Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Band Manager
    I know this topic has been beaten to death over the last week at VHForums, and that we're all in agreeance that the guys at Rolling Stone are smoking some good crack, but how about giving your list of the top 10, 20, or more guitarists of all time? Just FYI, here's a link to RS's crap list: http://www.rollingstone.com/feature....id=1917

OK, here's mine:

1. Eddie Van Halen
    2. Jimi Hendrix
    3. Jimmy Page
    4. Eric Clapton
    5. Jeff Beck
    6. Stevie Ray Vaughan
    7. Joe Satriani
    8. Steve Vai
    9. Randy Rhoads
    10. Angus Young
    11. David Gilmour
    12. Brian May
    13. Tony Iommi
    14. Slash
    15. Kirk Hammett
    16. Carlos Santana
    17. Ritchie Blackmore
    18. Pete Townshend
    19. Billy Gibbons
    20. Joe Perry
    Life's a pretty sweet fruit.

Permanent vacation
    I was appalled when I stumbled across this list (and still am&#33

Eddie at 70? Tony Iommi at 86? Angus Young at 96? And the guy from the fuckin' White Stripes at 17??

Eddie's dropped a bit on my list, but I can almost gaurantee that if / when he releases another album, he'll retake my #1 spot:

1) Frank Zappa
    2) Steve Morse
    3) Tony Iommi
    4) Ritchie Blackmore
    5) Jeff Beck
    6) Joe Satriani
    7) Eddie Van Halen
    8) Steve Vai
    9) Jason Becker
    10) Randy Rhoads
    11) Eric Johnson
    12) Jimmy Page
    13) Joe Perry
    14) Robert Fripp
    15) John McLaughlin
    16) Angus Young
    17) Slash
    18) Brian Setzer
    19) Buckethead
    20) Al Di Meola
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Band Manager
    i can't do it.
    eddie is number one. that's the only for sure, for now.
    rolling stone is dumb.
    It's not who you sleep with, it's who'll sleep with you again!

I hate rolling stone. It always seems like when the media tries to rank shit, they end up giving us shit, like Bush for instance!

Anyway, as for listing one, two, three, I don't do that...
    way too hard, plus with the different styles, seems unfair to try to compare and put one above the other...

Actually tried doing this with bands, but then I realized, hell, Rush isn't even like Van Halen or The Stones or what else, so hard to compare any bands for that matter also...

Personal favorites are Jimmy Page and Hendrix. DLR is what got me into Van Halen, although I admit Edward is awesome also, or was awesome...

Peace!

Roadie
    Man, that RS shit is a joke.
    No use bragging on though.

Too many greats for me to rank 'em in orders, but I really dig:
    The mighty EVH
    Jimi Hendrix
    SRV
    Vai
    Satch
    David Gilmour
    Blackmore
    Jimmy Page
    Jeff Beck
    Clapton
    Rhoads
    Slash
    Hammet
    Di Meola
    'n Tons more.

Honourable Mentions: Petrucci, Gilbert 'n Tom Morello
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is - as you desire, so is your will. As you will, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."
    - Brihadaranyaka
    Upanishad IV.4.5
    "Let's Play" * * * * * *- *Alex Van Halen

*WABISABI!!

Permanent vacation
    Steve Vai actually made a post on his message board in a topic about the RS list, so I thought I'd copy & paste it here... man, if only OTHER guitar virtuosos would learn to communicate with fans via internet.... hint, hint.

"Rolling Stone? Isn't that the magazine that had the Olson twins on the cover a few months ago?

If I was going to give my thoughts on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Greatest Guitarists of all time I would say, first of all, playing the guitar is a form of expressive art and as such can not be subject to a rating system or point structure. If one person feels that someone is the best guitarist in the world then they are the best to that person, and nobody else has the authority to tell them they're wrong. It's completely subjective because it's art.

Having said that, I think a better title for the Rolling Stone list should be "Rolling Stone's Top 100 Favorite Guitar Players of all Time". Then it would be clear that it's their opinion. It's tremendously megalomaniacal and ignorant, not to mention irresponsible for a magazine like that to state that their opinion is supreme by calling it "The" greatest guitar players.... Sounds to me like a couple of shmo's with a God complex sitting around making universal declarations on art when what that magazine really is is Trendy American Pop Wall paper.

If Rolling Stone really wanted to put together some kind of integral list of the Top 100 Guitar Players, they should make a list of 100 of their favorite living guitar players, and then go to those people and ask them to create a list of who they think are the guitar players that have contributed the most to the profile of the instrument throughout history. Then take those 100 lists and amalgamate them into a top 100. Even then it would be subjective but at least that list would have been constructed by people who know and understand the instrument, and have more insight into making such a list than some magazine editors.

For the record, I would never expect to be a part of any list that appears in Rolling Stone, as I'm sure my contributions fall far below their radar."
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Roadie
    Hah! This guy is umm... intelligent.
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is - as you desire, so is your will. As you will, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."
    - Brihadaranyaka
    Upanishad IV.4.5
    "Let's Play" * * * * * *- *Alex Van Halen

*WABISABI!!

Band Manager
    Word, Vai's the man.
    Life's a pretty sweet fruit.

Band Manager
    wow, steve vai hit it on the head. good for him.
    It's not who you sleep with, it's who'll sleep with you again!