Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Predictions: Will VH make it through this tour? - Page 4
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Nope.

He may regret saying those things, but I believe he expressed feelings he has pretty much always had, but was more candid than usual. I think that is his general attitude towards the people he has worked with, for a very long time now.

Being a self-centered asshole may be an important part of what made him a great guitar player, but that doesn't mean we should be expected to turn a blind eye to it. His "eccentricity" probably has a lot to do with his lack of production for DECADES, not to mention the difficult band relations. Roth has been dragged through the mud as an arrogant egomaniac that ruined the band, since 1985. EVH is worse.

*I hate when they show photos of all those tapes in 5150. There is no way to know what is really on those, he could fill those with noodling all day long. 5150 has been there for 30 years. A reel holds about 30 minutes of tape, if he is recording at 15" per second (15 minutes if he uses 30ips). If he has been recording jams, how many tapes could he fill in a day? In a year? In 30 years?

I don't see why his comments would be considered so odd. We have known that he thought Mike was a bit player, we knew he wasn't friends with Roth and that his antics annoyed him.

I think his comment about Cherone was basically saying that when he saw Cherone's stage clothes he had the feeling of "oh no, another goofball singer". I didn't think that was an odd comment. The part that sounded weird was "I don't dislike Gary at all".
    The vault might as well be a bin if none of it is going to see the light of day. That thought is quite depressing.

Ed's comment regarding Gary Cherone's stage clothes shows how fickle Eddie can be. His relationships appear to be extremely fragile.

Dave is doing the right thing by keeping Eddie at arms length. I think it's more of a self preservation tactic from Roth.

Michael Anthony is better off out of this. I'm so glad he stuck up for himself and defied Eddie by going on tour with Sammy all those years ago. If he had stayed, he wouldn't have received any thanks from Edward.

Dance Baby!
    Hmmm.

Eddie is purposely dragging his band through the sewer. Well, everyone that doesn’t have a Halen last name anyway. He is about to embark on a summer tour and he upchucks his real feelings. It most be a new marketing ploy? ?

I don’t get the dude. Asshole? Sure sounds like it. Egomaniac? Check! Great band mate. Fuck no! Does he care? Fuck no! Should we? Fuck no!
    Eddie hasn’t a clue on what made this band great. He thinks like it’s all about him. lol.

Can you image what Eddie would be doing now had he and Alex not hired David Lee Roth?

I’ve seen them twice since 2007. the Dec 2007 show in Seattle was one of the best sounding concerts I’ve ever been too. However, the 2012 show was one of the worst. I’m not about to spend my money and or time on a band that hasn’t put in the effort. It’s weird to feel this way. When VH use to come to town, it’s was a party. Now it’s kind of sad. The local radio shows make fun of Dave. Only playing the isolated vocal track, Running with the Devil. However, they won’t acknowledge the Dance the Night Away vocal track. They ripped the new Live Album. Yet, the radio stations are trying to promote the show coming up. That's got to be tough.

Will they finish this tour? NO. They haven’t finished a tour since their reversion. Why would that change now?

As for Sammy sticking up for Mike. I could careless. Everything that comes out of Sammy’s mouth is bullshit to me anyway. Mike is old enough to defend himself and if you ask me, He is doing it perfectly. Take the high road. Don’t feed into the Van Halen drama. The only ones that it hurts is the dwindling number of Van Halen fans.

It’s as if, Eddie (VH management) is doing everything they can to ruin this once MIGHTY bands legacy. Unfortunately, it’s the only thing they seem to know how to do.

Van Halen has become the punch line.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

No cheer******s allowed!
    It's too bad, but i agree.

One DJ in Boston just said, "....and we will be offering tons of tickets to the big summer shows,
    including Van Halen with Roth. You'll have to supply your own ear-plugs for Panama, though."

I understand the jokes, but it really is like they are a punch line, now.

Ed, Al & Wolf are just killing it, though.
    Roth is THE weak link, i'm sorry.
    There is no other way to spin it (and i love Roth & CVH), and he is the entire focus.
    Ed is playing great, yet gets bagged on for a stupid interview.
    Roth is singing like shit, yet he's given a pass & empathy for working with the evil Ed.

HE admitted he wants to only do dance music.
    But Ed is bagged on because he wont reach out to Roth to record the next album.
    What the heck is Ed supposed to do?
    Come up with some EDM samples & hire a DJ?

Dave strikes me as a kid with ADD, jumping from one thing to the next.
    I see Ed & his son hunkered down in one spot, rehearsing constantly.
    Why is Ed the one supposedly dragging his feet?

I do agree with jack that Ed's comments about MIke were more about him reacting to
    the criticism he's seen/read in regards to Wolf.

We all want the original four, but i think Ed believes Wolf is the superior musician.
    I don't think he can wrap his head around the fact that we don't want what he wants.

