Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fair Warning Tour Report
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Webmaster
    Thanks to Jane for sending me this! :184:

Fair Warning, the "WDFA" Tour 1981
    from 12 may till 24 october in the USA & Canada.
    Some info about the Fair Waning Tour, also known as the "We don't Fuck Around" Tour.
    For the first time there is no World Tour intended. The band only has a tour in the USA & Canada and holds 86 shows. Warnerbrother shot several shows, under which the three in Oakland (11 till 13 june) "Hear about it later, So this is love and Unchained" where used for promotion material.
    The Tour ends in "Tangerine Bowl" in Orlondo.
    Van Halen is playing there in the suporting program for the "Rolling Stones" The picture of the backside of Diverdown was taken on the particular show.

Tales from the road; The Brown M&M story

Many people from the music industrie postulate high standarts when they go on Tour but Van Halen has the name for it so it seems.
    The M&M story is legendary and is also very treu.
    What's the story about ?.......
    Well as a band you have to fix everything by contract. Don't you say what and howmany drinks and what kind of food you need you'll dry out and starf to death. In the Van Halen contract is also a clausule that in the wintertime, when there is a heavy snowfall , there has to be a snow-plough and there has to be enough brine present so that they can freely inload and outload the trucks.
    The Van Halen production is gigantic and there for the auditoriums need to be good prepared ; are the entrence gates big enough? Can the floor bear the weight of the equipment ?. etc etc etc
    The bizar thing is that you have to fix every little detail by contract. Cause it's even more painful if you find yourself in an agravating situation if you don't fix it all by contract.
    And now the M&M story (cause you can fix it all by contract remember .)
    Van Halen has got the name in 1980 that they will distroy the dressingroom and refuse to give a show if there wont be any M&M's present backstage. Even more bizar not only M&M's but only without the brown ones !!!!!! And this story is treu! The only reason why Van Halen puted this in there contract with the auditoriums is that they want to make sure that the contract has been followed accurately and this little line is a good controle for that!
    Statement by Van Halen
    "Do you find brown M&M's backstage then you have to overlook the whole production because they probably made misstakes on aranging things for the technical department too !!!!!".

And so it happend one time on the ' Fair Warning' Tour that Dave found brown M&M's backstage and he porsonally distroyed the dressingoom.
    In that same Hall the weight of the production caused for $80.000 dollars on damage to the floor because it couldn't bear the equipment. All because the people of that Hall didn't read the contract accurately. In the press an articall appeared that Van Halen, after finding brown M&M's in the dressingroom, they caused for $85.000 dollars on damage to the Hall !!. ...........Van Halen finds it amusing and love the free promotion so they leave the story this way.

Aquipment

The production wheights 175 ton and is larger then the production from the former Tour. And is with the equipment of 90.000 watt and a light show of 1.500.000 watt, the biggest Tour in history of Rockmusic. The crew counts 75 people. This was a big event for 21 years ago!.
    Edward
    Bisides the "Frankenstein" Eddie uses also for back up two different white/black striped guitars. He only used these two striped guitars during the "Fair Warning" Tour.
    Mike
    Just like the former tour Mike uses mainly the "79 Yamaha BB2000" and sometimes a "Fender Precision".
    Alex
    The tradition leads on with Alex his drum kit, again it is bigger then the one on the former tour. The black/white striped "Ludwig"has now four bassdrums (he only uses two of them though)
    On the end of the show there is fire-works again and on the last extra song the frame of the gong will be set on fire.
    Dave
    Normaly Dave uses for "Ice Creamman" a decrepit acoustic guitar but for this one he has the "Dave Sickle" guitar

Personal
    Personal Manager :Noel Monk
    Bookkeeper :Gail Liss
    Road Manager :Steve Vando
    Sage Manager :Patrick Whiteley
    Lighting/production Dir. :Pete Angelus
    Stage Tech :Larry Hostler
    Guitar Tech :Rudy Leiren
    Bass Tech :Kevin Dugan
    Drum Tech :Gregg Emerson
    Wardrobe :Nancy Grossi
    Security Director :Eddie Anderson

Important tour dates
    12-05 : Opening tour in Halifax, Canada
    11-06 : Show in Oakland is been filmed by Warnerbrothers
    12-06 : Same
    13-06 : Same
    24-10 : End of the tour in Orlando.

