Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
No Oakland Show in the Vaults Confirmed
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Mike

No Oakland Show in the Vaults Confirmed

Fuck.

---------------------

http://www.guitarworld.com/eddie-van...-roth?page=0,1

Why didn’t the band release a live album with Dave back in the Seventies or early Eighties?

I don’t know. We used to tour so much and were on the road constantly, but it never occurred to us that we should record our shows. Back then you didn’t have Pro Tools so it wasn’t as easy to record shows. You had to hire a mobile truck.

People ask why we’ve never released the rest of the 1981 Oakland show that we recorded on video. The reason is because we only recorded three songs—“Unchained,” “Hear About it Later” and “So This Is Love.” We actually filmed those three songs for two nights. On “Unchained” I broke a string the first night, and if you watch the video you can see my guitars change just for a few seconds then switch back. We used the second night of audio, so you can’t hear it, but we used video from both nights. The bottom line is we can’t ever release the whole Oakland show because we didn’t film or record the whole show.

--------------

Well, there it is, folks... Nothing to look forward to from this band now, unfortunately.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Fuck.

---------------------

http://www.guitarworld.com/eddie-van...-roth?page=0,1

Why didn’t the band release a live album with Dave back in the Seventies or early Eighties?

I don’t know. We used to tour so much and were on the road constantly, but it never occurred to us that we should record our shows. Back then you didn’t have Pro Tools so it wasn’t as easy to record shows. You had to hire a mobile truck.

People ask why we’ve never released the rest of the 1981 Oakland show that we recorded on video. The reason is because we only recorded three songs—“Unchained,” “Hear About it Later” and “So This Is Love.” We actually filmed those three songs for two nights. On “Unchained” I broke a string the first night, and if you watch the video you can see my guitars change just for a few seconds then switch back. We used the second night of audio, so you can’t hear it, but we used video from both nights. The bottom line is we can’t ever release the whole Oakland show because we didn’t film or record the whole show.

--------------

Well, there it is, folks... Nothing to look forward to from this band now, unfortunately.
    I have pretty much assumed that there were only the 3 tunes (just like the 3 from 1979). That doesn't mean there isn't other cool stuff "in the vault". I would love to see them clean up any or all of the South American shows. Those are killer. There has to be some good offstage footage from those old tours, too. I have to think there is some good stuff that they haven't released from the "1984" and pre-"5150" sessions, with Roth. I know they worked on "In the Midnight Hour", so I would think there is more.

But I get ya, the current state of the band doesn't get me worked up.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike
    Why would they bring all of that equipment for two nights just to film three songs?? Makes no sense.

Band Manager
    VH could probably do what Zeppelin did for their How the West Was Won DVD/CD.
    Cobble together and clean up what they have, and what they can get their hands on.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Why would they bring all of that equipment for two nights just to film three songs?? Makes no sense.
    Ease, and cost.

One reel of 16mm holds about 11 minutes of film. Both the '79 and '81 video are right around that length. '81 is about 13 minutes, but with enough repeated, or un-synced footage, the footage could be stretched. It seems like they might have just loaded each camera with a reel, and left it at that.

I think they were just approaching it as filming a few promos for their latest record.

There has to be lots of other footage though. Even if it's only a live dress rehearsal (that's where lots of photos come from) taped to critique the production.

One of these dress rehearsals....
    http://www.vhnd.com/2010/10/04/1980-invasion-rehearsal/

The problem is, die-hards would love this kind of footage, but it would be tough to market to the casual fan. That's why they would need to make some kind of retrospective documentary or something, where they could just use bits from a variety of sources. Or allow someone to release it online as "bootleg" footage, like the outtakes from the Panama/Jump videos.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Basically, Ed was saying, the bad news is that there is no Oakland after all, and that special project involving
    the demos and such is off the table.

The good news is that you will be getting a Wolfgang solo album early next year!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Basically, Ed was saying, the bad news is that there is no Oakland after all, and that special project involving
    the demos and such is off the table.

The good news is that you will be getting a Wolfgang solo album early next year!
    I wish they would retire, then they might let some of the good stuff seep out. I don't care to see another greatest hits tour.

I can't see why they can't let someone put some of the footage out online? It wouldn't have to be an official release. Bootleg footage would actually promote interest in the band. When that Fresno '79 footage turned up on YOutube, there was lots of VH "trending" going on. It's a great underground way to stir up interest.

I have little doubt that something at least as raw as this exists

They couldn't sell it to the masses, but the die-hards would go nuts.

Band Manager
    The good news is there is audio of every DLR show from '78-84. No Oakland video, okay.......RELEASE THE AUDIO!

Release a CD of a show every year!! Damn!! Get on it!!!!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    The good news is there is audio of every DLR show from '78-84. No Oakland video, okay.......RELEASE THE AUDIO!

Release a CD of a show every year!! Damn!! Get on it!!!!
    Releasing old stuff would drive more interest in what the band is doing NOW. It would also give new, young, potential fans, an idea of what made them legendary. I think it would really help sell concert tickets. And not only tickets, but the remasters. They have nothing to lose, and lots to gain by letting some of the choice bits out.

And I don't mean release it for sale, just let some cleaned up, early footage out on their website now and then, during the tour.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I wish they would retire, then they might let some of the good stuff seep out. I don't care to see another greatest hits tour.

I can't see why they can't let someone put some of the footage out online? It wouldn't have to be an official release. Bootleg footage would actually promote interest in the band. When that Fresno '79 footage turned up on YOutube, there was lots of VH "trending" going on. It's a great underground way to stir up interest.

I have little doubt that something at least as raw as this exists

They couldn't sell it to the masses, but the die-hards would go nuts.
    An unexpected treat:

Love 'em & leave 'em, halfway in the rehearsal.
    One of my fave KISS tunes, with one of my fave Ace solo's.

There was a debate at the links claiming Kiss was irrelevant.
    I say KISS in 1976 was better than the Beatles & Elvis put together!

Classic KISS is like classic VH.
    You can't top that original recipe.