Groupie
    I'll take a sh*t VH show today over ANYONE playing. Seriously anyone. Music is a joke and if you want to see shows that are good you're going to clubs. And even then meh.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyFi View Post
    I'll take a sh*t VH show today over ANYONE playing. Seriously anyone. Music is a joke and if you want to see shows that are good you're going to clubs. And even then meh.
    Rock has become so watered down, Dave Grohl is considered the face of the genre in 2015.

Nirvana's "On a plain" came on the radio, and even that sounded like a throwback.
    It was grunge i guess, but it still had that edge to it.

There is some good pop music, i guess.
    I really do think Taylor Swift is clever, in the sense that she has mastered the pop formula
    to such an absurd degree.

I get one radio station at work, in the office, and that "Blank Space" song is like crack.
    You start to crave hearing it, despite the fact they play it every hour.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Rock has become so watered down, Dave Grohl is considered the face of the genre in 2015.

Nirvana's "On a plain" came on the radio, and even that sounded like a throwback.
    It was grunge i guess, but it still had that edge to it.

There is some good pop music, i guess.
    I really do think Taylor Swift is clever, in the sense that she has mastered the pop formula
    to such an absurd degree.

I get one radio station at work, in the office, and that "Blank Space" song is like crack.
    You start to crave hearing it, despite the fact they play it every hour.
    "Blank Space" caught my ear.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Roth wants to make "Disco Van Halen". Sure, I believe Roth wants to do upbeat, dance-able Van Halen, but EVH latched onto Roth's dance comments as an easy way to evade making more music with Roth, or as a control ploy. And didn't EVH just work with LL Cool J? He has had no problem applying his style to dance-able music. Michael Jackson, that Thomas Dolby thing...I mentioned "Panama"...he can work at those BPM's.

Roth has always shown himself to be more pragmatic than EVH. Why EVH is given the benefit of the doubt after decades without new songs, is beyond me. Evasion has been his mode of operation for a very long time, and I ain't buying that Roth is trying to make them play EDM, or some such bullshit.

Frankly, I'm ready to hear anything new from EVH, because even though he still has his chops, he appears to be out of gas creatively, and I'd like to see him back up his attitude. He is like the spoiled quarterback who was coddled, high school through college, and told how great he was, had a great pro career, and now he is an old man, but walks around like he is still throwing touchdown passes. It's the distant past at this point.
    Last edited by 1234over; June 24th, 2015 at 01:44 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Groupie
    Modern music is product. No different than a Sprite. Kids don't see a coordinated this or that its not music to them. Whenever I see this stuff...and you got to keep your ear open to catch something or anything...I find myself feeling like a dog that was shown a card trick.

That being said I showed my little girl the Oakland '81 videos and she responded with engagment. Had a reaction when DLR jumped off the kit at the beginning of Unchained. She's 2. There's hope

No cheer******s allowed!
    Those Oakland videos are pure magic.

I get choked up just looking at those audience shots.
    Forget Zeppelin, for me, that footage/time period IS the summit of the mountain.

I cannot fathom Edward viewing this kinda stuff & thinking:
    Eh, let's just put out that 2013 show instead....

He must really dislike Mike, if that's the case.

If i were Ed today, i'd be celebrating that stuff & pointing people straight to it.
    Dave's back in the band, so i don't see the issue.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post

HE admitted he wants to only do dance music.
    But Ed is bagged on because he wont reach out to Roth to record the next album.
    What the heck is Ed supposed to do?
    Come up with some EDM samples & hire a DJ?

Dave strikes me as a kid with ADD, jumping from one thing to the next.
    I see Ed & his son hunkered down in one spot, rehearsing constantly.
    Why is Ed the one supposedly dragging his feet?
    Link?

I believe he said that he only LISTENS to dance music. There is a big difference between only listening to that style, and demanding that Van Halen only records that style. I think EVH is exaggerating. Probably about as much as he exaggerated showing MA "every note" he played.

EVH is full of shit. And if Roth only wanted to make that kind of music, I'm pretty sure he would find a different band to do it.

I do wonder if neither of them REALLY want to make a record of new songs though. With ADKoT they could kind of skirt criticism by claiming they were old songs, and "unfinished business". An album of new material might pale when compared to the old classics, and deep down, they might both have their own reservations about competing with those great records.

I can totally see Roth in this video, and wonder if they stole Roth's look, or the other way around. In fact, I would love it if he did something this cool looking. I know it's not Van Halen, but I bet he could pull it off.

Last edited by 1234over; June 24th, 2015 at 02:14 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    They created some new tunes for ADKOT and they weren't even together in the process. I don't see the problem with making a new record in similar fashion.
    Clearly, they can operate without having to be together 24/7.

I agree, Ed seemed to be talking BS with some answers. So, Dave likes dance music, who cares, nothing new. They created seven records, and him liking dance music, or whatever music, didn't matter much.

I think they'll make it. It's only 40-50 dates. Nice summer weather, this time around, will make it a little easier on them as well.
    They seem to be having fun rehearsing, playing deep cuts. I have to believe they want to get out there and play them.