Setlist
    On Fire, Sinner's Swing!, Drum solo, Hear About It Later, So This Is Love?, Jamie's Cryin', Bass solo, Runnin' With The Devil, Dance The Night Away, Sunday Afternoon In The Park, Romeo Delight, Everybody Wants Some!!, Ice Cream Man, Mean Street (Without the intro), Guitar solo ( Eruption, Spanish Fly, Cathedral, Tora! Tora!, Mean Street (intro)), Feel Your Love Tonight & You Really Got Me.
    Extra
    Unchained & Ain't Talking 'bout Love
    Extra song
    Lucille

Tour Facts
    Amount of shows : 86
    Amount of Countries ; 2
    Amount of public : 9400- 24.000
    Playtime : 100 minutes
    Support acts : The Fools, 3 Out of 5 Doctors & G- Force
    Tourbook has 20 pages and is filled with weird artistic layouts
    Webmaster
    ClassicVanHalen.com

Dance Baby!
    Originally posted by VH Freak@Nov 1 2004, 09:13 PM
    Warnerbrother shot several shows, under which the three in Oakland (11 till 13 june) "Hear about it later, So this is love and Unchained" where used for promotion material.
    Where is that footage? :blink: Make a fucking DVD with it. :angry: Think it would sell? I do.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Cheers everyone !
    Thanks Freak for putting the report on the board , although I'm sorry that you left the pictures and the rest out .

Punkatomic, the clips are on the internet some where to find. I have them stored on my pc and I downloaded it from the net. I can't remember where I found them though , it was some time ago.
    If I only knew how to put them in here ...........I couldn't even put the report that I worked out in here :lol: :lol: go figure .But you are browsing the internet for pictures and stuff alot, right? And that's exactly how I found them. One day you will see them my friend, they are out there!!. :184:

Dance Baby!
    Originally posted by jane@Nov 2 2004, 03:53 AM
    Thanks Freak for putting the report on the board , although I'm sorry that you left the pictures and the rest out .

Punkatomic, the clips are on the internet some where to find. I have them stored on my pc and I downloaded it from the net. I can't remember where I found them though , it was some time ago.
    If I only knew how to put them in here ...........I couldn't even put the report that I worked out in here :lol: :lol: go figure .But you are browsing the internet for pictures and stuff alot, right? And that's exactly how I found them. One day you will see them my friend, they are out there!!. :184:
    I have those videos. I wish Van Halen would just release some of the old footage. My clips are grainy. Would like to see the whole show.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Permanent vacation
    Originally posted by VH Freak@Nov 2 2004, 12:13 AM
    Important tour dates
    12-05 : Opening tour in Halifax, Canada
    No f'ing way! h34r: I'd heard that they played here in the early 80s, but as the opening show of the Fair Warning Tour?! that's INSANE! If only there were a boot....
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I dont care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

No cheer******s allowed!
    someone told me they only recorded those three songs from the fair warning tour, to later be broadcast on don kirshner's 'rock concert.' So there may not be any more footage from what looked to be their best tour. I mean, Edward is at his peak. Check out the outro solo to, 'so this is love?' Fucking kick-ass!

THEE bassist for VH
    The whole Oakland show was recorded three nights in a row right? Trouble is, Alice won't let Ed release it! :angry:

GF, were your parents fans? You weren't around yet huh?

Thanx Jane for the info! :184:

Cheers everyone !
    Originally posted by i1sum2!@Nov 3 2004, 05:37 PM

Thanx Jane for the info! :184:
    You're more then welcome SUM

Metal Up Your A$$!
    Again, Thanks Jane for those infos. Perfect job. :184:
    What a shame they don't bring the rest of the concert set in video stuff.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC