Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Predictions: Will VH make it through this tour? - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Why can't Mikey stick up for Mikey?

It's become redundant to see Hagar's smug face, every time anything remotely VH
    related is mentioned in the press.

Hagar also confirmed what Ed said (albeit more tactfully) in his own book.
    HIS OWN BOOK!

And he also called Mike "spineless."

Why can't Mike tell them both to fuck off, instead of his typical:
    Really proud to have been a part of Van Halen and....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I think there is more authority to it if someone else who has worked with both of them defends him. But it would be cool if Mike just told him to fuck off. Supposedly he yelled at Roth backstage during the Sam & Dave tour, so maybe this will get Mike to bare his teeth.

I'm not hyped up to see them, but my friends might pressure me to go with them, and buy me a ticket (I have great friends!). I realize I'm known as a prick here, but I'm actually going to have a hard time, because different groups of people want to share the experience with me, and will be hurt if I go with other people.

It might be hard to weasel out of. I know it sounds odd, that I would see the show as a burden, but I don't want to be fake and have to gush over the band, OR dampen my friends experience with negativity.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

? ? ? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Well, i'm going, this Billboard thing has sealed the deal.

I really feel like this could be it, as Huey Lewis once sang (or was it: If this is it?)
    The friction could be a good thing.

Then again, this isn't 1984.

Are you going, 1234?
    When Is Bad Publicity Good?
    Negative publicity can increase sales when a product or company is relatively unknown simply because it stimulates product awareness

[B]The above caption is a definition that I found on the web. I've given this story a little thought (A LITTLE). The article released by BB could have been taken out of context but so far there hasn't been a rebuttal statement from EVH to say different. Yes it could be true that Ed and Daves relationship is no longer pure and that Ed still has issues with Mike. But its awfully weird to me that this article would come out mere weeks before the start of the tour. Could it be that ticket sales are not were the VH camp would like them to be? Could it be this is the last time we see Van Halen fronted by David Lee Roth.Either way this story has prompt some to go and buy tickets to see this once MIGHTY BAND that dominated the rock & roll business from the late 70's on into the mid 80's before the shit hit the fan.... To me that should be the tours title "THE SHIT HIT THE FAN TOUR"
    Why behave in public if your living on a playground?

No cheer******s allowed!
    People are speculating that Ed might have fallen off the wagon.

Apparently, Sammy back peddled the very next day and dedicated "Dreams"
    to some old friends who have fallen on hard times.

Seems odd that he'd go from "Fuck you, Eddie" to dedications, unless he was tipped
    off.

Also, the shots taken seemed out of line with Ed's long term "no comment" stance.

Ed looks great, though.
    Could all be bullshit.

The tour will be telling, though.

Like Mike
    And it would be in line with Ed's history to be talking about his sobriety while he has fallen off the wagon behind closed doors.

Now that somebody mentioned it, I think in a fucked up way that the comments about Mike were Ed's defence of Wolf. He's very aware of what the public is saying. He's aware that people were speculating a reunion with Mike this past year, and that people want Mike back for his backing vocals. I guess he wanted to justify not having Mike on board, but went about it the wrong way.

His comment about three guys in the band being rockers and the other into dance music also shows that he's far more aware of everything than we previously thought. That was a stupid, snide remark by him, though. It was never an issue before, so why is it now?

Yours truly, As Is
    I'm going to the first two shows of the tour!! I hope the friction between Dave and Ed will lead to brilliance like it always has in the past but even my usual enthusiasm has been tempered by this interview. It seems Ed and Al are more content with jamming by themselves in 5150 rather than share their gift with the world. Part of me can't blame them, since they're in their 60s. But the other part of me says that when you're the best in the world at something, you take it to the people and bring joy to many lives.

As far as Mike, yeah, I'm sick of Sam acting like his keeper. People who say Ed is bullying Mike are not only full of it, but they are basically emasculating Mike by saying it. Mike isn't being bullied. He could easily have it out with Ed and defend himself, but he is choosing to take the high road because he really is a nice guy. That being said, and I know I'll catch Hell, but I'm one who does think Wolf is a better bassist than Mike. Saying that doesn't mean I don't like Mike or think highly of his musical abilities, because I do. Wolf is just better to me. Mike is still the greatest backing vocalist in hard rock history, no doubt about it, but Wolf is no slouch either. If people can't listen to Women In Love from the last tour and admit that the backing vocals are pretty damn good, then they have an agenda.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Like Mike
    I don't think anyone here will disagree that technically, Wolf is a better bassist than Mike. That being said, I'd still take Mike. Though at this stage, this band would be nowhere without Wolf.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    And it would be in line with Ed's history to be talking about his sobriety while he has fallen off the wagon behind closed doors.

