Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
classic VH vs. the new songs
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    There are many people on this site who's opinions really strike a chord (no pun intended) with me. The true classic VH fanatics, who like myself, just cannot accept a guy named sammy fronting the world's greatest rock 'roll band. However, possibly due to a long stretch of being Eddie-less, i have found myself slipping into unchartered waters. I listened to the major broadcast, over the weekend, and found myself appreciating this brand new batch of songs. I had the radio cranked and got the full effect. I was tuning out sammy, and just listening to Eddie's parts. 'Learning to see' was pretty incredible. Plus, his tone was pretty powerful. Even the little riffs in 'it's about time' were happening. How do you guys feel now, after a few weeks of living with these songs? You can't compare it to the classic era, but there are some cool ideas.

Bop bada, shoobe doo wah
    As much as a Diamond Dave fan that I am....I can't deny what Van Halen is with Sam. He's no Dave Lee Roth for sure....but then again....he isn't Gary Cherone, either. I was listening to the demos today, and still find Ed's guitar sound. He still has the same feel. Just to see the progression over the years is awesome. I am set for my 20th row center seat July 22nd in St. Paul, MN. Too bad Dave couldn't join in for old times sake.

Roadie
    Originally posted by unchainedguitars@Jun 15 2004, 02:35 PM
    There are many people on this site who's opinions really strike a chord (no pun intended) with me. The true classic VH fanatics, who like myself, just cannot accept a guy named sammy fronting the world's greatest rock 'roll band. However, possibly due to a long stretch of being Eddie-less, i have found myself slipping into unchartered waters. I listened to the major broadcast, over the weekend, and found myself appreciating this brand new batch of songs. I had the radio cranked and got the full effect. I was tuning out sammy, and just listening to Eddie's parts. 'Learning to see' was pretty incredible. Plus, his tone was pretty powerful. Even the little riffs in 'it's about time' were happening. How do you guys feel now, after a few weeks of living with these songs? You can't compare it to the classic era, but there are some cool ideas.
    Then I think you should change your handle from "Unchainedguitars" to one of vangaygars luv ballads song titles and move over to the links, they luv this kinda talk over there. Listen the hardcore CLASSIC VAN HALEN fans on this site are willing to throw you a life jacket just in case, let us know. My life jacket for you is listen to "Fair Warning" maybe the song........UNCHAINED. :184:

THEE bassist for VH
    You are right Hang 'Em, it's classic or nothing bro! So, after the tour fizzles, DLR will secretly get the call that he's been long overdue for, oh say, bout twenty years or so, from the Edward!

Permanent vacation
    There is no comparison, pure and simple.

The flat-out mediocrity of It's About Time left me stunned. A B-side to Balance maybe, but the for first new song after 6 years?? Ugh! No! And Up For Breakfast was a flat-out embarrassment... I'm a huge fan of Ed's work, don't get me wrong (I'd have to be, considering how often I defend Van Halen III... ), but these new tunes don't do anything for me. After six years of silence and ten albums worth of material, the "been there, done that" vibe I got from those tunes appalled me. Learning To See was the best of them, I found, but Van Hagar have still done better in the past... and what really bothered me about that song in particular was the solo section. So many overdubs! Eddie mentioned something about their being six guitar parts in there. Really,why bother with that? Whatever happened to the days where guitarists could just go into the studio, pull off three blistering, off-the-cuff solos, then pick the best one and maybe double it? The more rigid, chancey playing on the early albums was a big part of the excitement... the sort of stuff on the new material doesn't capture any of that.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Cathedral =II=
    This thread reminds me of the first time I saw Boston. Their studio stuff sounded great, but when it came time to play the songs LIVE, technology made it tough to pull off.
    Van Halen used to be about ballistic balls to the wall Rock and Roll with what i call a Freestyle Edge to the music.
    That Edge was solely due to Roth and his desire to leave things as they happened naturally, leaving mistakes in the takes.

The worst possible thing that could have happened to Edward was allowed to happen by him becoming to fanatical about his product.
    Overdubs used to be used on VH tracks as a nuance and now have become a major body of the music written.
    Of the 3 songs they just released i have to say that only one has ability to grow on me, but not enough that i would drive down the street blaring it at 11, and that song is "Learning to See".
    That song embodies so much of what Ed used to be about as far as guitar playing until that cluster fuck he calls a solo. It was as if the song became another tune completely different from what came before and what came after it.
    It was also very dangerously close to being a remake of "Where Eagles Fly".

