Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Roadie
    Hi fella's how ya all doin?I've been looking for this magazine article for ages and have managed to find it.This is taken from Guitar magazine Jan 1997,some of you have probably read this but for those who have'nt this is a letter from DLR after VH briefly got back together in '96 enjoy and i'll post Eddie's reaction to this letter later
    An Open Letter From Dave Lee Roth
    Oct 2,1996
    To Whom This May Interest:
    You've probably heard rumours that VH and i will not be consumating our highly publicised reunion.And since neither Eddie,nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip,I would like to go on record with the following:Eddie did it.
    It's no secret,nor am i ashamed of my unabashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original VH.a"couple of songs"was all i knew for sure when Edward and i got together 3 months ago to write them.At that time,the band tip toed around me sprinkling sentiments like"this is'nt a sure thing,Dave,this does'nt mean anything long term,Dave,we're still auditioning singers,Dave."I was cool.I was happy.I was in the moment.
    The next thing i knew,the 4 of us are doing a surprise walk on at the MTV awards.I told Eddie at that time i did'nt think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked;and that i did'nt want to imply by our presence that we were "back"if in fact it was just a quickie for old time's sake.
    Well aint hindsight always 20/20......Had i asked for something in writing,this would'nt have happened.Had i acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach,maybe this would'nt have happened.But i did'nt.Like i said-rapture.And,i love those guys.Do i trust them?That question never entered my mind.
    Then,a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did,that the band,along with their management,had already hired another singer,possibly as long as 3 months ago.I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV awards.It certainly explains Eddie's looked as uncomfortable as a man who had just a deal with the Devil.I can't think of a reason Eddie would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he already had someone,and then let me appear on MTV under the impression there was a great likelihood that VH were reuniting.As i said,i told him in no uncertain terms that i did'nt want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact,a band.
    And so i apologize to my fans and supporters,and to MTV.I was an unwitting participant in this deception.It sickens me that the "reunion"as seen on MTV was nothing more that a publicity stunt.If i am guilty of anything,i'm guilty of denial.I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else.Those who know me know that trickery was never my style."
    I'm no gynaecologist,but i'll have a look!

I am now banned because I acted like an idiot
    It's Dave's version of what happened after the 96 VH reunion debacle along with what he thinks about Eddie & what happens when two egos clash which is the same old story in rock & roll.

Band Manager
    I take Dave at his word...there is no reason for him to lie and there is no precedent for him lying...on the other hand there is plenty of precedent to suggest that Eddie is lying and his hatred for dave gives him motive...in a court those two elements would be devastating...

GUILTY EDDIE
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=lemonchiffon][COLOR=Teal][SIZE=4][COLOR=Red][B][SIZE=2]The plot thickens...

No cheer******s allowed!
    You know, i was thinking about it this morning. Lets face it, kids, Dave is nobody's fool & highly intelligent. I seriously doubt it's exactly as he says, and all the deception is coming from Eddie's end. Roth is so smart that if he knew he was being taken advantage of, he'd smell it from a mile away. I mean, think about it.

Band Manager
    I disagree...there are too many things that would make him think of the posssibility of a reunion and then his guard would be down...once the guard was down then they could get away with a lot more...which they did.

AND once again...it has not been proven that Roth has ever lied in the past so...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=lemonchiffon][COLOR=Teal][SIZE=4][COLOR=Red][B][SIZE=2]The plot thickens...