Now that somebody mentioned it, I think in a fucked up way that the comments about Mike were Ed's defence of Wolf. He's very aware of what the public is saying. He's aware that people were speculating a reunion with Mike this past year, and that people want Mike back for his backing vocals. I guess he wanted to justify not having Mike on board, but went about it the wrong way.

His comment about three guys in the band being rockers and the other into dance music also shows that he's far more aware of everything than we previously thought. That was a stupid, snide remark by him, though. It was never an issue before, so why is it now?
    "Disco Dave"...This is yet another aspect that is getting spin from EVH.

Roth has always worked to portray the band as more diverse than the other heavy bands they were competing with. How many people here don't think Roth knows the classic Stones, Led Zep, ZZ Top etc. really fucking well? Yes, he surely dug dance music, but look at the photos of him as a teenager...does he look like a kid from Soul Train, or a Stoned-out Rocker? He is way too well-versed in the performance cliches of cock rockers like Plant and Gillan to convince me that those weren't his starting point/prototypes.

I truly believe that he is mostly interested in "floor music" now, but I don't think he expects EVH to whip up electronica tracks for him to sing over. Listen to "Panama". That song practically has a subliminal four-to-the-floor beat, and would mix seamlessly with modern dance tracks. I think it is way more likely that Roth envisions something like that, than changing the band into a disco unit. I think EVH is playing up to the rockers, and using Roth's own spin against him.

(Is there a dirtier word than "disco" to rockers? Do people still believe the level of musicianship on the best disco records was shitty? Laughable.)
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    "Disco Dave"...This is yet another aspect that is getting spin from EVH...
    I think the Billboard interviewer caught Eddie Van Halen on a bad day. We all have them. I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie is regretting some of the personal thoughts that he aired within it.

His comments on Roth and Mike are ridiculous and odd. I still maintain Eddie is more eccentric than an asshole.

After the success of his Smithsonian interview and the associated positive public relations exercise, his latest interview in Billboard is a disappointment.

It would be nice to see Eddie recover from this slight fall from grace, by either issuing an apology or distancing himself from his comments, and by saying that he's looking forward to the North American tour.

I'm sure Wolfgang, Janie, Alex and Dave want to see this sorted before the tour.

And lastly, respect to Sammy Hagar for sticking up for his friend.

Groupie
    They'll make it and add more dates.

I think (but I hope not) that this might be the last go-around. Catch them while you can, and for the love of God VH do it right this time. FILM A TOUR DOCUMENTARY and release it. Have a crew with some HD handhelds and get in there and film everything and release it. Warts and all...it won't lift the veil all Wizard of Oz style, and it'll be an instant best seller. Even in this day and age where people don't purchase this stuff, This WOULD/WILL SELL. Hell get one of Wolfie's friends to be a shadow and film. Film everything and cull it to the best. It can't tarnish it'll only enhance.

Do it and make the film guys...don't listen to nay-sayers and entertainment lawyers etc...believe everyone will win.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    I think the Billboard interviewer caught Eddie Van Halen on a bad day. We all have them. I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie is regretting some of the personal thoughts that he aired within it.

His comments on Roth and Mike are ridiculous and odd. I still maintain Eddie is more eccentric than an asshole.

Nope.

He may regret saying those things, but I believe he expressed feelings he has pretty much always had, but was more candid than usual. I think that is his general attitude towards the people he has worked with, for a very long time now.

Being a self-centered asshole may be an important part of what made him a great guitar player, but that doesn't mean we should be expected to turn a blind eye to it. His "eccentricity" probably has a lot to do with his lack of production for DECADES, not to mention the difficult band relations. Roth has been dragged through the mud as an arrogant egomaniac that ruined the band, since 1985. EVH is worse.

*I hate when they show photos of all those tapes in 5150. There is no way to know what is really on those, he could fill those with noodling all day long. 5150 has been there for 30 years. A reel holds about 30 minutes of tape, if he is recording at 15" per second (15 minutes if he uses 30ips). If he has been recording jams, how many tapes could he fill in a day? In a year? In 30 years?

I don't see why his comments would be considered so odd. We have known that he thought Mike was a bit player, we knew he wasn't friends with Roth and that his antics annoyed him.

I think his comment about Cherone was basically saying that when he saw Cherone's stage clothes, he had the feeling of "oh no, another goofball singer". I didn't think that was an odd comment. The part that sounded weird was "I don't dislike Gary at all". Gee, Eddie Van Halen's highest compliment for a co-worker!
    Last edited by 1234over; June 24th, 2015 at 12:54 PM.