Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Decline of Western Civilization Box set DVD
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    No cheer******s allowed!

Decline of Western Civilization Box set DVD

I had no idea this was finally out, as it had been long out of
    print for ages.

Of course, it includes all three films, including "The Metal Years."

I happily bought it, brought it home, excited to see what all the awesome
    bonus features would be.

Sure enough....

Bonus feature 1: Exclusive film commentary by Dave Grohl.

Why does this fucking guy need to be involved in every God damn thing, under
    the musical sun?

You cannot escape him. Ever.

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I had no idea this was finally out, as it had been long out of
    print for ages.

Of course, it includes all three films, including "The Metal Years."

I happily bought it, brought it home, excited to see what all the awesome
    bonus features would be.

Sure enough....

Bonus feature 1: Exclusive film commentary by Dave Grohl.

Why does this fucking guy need to be involved in every God damn thing, under
    the musical sun?

You cannot escape him. Ever.

LOL you can never escape the ever smiling Dave Grohl. Remember the days when rock stars used to be menacing, on the edge and were the real deal instead of these weekend warrior, mommy look im playing rockstar types. Jeesh poor kids today. Anyway is this the show that has a few up an coming{or so they thought} LA hair bands in it and looking back they did nothing and vanished like a fart in the wind?

Like Mike
    Yes, it is that movie Achilles.

When he broke his leg and performed anyway, my news feed was filled with how awesome Dave Grohl is.

I know you guys aren't fans of Jack Black, but I far prefer him. He's merely an actor who appreciates the greats and provides a forum of appreciation. He doesn't go out and perform with them and water down every project.

Band Manager
    "Dave Grohled" is the new "Rick Rolled". Yep, this movie series got "Grohled"....

I need to figure out the proper explanation for why his antics are so annoying. It's beyond my vocabulary. To just call him an asshole, hack, ego-maniac, or pussy doesn't really describe what he is doing. It just feels so wrong, yet so many people love his whole persona. I like a bunch of his ideas like that "Sound City" movie, but then he and his shit band have to be in it.

Any era or style of rock music is now in danger of being given a historical perspective, through the eyes of Dave Grohl. The fucker inserts himself into any genre, tying any subculture's music to the white, suburban kid experience. He acts like he is doing it to preserve the music's history, but it feels like he wants have his own perspective define it. (That's the best description I can come up with right now).

Next up, a Bronski Beat documentary, with a Dave Grohl voice-over. He will tell us the band's history, as seen through the eyes of a straight, white, suburban America teen, relating it to the struggles of his gay friends at his Virginia high school. Yep, he was there.

Nothing is safe from a "Grohling".
    Last edited by 1234over; July 7th, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    What annoys me is he has to be the "super-fan" of every fucking genre.

If it was one thing, if say, he was a Bad Brains obsessive & followed them as a kid,
    and they made a movie on the Bad Brains, and he was in it talking about the Bad Brains,
    i'd be like, "Okay. I get it. He was a noted Bad Brains follower."

But the fucking guy injects himself into EVERY nook & cranny of every genre:
    Classic rock, Punk rock, Prog rock, Hair metal, comedy rock, 70's rock, 80's rock, 90's rock,
    Grunge, Death metal, Doom.....WTF????

Ghost becomes hip and he guests as a drummer on a Ghost track.
    He's rubbing elbows with Page & Mccartney, he's talking about Ringo, he's Guesting on
    rhythm guitar in Joan Jett's RNRHOF induction (Doesn't Joan play rhythm guitar?), he's donning
    a wig & playing the role of Alex Lifeson in the RUSH HOF induction, he's playing with
    King Diamond, he's rubbing elbows with Taylor Swift, he's producing Lorde, it never ends....

His HBO series was great, but his band & songwriting were so pedestrian.
    Every episode ended with him composing a new song for each city, and it dawned on me
    that he possessed about as much talent in writing a song, as i do!

