Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's in Your cd Player - Page 174
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 174 of 384 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 3837
  1. #1731
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Yeah, that's about how I felt after a few spins. The first disc was great, but alot of the second disc was kinda...meh. It almost ran into each other and was not discernible between each song. I haven't really listened to the other albums much, only recently been listening to Baroness.



    After a road trip to parts of Kentucky and Chicago I've acquired some CDs, and quite liking them. Lich King, a thrash metal band, from Massachusetts and Sonic Pulse from Boston. Saw them at Chicago and had a blast watching them.
    Then songs kind of merging together is a solid point. There's only really two memorable moments on Green. Another thing that kind of annoys me is that in the twin guitar melodies, one guitar always has to have this weird fuzzy tone. Sounds a bit cheesy.

    I'll have to check those guys out.

  2. #1732
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Then songs kind of merging together is a solid point. There's only really two memorable moments on Green. Another thing that kind of annoys me is that in the twin guitar melodies, one guitar always has to have this weird fuzzy tone. Sounds a bit cheesy.

    I'll have to check those guys out.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a cool album, I don't usually say this with an album, but I just love how it sounds. Like having it as background music or something, it's kinda ambient most of the time. Don't really know what to say about his guitar tone. Was kinda expecting that from a prog rock band.

    Love the artwork too.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  3. #1733
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a cool album, I don't usually say this with an album, but I just love how it sounds. Like having it as background music or something, it's kinda ambient most of the time. Don't really know what to say about his guitar tone. Was kinda expecting that from a prog rock band.

    Love the artwork too.
    I agree with that, it's something good to put on in the background. More accessible, in a good way. I feel I could put it on in the car with my musically retarded cousin sitting there and he'd enjoy it, while more musically sophisticated people would enjoy it too.

    I wouldn't call them prog rock. Don't know what to label them, they used to be sludge. One thing's for sure, they are heavily influenced by Mastodon. Everything from the album packaging (back covers, inner booklet artwork), song titles, early vocal style, lead guitar licks and riffs. If the next Mastodon album is a return to heavyness, you can bet that the next Baroness album will be too. This effort reminds me of the new Opeth though. Not the sound, but in that it's a lot more laid back, and has more emphasis on a big moment in each song. Also, no growling or screaming.
    Last edited by vhfanjack; July 30th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

  4. #1734
    Only a little tardy
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,479
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I agree with that, it's something good to put on in the background. More accessible, in a good way. I feel I could put it on in the car with my musically retarded cousin sitting there and he'd enjoy it, while more musically sophisticated people would enjoy it too.

    I wouldn't call them prog rock. Don't know what to label them, they used to be sludge. One thing's for sure, they are heavily influenced by Mastodon. Everything from the album packaging (back covers, inner booklet artwork), song titles, early vocal style, lead guitar licks and riffs. If the next Mastodon album is a return to heavyness, you can bet that the next Baroness album will be too. This effort reminds me of the new Opeth though. Not the sound, but in that it's a lot more laid back, and has more emphasis on a big moment in each song. Also, no growling or screaming.
    Yeah, I didn't know what to label it as so I just put an umbrella term for it. I'm going to check out the previous releases this week. I don't really listen to Mastodon but I liked the new Opeth record. THough some of the songs melded together too much for me at some points.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

  5. #1735
    Like Mike
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    I had to leave Heritage on the shelf a few times and then revisit it a few times. I finally absorbed it all about three months ago, before that my mind would wander too much. Love the production on it! Everything sounds so organic.

  6. #1736
    Git some!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    8,459
    I liked a few songs off of Heritage, but most of it was kinda .... snoozefest. I guess I'm not built for proggy stuff. Well, some of it at least. Opeth was never my cup of tea anyways, but I did like the old school prog style they did on that album.
    Ready, Eddie!

  7. #1737
    Peace...
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I was listening to Pat Benatar yesterday, a SBD from the '81/Crimes of Passion, tour.
    I am obsessed with Neil Geraldo, i gotta say.
    I love that brief intro to, Hell is for children, that little riff that never comes back again.
    The guy was just the perfect player, lead-wise, rhythm-wise...
    His sound was great, clean & dirty, perfectly framing Pat's voice.
    He was a melodic but fiery player.