Spammy instantly pissed me off with the tired and used up beginning lyrics "Time after time we walked past the window"
    How fucking much inspiration did that take?
    See, that is my whole problem with Van Hagar. They are right back to using the "Play It Safe" style of writing and it is just a shame that Ed has reached a point where he isn't really trying to do anything new.

My point is this:
    Van Hagar has become just another run of the mill STUDIO band that has lost any resemblance of the MIGHTY Van Halen entity it used to be. Overdubs out the ass only hinder the LIVE performance in my humbled opinion.

I would wager that the only fans of Van Hagar were also the only fans of Cokes NEW Formula.
    I'll stick with the Classic Coke thank you very much, and that goes for my Classic Van Halen as well.

"No Dave Got Them The Grave" and it's all a matter of piling the dirt on top of them now.

I am thankfull for one thing...That they didn't record a whole new album of this garbage.

Edward, if you are reading this..............CALL DAVE, LIKE YESTERDAY!

THEE bassist for VH
    At least Cherone sang the DLR songs with conviction! Hagar drags them down the street with a ball and chain and does it begrudgingly!

Boston was too technical for their own good! Never heard anybody say a good word about their live show.

Ed seems to have forgotten that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I can't comprehend this new guitar style! Keep it simple Ed! And get yourself a new singer...

Roadie
    i1sum 2 & Catherdral II :184:

Crazy ass MOFO's who speak the truth and nothin but!

Forget about the spam crap, we don't need it. The less we speak about him the better. Let us not allow that MOTHERF__KER spoil our luv for the greatest band ever on and off the stage.

Dave or the GRAVE.

IT AIN'T VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Forget what i said earlier, i was drunk off my ass & enjoying this new girl. I am a complete friggin' idiot and i want what i wrote previously, to be forgotten. "Learning to see' is decent gyitar-wise, but everything else is weak. I did listen to 'fair warning' and there is no comparison between the old stuff and new. However, as far as overdubs are concerned, there are quite a few on that amazing album! Overdubs can sometimes add some interesting layers to already great songs. I always hear something new when listening to 'FW.' Check out 'Dirty Movies,' with all those twisted slide licks, that just enhance the sleaziness of that particular song. Throw on 'hear about it later' and hear Eddie rip all these melodic little licks over that signature riff. It's a far different beast than VHI, but probablly the greatest Halen disc of all time!

Groupie
    Originally posted by Cathedral =II=@Jun 16 2004, 11:55 PM
    This thread reminds me of the first time I saw Boston. Their studio stuff sounded great, but when it came time to play the songs LIVE, technology made it tough to pull off.
    Van Halen used to be about ballistic balls to the wall Rock and Roll with what i call a Freestyle Edge to the music.
    That Edge was solely due to Roth and his desire to leave things as they happened naturally, leaving mistakes in the takes.

The worst possible thing that could have happened to Edward was allowed to happen by him becoming to fanatical about his product.
    Overdubs used to be used on VH tracks as a nuance and now have become a major body of the music written.
    Of the 3 songs they just released i have to say that only one has ability to grow on me, but not enough that i would drive down the street blaring it at 11, and that song is "Learning to See".
    That song embodies so much of what Ed used to be about as far as guitar playing until that cluster fuck he calls a solo. It was as if the song became another tune completely different from what came before and what came after it.
    It was also very dangerously close to being a remake of "Where Eagles Fly".

Spammy instantly pissed me off with the tired and used up beginning lyrics "Time after time we walked past the window"
    How fucking much inspiration did that take?
    See, that is my whole problem with Van Hagar. They are right back to using the "Play It Safe" style of writing and it is just a shame that Ed has reached a point where he isn't really trying to do anything new.

My point is this:
    Van Hagar has become just another run of the mill STUDIO band that has lost any resemblance of the MIGHTY Van Halen entity it used to be. Overdubs out the ass only hinder the LIVE performance in my humbled opinion.

I would wager that the only fans of Van Hagar were also the only fans of Cokes NEW Formula.
    I'll stick with the Classic Coke thank you very much, and that goes for my Classic Van Halen as well.

"No Dave Got Them The Grave" and it's all a matter of piling the dirt on top of them now.

I am thankfull for one thing...That they didn't record a whole new album of this garbage.

Edward, if you are reading this..............CALL DAVE, LIKE YESTERDAY!
    Bingo!!!!! You hit the nail right on the head. I could not have said it better myself.