He got lucky a couple times over the years, but he's really, really bad at writing songs.
    Watch Sound City, the ending of each episode.
    He's just making random shit up that any idiot could write.

No cheer******s allowed!
    We had the same debate over the links, where they all hate Nirvana & claimed that Dave Grohl was
    the most talented member of Nirvana.

I said, "Nope. Kurt Cobain was the most talented member of Nirvana."

Love him or hate him, he had a distinctive style (songwriting, singing, guitar playing) and he could write.

Classic Rock keeps playing Nirvana these days: On a plain, Breed, Come as you are, About a girl, In Bloom,
    Heart shaped box....

These are well written songs.
    And his grungy, primitive guitar playing, is actually really clever.
    He knows what effect to use, what melody to play, and it enhances the feel of the song.
    It's not as punk as you might think.
    It's thought out & composed.

Band Manager
    We had the same debate over the links, where they all hate Nirvana & claimed that Dave Grohl was

Love him or hate him, he had a distinctive style (songwriting, singing, guitar playing) and he could write.

Classic Rock keeps playing Nirvana these days: On a plain, Breed, Come as you are, About a girl, In Bloom,
    Heart shaped box....

He knows what effect to use, what melody to play, and it enhances the feel of the song.

UG, we are on the same page with this shit. The thing is, the average rock fan seems to feel that Grohl is "doing good". That he is preserving "their music", and that it might die off without his grandstanding. BULLSHIT! Rock is alive and well, it just isn't front and center right now, because the recording industry is an uncertain market right now. If rock and roll as an art form, is so disposable that it needs Grohl to preserve it, it doesn't have long to live anyway.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike

Heart shaped box....

When I was in Seattle, I listened to a tonne of Nirvana.
    It's funny, I got there and all I could listen to was Ratking and Grunge.

Anyway, I don't know how people deem him to be trash.
    A song as simple as "Come As You Are" has such masterful song writing.
    Such a simple riff, but so obscure sounding with out there tone.
    The drum beat is hypnotic.
    The verses and the chorus are ridiculously catchy, but sound tormented.

All of it had me floored.
    Incredible song writer with great tone and sound.
    When the band comes in in "Rape Me", the guitar tone sounds HUGE but so clean.
    The chords sound almost heavenly.

No cheer******s allowed!
    So i watched this set and, sadly, "The metal years" haven't aged gracefully.

But the original Decline, the Punk one from 1980, was awesome & disturbing.
    I had never seen it before.

There's a creepy, very real menacing vibe to these bands & the fans, that make the hair
    metal bands from Part II, seem super safe.

My favorites were FEAR, X, BLACK FLAG & the Circle Jerks.
    The Germs were too non-musical, for my tastes.

FEAR was fucking awesome.
    They start each show completely insulting the fans in the most un-PC way possible.
    A girl jumps on stage to confront Lee Ving and he punches her in the face.

Then you have X, punk with a serious Rockabilly thing happening.
    Billy Zoom kicks into a song about a girl getting raped on a bus with a huge grin, and
    lightning fast Chuck Berry type licks.

Then you get a pre-Rollins Black Flag, with a very creepy Greg Ginn looking like a serial killer.
    He's in this preppy shirt, but he answers each question like he might be autistic.

The vibe is just pitch black throughout the film, like all these bands exist in a gutter
    and come out to play shows.

The fans are even more out there.

Metal Up Your A$$!

Exclamation

Heart shaped box....

Couldn't agree more, man! Dave is a good drummer (a very, VERY good one IMHO), but Kurt could write great tunes.

On topic; good to know about the release of Decline! I used to see that movie years and years ago.
    Wolfgang Van Halen - "I love being a bass player. Its just me and Al a groove section. Just boom, boom, boom, and were good". GW
    ---
    Edward Van Halen - "What is next for Wolf is the next record and the next tour. Hes no different than I am. Music is his life. If he goes back to school, Ill probably go with him. GC