    Neil & Elliot Easton from the Cars, were just masters of playing the perfect part.
    Underated but equally great players.
    Your diverse musical knowledge never ceases to amaze me Unchained. Impressive indeed.

    I never put much thought into Neil Geraldo... I just know that their relationship plays a huge role in who Pat is, professionally and personally. What I am learning from this site is how one dimensional I can be with regards to music- I cling on to one component (singer, guitarist , lyrics) and then pay little attention to the other pieces that make up the song. Interesting...

    I remember picking bottles in 1979 and saving that money to buy my brother In the Heat of the Night for his birthday in May 1980. That album introduced me to the seductiveness, power and sexual nature of music (album cover for starters). Pat's voice is incredibly sensual (title track of said album for example). I love the tough and confidence behind No You Don't and then the cheeky fun side of Rated X and I Need a Lover. I have not heard these songs in decades!!

    Tropico was likely the last Pat album I gave a good listen to. We Belong. The simplicity is stunning, lyrically and vocally. Peaceful. Literally brings tears to my eyes.


    The Cars... another topic. Again- I had a connect for the obvious mysterious Ric Ocasek. Poppy, fun and clever music to my ears...

  8. #1738
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelah View Post
    Your diverse musical knowledge never ceases to amaze me Unchained. Impressive indeed.

    I never put much thought into Neil Geraldo... I just know that their relationship plays a huge role in who Pat is, professionally and personally. What I am learning from this site is how one dimensional I can be with regards to music- I cling on to one component (singer, guitarist , lyrics) and then pay little attention to the other pieces that make up the song. Interesting...

    I remember picking bottles in 1979 and saving that money to buy my brother In the Heat of the Night for his birthday in May 1980. That album introduced me to the seductiveness, power and sexual nature of music (album cover for starters). Pat's voice is incredibly sensual (title track of said album for example). I love the tough and confidence behind No You Don't and then the cheeky fun side of Rated X and I Need a Lover. I have not heard these songs in decades!!

    Tropico was likely the last Pat album I gave a good listen to. We Belong. The simplicity is stunning, lyrically and vocally. Peaceful. Literally brings tears to my eyes.


    The Cars... another topic. Again- I had a connect for the obvious mysterious Ric Ocasek. Poppy, fun and clever music to my ears...
    I've been listening to 'Magazine' and 'Little Queen' by Heart, due to a recent '77 article in Classic Rock.
    Heart was working on an album they were going to call 'magazine,' which they had this whole concept in mind.
    But then the record label fucked them over, mid recording, so Heart abandoned the label, but the label still owned
    'Magazine.'

    So Heart was forced to make an entire new second album, which became 'Little Queen.'
    Meanwhile, the label wanted to ride on Heart's coat-tails with radio, so they put out the incomplete
    "magazine," finished off by studio musicians.

    Ann Wilson was pissed, to say the least!

    So Heart had two albums getting airplay in 1977 ('Little Queen' had "Baracuda", but 'Magazine'
    featured one of my favorite Heart songs, "Heartless.")

    I guess Nancy Wilson & Heart guitarist extraordinaire, Roger Fischer, were lovers.
    I must say, Roger was like their Neal Giraldo, if you listen to early Heart.
    He added so many cool leads & textures to the songs.

  9. #1739
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Been really impressed by this '96 Chris Impellitteri bootleg i downloaded.
    I was never a big fan of the guy, but he's actually like Yngwie with much better riffs & songs.
    Bob Rock is also a really decent vocalist (why is everyone named Bob Rock, btw?)
    I love "Visual Prison," "For your Love," and "Countdown to the Revolution."

    I was never much into Katy Perry's music (just her insanely beautiful body & face), yet i love
    her new single, "Wide Awake."
    I'm hearing it everywhere, and i think it's a really good, pop tune.
    I love the way she says the words, "THE END."

    I can't remember, but is this the song connected to the marine video?

  10. #1740
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I can't remember, but is this the song connected to the marine video?
    That's Part of Me.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •