Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Favorite Van Halen Moment
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Mike

Favorite Van Halen Moment

Let's get some activity going again.

What's your favorite Van Halen moment? And I don't mean the actual band...

I mean the moment that got your blood pumping the most, in relation to the band. Maybe when you first heard their music, or when you saw them live, or even just kicked it with a group of friends listening to the band. The moment you're most nostalgic for in your life, in regards to the band.

For me, it's when I was around twelve or thirteen and my extended family had a road trip to the Sunshine Coast in Australia. The trip took 2-4 days, and I was armed with VH2, WACF, FW, DD and FUCK to keep myself entertained the entire time. That's when I fell in love with the band. Before then, I thought they had some cool tunes (judging mainly from Best Of compilations and the debut), but they never consistently blew me out of the water. But that all changed on this road trip. I was enamored with everything. The intro to "Women in Love" resonated the most, and each time I hear it I still think of the humid summer trip, and the nice little motel pool me and my cousins had fun in on a stop over.

I'm also fond of when my Dad first played me ATBL. I couldn't believe how cool the riff sounded. I had heard far more from the Sammy years, and Dad always told me that they were better with Dave. He put that tune and said "this is how they did it with Dave".

Also remember riding a bike with my former really close friend around the Coachella Valley in California singing our lungs off to Van Halen tunes. I was on the bike and he was running along, getting cardio in. I was going through heart break then and it was fun to get away from it all and just sing the greatest choruses to offer.

So how about you guys?

Groupie
    Easy. Van Halen Day in Worcester, MA. October 22, 1982!!!

Love ya moms......
    This is a tough one.....

Id have to go with the first time I heard VH. It was around December 1978 and a friend brought the 1st album to school and he swore it would blow me away.
    It did...........

THEE bassist for VH
    Well, for me, there's actually two fond memories of hearing Van Halen for the first time in 1978. I was in 8th grade when that came out (about 13-14 roughly) and so my local rock station the KATT (Achilles knows all about them) spun "Runnin' With the Devil" for the first track. Damn, it was awesome! Everybody came to school the next day with Van Halen on the tip of their tongue. "Hey man, did you hear that new song yesterday? It's f'n great huh?"

The second great memory, I had a little rich friend who always had everything ya know, so he had the incredible stereo system for the time and some killer headphones. At the end of school that same day they released RWTD, I went over to his house and he goes "You GOT to hear this over the phones for the first time dude!" He cued up Eruption and WOW, my mind was officially blown! Nobody, and I do mean nobody, played guitar like that then. Ed laid waste to just about every other guitarslinger there was then.

Groupie
    First time I heard them was on a dub tape in '81 or '82 (3rd grade). First side was the Rolling Stones Sucking In The '70's and the otherside was VH 1. I just remember hearing Eruption and asking friend to keep rewinding it over and over...he was getting miffed b/c he was like my tape will get ruined. Needless to say I was hooked right there. I also the 3 vids from the Oakland shows and the hooked became and obsession.

Permanent vacation
    I'm gonna be showing my [slightly younger] age, but I still remember listening to VH for the first time: I'd begun playing guitar in 1999 at 14 years of age, and one of my main ways of checking out new music (even Napster was just getting off the ground then) was to take out CDs from the city library. I'd bring home half-a-dozen at a time and go through them one by one, hungry for guitar music -- I started off as a Joe Perry fan, after inheriting Live Bootleg from an older cousin. Well, one of the CDs I brought home was Van Halen's then-recent Best Of Vol. 1. And it just blew my mind, one song after another, despite half of it being Hagar. Hell, even then I didn't give a shit about Spammy -- I was listening to it for the guitar! I didn't have a computer to burn CDs with at the time, so I recorded the CD on a mixed tape and played it to death. I still like "Humans Being" (the only Hagar song I enjoy, and Cherone sang it better), "Me Wise Magic", and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" better than a lot of other fans do. They have that certain nostalgia that a first-album-I-heard sometimes does, even if it was a Best Of. VH were probably the first band I collected the full discography for -- even if I'd toss the Hagar stuff later on!

Another memory would be when I started collecting bootlegs. I did a 2:1 blanks trade via VHTrading.com, and got four shows via snail mail a couple weeks later. "Eyes of the Night", "At The Best", "US Festival 1983", and something from the 1984 tour. Bootleg trading was a real thrill then, in the pre-torrent file days. Never quite knew what a show would sound like until it arrived in the mail. My friend who played bass and I, we collected a lot of Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and Rush via snail mail trades then.

