Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dirty Movies or Top Jimmy? - Page 4
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Musically, "Dirty Movies" is loaded with texture & very interesting.
    You got Edward slammin' on both guitar & Bass, while Alex just has such a killer drum sound happening.
    It woulda been a great, great instrumental on it's own.
    It's funky, it's heavy, it's mean.

But, lyrically, the song does kind of stumble.
    Dave sounds good, but the chorus & vocal melody seems kind of not quite on par with the musical end.

I can see what you're sayin.'
    Yeah Ug, that's pretty much the way it is for me.
    Dirty Movies is probably the only VH song where Daveness doesn't work for me.

I can get into the other parts - there's always something cool to get into - it is VH after all.
    But over all, the song as a whole - I never got into it.

Yours truly, As Is
    Wow...gonna have to disagree with Inc and UG here. Love the vocal melody and the chorus along with the music and tongue in cheek lyrics. The chorus just slides along great with Ed's guitar IMO.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Wow...gonna have to disagree with Inc and UG here. Love the vocal melody and the chorus along with the music and tongue in cheek lyrics. The chorus just slides along great with Ed's guitar IMO.
    I love the tune completely. "Pictures on the silver screen...." that part is perfect with the music, and the lyrical theme of the song. The way Roth drags the words out, slightly warbled, makes it sound surreal, sleazy, and kinda creepy. I like that. "Daddy's little sweetie after some damn rainbow"...that is one of Roth's best lines ever, right up there with "at an early age he hits the streets, and winds up tied with who he meets". Roth captures delinquency so well, I would swear he spent time in a juvenile detention center.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I love the tune completely. "Pictures on the silver screen...." that part is perfect with the music, and the lyrical theme of the song. The way Roth drags the words out, slightly warbled, makes it sound surreal, sleazy, and kinda creepy. I like that. "Daddy's little sweetie after some damn rainbow"...that is one of Roth's best lines ever, right up there with "at an early age he hits the streets, and winds up tied with who he meets". Roth captures delinquency so well, I would swear he spent time in a juvenile detention center.
    Exactly. I think Dave purposely dragged the words out as a way of mimicking Ed's slide guitar lines. Surreal, sleazy...you nailed it. To me, this is a great example of the extremely palpable chemistry that Ed and Dave have always had writing songs together.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Like Mike
    I think the lyrics are fine. I don't really pay attention to lyrics, but the chorus is really catchy to me. Lord knows that if Sammy were to write on the same topic, the chorus would be "watching my baby in a p*rno film, ow yeah baby, it's so gooood!" or something.

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I think the lyrics are fine. I don't really pay attention to lyrics, but the chorus is really catchy to me. Lord knows that if Sammy were to write on the same topic, the chorus would be "watching my baby in a p*rno film, ow yeah baby, it's so gooood!" or something.
    I spewed my tea laughing at the thought.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Roadie
    managed to find a place i could upload the pseudo-iso guitar track for Dirty Movies, check it

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/ulONPtYUEc/

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post
    managed to find a place i could upload the pseudo-iso guitar track for Dirty Movies, check it

Holy shit, that sounds sick!

Like i said, this thing would have made a great instrumental, there's so much music happening within it.
    I love how the slide playing STILL sounds like Eddie, just turbo charged, somehow.
    Unbelievable rhythm track.
    Man, was that guy good!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post

thanks for this !!!!!
    what a fantastic track to hear in that manner . very thick dropped D riffs with lots of crunch . Ed's work on FW is still outstanding to this day .

on topic , i like both tracks for what they are .
    i'd have to pick Top Jimmy by a hair though . no rhyme or deep reason , i just prefer it . Eddie's creative tunings and chordal work are killer . the intro harmonics sound space aged with the stereo panning via the Ripley guitar and for the fact that this song has an actual guitar solo .
    a really good one !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Peace...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Today I would vote for Dirty Movies as well. You capture my thoughts on this song 1234over, particularly the lyrics you mention. I think Dave gives off the cool, part pessimist-part realist, aloof rock star vibe perfectly here.

My least fave part of the song is the "take it off" lyric, although I adore Al's drums...

Top Jimmy has always been a take it or leave it song for me. That being said, I tend to change VH faves with the seasons of life. I became addicted to And the Cradle Will Rock during the last tour. This tour Panama and Outta Love Again hooked me up...