Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dirty Movies or Top Jimmy? - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I've really become taken by "Top Jimmy."

The rhythm guitar IS awesome, and another thing you'd never hear the guys from Ratt or Yngwie
    Malmsteen doing.
    I love the riff he plays behind the solo, it's just so damn cool.

And the solo in TJ has always been a favorite of mine.
    Very off the wall, kinda like the approach taken in "I'll Wait."

Ed got pretty fusiony on 1984, now that i think about it.
    Some of those lines, even in "Drop Dead Legs," are so 'outside' and horn-ish.
    When 1984 was released it was all about Hot For Teacher and Panama,being those were the rockers radio was playing.Ya gravitated to those riffs first as well...addicting.But soon after,for those that had the record it was all about Drop Dead legs,GGB,HOP,and TJ.I played the shit out of TJ the summer of '84.The rhythm,the solo...couldn't get enough of it.
    You're spot on UG!! The solo in TJ absolute brilliance! Love the tremolo at the end.Like you said,similar to I'll Wait.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I've really become taken by "Top Jimmy."

The rhythm guitar IS awesome, and another thing you'd never hear the guys from Ratt or Yngwie
    Malmsteen doing.
    I love the riff he plays behind the solo, it's just so damn cool.

And the solo in TJ has always been a favorite of mine.
    Very off the wall, kinda like the approach taken in "I'll Wait."

Ed got pretty fusiony on 1984, now that i think about it.
    Some of those lines, even in "Drop Dead Legs," are so 'outside' and horn-ish.
    Hearing what he was doing on that record, the Wilf Life soundtracks and some of the instrumental stuff on 5150 makes me really bummed out that Dave left and that he lost his motivation (and went on auto pilot).
    He was starting to come up with some very interesting ideas.
    Were they or would they be as good as the first four albums?
    Maybe not as classic sounding, but to fans of more fusion and progressive stuff, it would be some great stuff to listen to.
    It's like he was about to break through and reach a new level of technicality, with the new studio and everything there to record the new ideas in.
    Sadly, we'll probably never know what the other ideas sounded like.

Roadie
    I managed to isolate the guitar track for Dirty Movies (sorry, soundcloud wont let me upload it copyright violation) holy fuck is it awesome. The slides sound awesome but rhythm track is off the wall ferocious. The only thing missing from Dirty Movies is a proper solo and it probably would've been a bigger or at least more popular tune. Imagine the solo to Beats Working (or something similar) placed before the breakdown on DM. :drooling:
    Last edited by ErickC; September 26th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post
    I managed to isolate the guitar track for Dirty Movies (sorry, soundcloud wont let me upload it copyright violation) holy fuck is it awesome. The slides sound awesome but rhythm track is off the wall ferocious. The only thing missing from Dirty Movies is a proper solo and it probably would've been a bigger or at least more popular tune. Imagine the solo to Beats Working (or something similar) placed before the breakdown on DM. :drooling:
    Yeah! I have heard it before and it's glorious. I mentioned the guitar during the verse, but I meant the chorus. That crunching on the muted strings is so cool.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    He's doing the atomic punk/palm slices, during the chorus to "Dirty Movies."
    He does that effect in "Mean Street" too.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Hearing what he was doing on that record, the Wilf Life soundtracks and some of the instrumental stuff on 5150 makes me really bummed out that Dave left and that he lost his motivation (and went on auto pilot).
    He was starting to come up with some very interesting ideas.
    Were they or would they be as good as the first four albums?
    Maybe not as classic sounding, but to fans of more fusion and progressive stuff, it would be some great stuff to listen to.
    It's like he was about to break through and reach a new level of technicality, with the new studio and everything there to record the new ideas in.
    Sadly, we'll probably never know what the other ideas sounded like.
    His solo's were getting "out there" on '84, less blues based then say, WACF.

HFT is more "Clapton on steroids", but HOP & DDL are pretty trippy.

Git some!
    Ahh... Top Jimmy isn't exactly a favorite, but Dirty Movies is probably one of the least on FW... I think I might go with Top Jimmy. I think that song is in a different tuning? Which makes it really stand out in terms of chords and whatnot.
    Ready, Eddie!

Roadie
    Dirty movies for sure. Great tune.
    Rob

Band Manager
    What don't I like about Dirty Movies?

I hate the chorus.
    Hate it.

I hate the "Take it offfff.... Take it allll Offf..."

Can I get into other parts of the song?
    Well, yeah...
    Still don't like the song though.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    What don't I like about Dirty Movies?

I hate the chorus.
    Hate it.

I hate the "Take it offfff.... Take it allll Offf..."

Can I get into other parts of the song?
    Well, yeah...
    Still don't like the song though.
    Musically, "Dirty Movies" is loaded with texture & very interesting.
    You got Edward slammin' on both guitar & Bass, while Alex just has such a killer drum sound happening.
    It woulda been a great, great instrumental on it's own.
    It's funky, it's heavy, it's mean.

But, lyrically, the song does kind of stumble.
    Dave sounds good, but the chorus & vocal melody seems kind of not quite on par with the musical end.

I can see what you're sayin.'