Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VHND Eat Em and Smile Retrospective
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Band Manager

VHND Eat Em and Smile Retrospective

http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/28/eat-e...retrospective/

It's nice to see this Sheehan conversation referenced. But the quotes from the text don't really paint the same picture that I got from the book, where Sheehan is told by EVH that Roth was fired, but switched his story later to appear the victim.

http://classicvanhalen.com/forum/sho...hlight=sheehan

The day before Sheehan left for LA, he called EVH, told him he was coming to LA, and invited him to a show at the Palladium. EVH said he would try to make it, and then Sheehan mentioned that Roth had called him..."what, you're kidding...Okay, I gotta tell you...don't tell anybody okay?....we fired the fucker". He asked Sheehan to call him after he meets up with Roth "we wanna know what he is doing now".

Then Sheehan says that though they announced that Roth had quit, he thinks..."they changed it because they figured they'd lose face with their fans if they said he was fired. But then again, maybe he did quit. Who knows, the truth lies somewhere in between in situations like that".
    Last edited by 1234over; July 29th, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Love ya moms......
    LOL not surprised at all, I am convinced at this point{not 100% certain}that Roth quit the band and wasn't fired. It says as much in Dave's book. This band wasted a lot of good years with childish drama and BS. Time that they never were able to get back. I bought both albums when they came out{5150 and EEAS} and saw both tours. The Roth show as well as album were much better than anything VH did at the time.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    LOL not surprised at all, I am convinced at this point{not 100% certain}that Roth quit the band and wasn't fired. It says as much in Dave's book. This band wasted a lot of good years with childish drama and BS. Time that they never were able to get back. I bought both albums when they came out{5150 and EEAS} and saw both tours. The Roth show as well as album were much better than anything VH did at the time.
    I think he left it up in the air with EVH.

If he went to EVH and said "I'm going to do a movie, and I'd like the band to do the music", but Ed said "no", so he told EVH "I'm doing it anyway, and maybe we can reconvene later" (which is one version I have heard) then Roth would know there were basically 3 ways it could unfold.

A. The band could end, with the Van Halen's moving on with a new singer, and Roth on his own as a solo artist.

B. Roth could proceed with making the movie, knowing that the brothers might cave in to his demand, and join him in making the movie.

C. Roth could make the movie without the Van Halen's (knowing that they were tired of touring, and might just remain inactive), and rejoin the band later (if he felt like it).

I think he weighed the odds, and anticipated B or C to be the most likely way for it to unfold.

When he was assembling a band for the movie, he would naturally want to tell the new guys he quit VH, because (beyond just ego) it would bolster the perception that it was a gig with some permanence.

I am anxious to see what Greg Renoff uncovers for the next book.
    Last edited by 1234over; July 30th, 2016 at 03:35 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Groupie
    I thought the whole EEAS thing was hair glam metal at its' worst. I love Dave to death but the music and especially the videos and stage show were cringy to the max.

I don't think it matters in the least who was fired or who quit, the writing on the wall was there for quite some time that it was going to end at some point, somehow.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PL6 View Post
    I thought the whole EEAS thing was hair glam metal at its' worst. I love Dave to death but the music and especially the videos and stage show were cringy to the max.

I don't think it matters in the least who was fired or who quit, the writing on the wall was there for quite some time that it was going to end at some point, somehow.
    True enough, I just hate to see t all laid at Roth's feet, which for years was the common opinion. Slowly people have perhaps realized that EVH was pushing him out too.

Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    True enough, I just hate to see t all laid at Roth's feet, which for years was the common opinion. Slowly people have perhaps realized that EVH was pushing him out too.
    Yeah but once you go down that solo career path, for anyone, your days are probably numbered. But you wanted to go solo anyway so you kinda got what you wanted. It was a messy situation, the band clearly needed a break but Dave is restless and you can't fault him for that. They should've sat down and got it all on the table but it wasn't done like that back then and all of them weren't very mature to be honest and compromise.