CVH.com has its own related memories or moments. I would've been 16 when I signed up here, and the stories and trivia posted by all the older fans was awesome to read. Got me even more interested in the band.

I finally saw Van Halen -- or 3/4 of them -- on the 2012 tour. It was a good show, but felt kind of like a highlight and closure at the same time; I'd drifted away from VH after 10+ years of waiting for a new album. I'd totally see them on this ongoing tour if I were town, though. Great setlist, and they sound well-rested.
    "I am not one of those weak-spirited, sappy Americans who want to be liked by all the people around them. I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. My affections, being concentrated over a few people, are not spread all over Hell in a vile attempt to placate sulky, worthless shits."

~ William S. Burroughs

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    Well, for me, there's actually two fond memories of hearing Van Halen for the first time in 1978. I was in 8th grade when that came out (about 13-14 roughly) and so my local rock station the KATT (Achilles knows all about them) spun "Runnin' With the Devil" for the first track. Damn, it was awesome! Everybody came to school the next day with Van Halen on the tip of their tongue. "Hey man, did you hear that new song yesterday? It's f'n great huh?"

The second great memory, I had a little rich friend who always had everything ya know, so he had the incredible stereo system for the time and some killer headphones. At the end of school that same day they released RWTD, I went over to his house and he goes "You GOT to hear this over the phones for the first time dude!" He cued up Eruption and WOW, my mind was officially blown! Nobody, and I do mean nobody, played guitar like that then. Ed laid waste to just about every other guitarslinger there was then.

Dam good to see you back around these parts man. I know we are roughly the same age so where did you go to school?

I don't know if you remember the old ticket broker that used to be on Classen around NW 28th or so{cant remember the name} that's where we stood outside to get VH tickets in 1979, and I remember the line although rather small was all abuzz with talk about this "new band" that was taking over the world by storm. Good times man.

hmmm... I know my first exposure was from a VHS of some videos from MTV, including Jump.

Best? Like GF, I'd say probably the biggest influence was when I was around 10-12 (something around there) borrowing Best of Vol. 1 from the library. I slowly figured out I didn't like Sammy (I skipped all his songs, other than Humans Being). I burned a copy, and that was my launch platform. I don't know whether I had just gotten VH1 classic, or if it had just started at that point, but around the same time I started watching and inevitably found the Oakland 81 set. So good.

Best moment: when after a year or two of trying and failing to find a free version of Fair Warning, I finally bought a copy for myself. I was young and had almost no money, so buying it was a big deal to me. Also, first CD I ever purchased for myself. That's where it all started, really.
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

No cheer******s allowed!
    In the late 70's i have distant memories of hearing a few songs on the radio:
    Jamie's Cryin, You really got me & Dance the night away.

I was just a child, but i distinctly recall not liking it, due to the high pitched
    vocals in the chorus of Jamie's Cryin.

It wasn't until 1980, when it hit me like a ton of bricks:

Even then, i must have been a budding metal-head, because that intro to "...and the cradle
    will rock," just blew my mind!
    I had never heard anything that mean & heavy sounding in my life.
    And then it leads right into this amazing song.

I just loved the way it was written, with the intro part coming back right before the chorus.
    I also really recall feeling Dave's vocal.
    I was kind of afraid of him, but also drawn to him.
    He just sounded so "street" and like a punk (Fake it boy, fake it boy...)
    Then those yelps and just his overall delivery.
    Then those menacing "Rock on's" at the end.

I also remember the guitar solo, though i was too young to realize what he was doing.
    I just remember the guitar sound/tone was unlike anything i'd ever heard.
    I always think "Jet plane" when i hear classic VH/Eddie.

My next huge moment was the same year at an amusement park on the beach in Salisbury, MA.
    I was watching one of those "rock & roll" themed rides zip by, and they had a DJ and played the
    hot sounds of the day.

The guy played "Eruption" straight into "Aint talkin' bout love."
    This was over a decade before the first VH Best of, which did that sequence as well.

I just remember my head being blown off by Eruption, then that intro to "Ain't talkin' bout love!"
    That intro was about the coolest thing i'd ever heard, again, into a great song.

So both these moments happened close together, and it dawned on me both were the same band.
    I was hooked!

Another big moment was when i finally got VHII on vinyl.
    "Dance the night away" comes on, and i remembered the song from the radio, a year or two before.
    I remember thinking, "This song is so good! Why did i not like it, when i used to hear it played on
    the radio?"

Like Mike
    Some great stories!

Good to see you back here, Sum!