Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dirty Movies or Top Jimmy? - Page 6
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ravennaloveseddie View Post
    Hi guys! I haven't been around too much----working major overtime at the job. Other stuff goin' on....major life changes. Not to be cryptic but I'm not much of a social butterfly at the moment....and the internet service where I live is a Pain in the Arse, so I don't get to play often even if I feel like it....

Thanks for the kind words on my post---you make me smile.
    Yes, but we supersede anything in your personal life. We're THAT important.

No cheer******s allowed!
    WZLX played 'DOA' the other night, but preceded it with 'Spanish Fly.'

I was reading a book, and literally had to stop, because 'Fly' STILL (after all these years) blows my mind.
    Just to hear that on the radio, in that moment, was like, "HOW does somebody come up with that AND execute it?"
    Hendrix wasn't even remotely on the same plane.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post

I was reading a book, and literally had to stop, because 'Fly' STILL (after all these years) blows my mind.
    Just to hear that on the radio, in that moment, was like, "HOW does somebody come up with that AND execute it?"
    Amen, brother.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Love ya moms......

There used to be a radio show here on Satuday Nights called the Mullet.....They played a lot of obscure stuff from Blackfoot to Crue to Zep and Metallica. One of the DJ's loved early VH and played DOA quite often but i dont think ive ever ever heard SF on the radio.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    There used to be a radio show here on Satuday Nights called the Mullet.....They played a lot of obscure stuff from Blackfoot to Crue to Zep and Metallica. One of the DJ's loved early VH and played DOA quite often but i dont think ive ever ever heard SF on the radio.
    First time i ever heard it on the radio that i can remember, and it sounded AWESOME.

Technically, that piece still astounds me.
    THAT is some serious left-hand workout!
    But, musically, the composition makes sense.

I'll never forget my snobby, Hendrix hating classical guitar teacher, hearing that, and being
    blown away by it.

EVH diehard ...
    I've never heard Spanish Fly on the radio , ever !

D.O.A. was played a couple of times when i was in high school , if i remember right ?

I recall UG's story about his classical guitar teacher commenting on SP for the first time . There were lots of respected and talented players who were blown away by Ed's technique and phrasing on that one . All these years later and it's still a masterpiece composition .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    I've never heard Spanish Fly on the radio , ever !

D.O.A. was played a couple of times when i was in high school , if i remember right ?

I recall UG's story about his classical guitar teacher commenting on SP for the first time . There were lots of respected and talented players who were blown away by Ed's technique and phrasing on that one . All these years later and it's still a masterpiece composition .
    Yeah, my teacher (a fat, Italian, Segovia loving purist) said: "...absolutely marvelous technique...wonderful movement."

He was critiquing the piece, as we played it on a cassette player.

But my friend, Sean, was a Hendrix obsessive (i was the Ed-head).
    My teacher would tear into Sean's musical taste, "Jimi Hendrix is a rudimentary player, not even a good primitive blues player."
    He thought Jimi was a hack, which kinda baffled us.

EVH diehard ...
    I don't think Hendrix was a hack at all . He was from a very different era and had a contrasting approach , when compared to an EVH .
    Right now i'm listening to White Lion and loving the melodies and finesse of Vito's guitar playing .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    I don't think Hendrix was a hack at all . He was from a very different era and had a contrasting approach , when compared to an EVH .
    Right now i'm listening to White Lion and loving the melodies and finesse of Vito's guitar playing .
    Vito was a hack!

(just kidding)

That very first White Lion record was pretty heavy, the one before "Pride."
    I used to like "All the fallen men" and the one with the acoustic shred intro (Valhalla?)

EVH diehard ...
    Vito was a hack!

(just kidding)

That very first White Lion record was pretty heavy, the one before "Pride."
    I used to like "All the fallen men" and the one with the acoustic shred intro (Valhalla?)
    Haha . Nice try !

Seriously though , Vito has always been a fav of mine too . He's one of the very few that i would rank as close to being a peer of EVH . It's a short list , but Vito had a certain element to his playing that most others don't IMO.
    His incredible chops are impressive to say the least , but his melodies and songwriting were way above par also . It's not all 32nd note runs and string skipped arpeggios , even though he could do all that as good as anyone . He made music and had FUN while he played - two important EVH attributes .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."