Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VH on the JKL - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VH on the JKL

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    As of today, I'm going to pass. They kick off their tour here, the day after the 4th of July.

Anyway, I just don't feel it.

Wife and I are planning to see Rush that month. With that being said, my wife has been cranking the VH lately. BTW, I think that is so hot. I get a big smile on my face when I catch my Ol' lady signing to I'm The One.

Hmmm....Van Halen, outdoor venue, July 5th, wife, friends and alcohol? That does sound good.
    Come on, you KNOW you're going to go!

Dave is kind of a shell of his former self, but Ed is back on form.
    I'm not crazy about the guitar tone, but he's blazing for sure.

This could be it for the boys.

I'm picturing Ed focusing on Wolf's career, post-tour.

Band Manager
    For a live show, Roth is fine!

I think the criticism of him is a little overblown. The untampered live record thing is a bad idea, it's like the one thing I WOULDN'T have Roth do. He can still make a good studio record, and he is passable for the live shows.

I don't think the live record was the Brothers hanging him out to dry. I think they accept Roth as he is, know they don't have other, better options, and are actually COMFORTABLE with Dave. Even in their dysfunction, they have a certain amount of understanding with Roth. Roth and EVH are both difficult, but seem to have found the right amount of space between each other. Let's just hope they can produce another studio record from that distance apart.
    Last edited by 1234over; April 1st, 2015 at 03:56 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Dance Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    For a live show, Roth is fine!

I think the criticism of him is a little overblown. The untampered live record thing is a bad idea, it's like only thing I WOULDN'T have Roth do. He can still make a good studio record, and he is passable for the live shows.

I don't think the live record was the Brothers hanging him out to dry. I think they accept Roth as he is, know they don't have other, better options, and are actually COMFORTABLE with Dave. Even in their dysfunction, they have a certain amount of understanding with Roth. Roth and EVH are both difficult, but seem to have found the right amount of space between each other. Let's just hope they can produce another studio record from that distance apart.
    I agree. It seems that Dave and Eddie have found that right amount of space. Studio record just seems like a long shot. They tour this year. Then rest. That puts us in mid to late 2016 to early 2017 before hitting the studio. (That one in Ed's back yard.) New studio album in 2018 or 2019? Wait, I can see a new album, titled 2020! Shit, my hip might go out if I wait that long.

Lost opportunities.

New music please. Live music? Sure, 1980-1981 if you don't mind. I don't need a 2013 Live album. I really don't

To be honest, I was kind of pissed when I heard about a live album and re-remastered classics. Not as pissed now with time, a tour announcement and them on Kimmel. Kind of looked like a band last night.

Things are odd and so many unanswered questions I want answered.

Dave's first time on TV as Van Halen's front man? Really?

Ellen's show later this week? I guess that is their demographics now?

Wolf leaving his current band and playing with Van Halen all of the sudden? I mean they have a replacement bass player going on tour for Wolf. That is odd, yeah?

Dave's new look. I don't mind it. I like it actually. He is working on some new moves Dave looks like he is in great f'ing shape. 60? Anyone one that age, getting a full body tattoo, that fit and just shaved his head is odd to me. I want to know why?

Again, they looked like a band last night.

It's better then them doing nothing.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    I agree. It seems that Dave and Eddie have found that right amount of space. Studio record just seems like a long shot. They tour this year. Then rest. That puts us in mid to late 2016 to early 2017 before hitting the studio. (That one in Ed's back yard.) New studio album in 2018 or 2019? Wait, I can see a new album, titled 2020! Shit, my hip might go out if I wait that long.

Lost opportunities.

New music please. Live music? Sure, 1980-1981 if you don't mind. I don't need a 2013 Live album. I really don't

To be honest, I was kind of pissed when I heard about a live album and re-remastered classics. Not as pissed now with time, a tour announcement and them on Kimmel. Kind of looked like a band last night.

Things are odd and so many unanswered questions I want answered.

Dave's first time on TV as Van Halen's front man? Really?

Ellen's show later this week? I guess that is their demographics now?

Wolf leaving his current band and playing with Van Halen all of the sudden? I mean they have a replacement bass player going on tour for Wolf. That is odd, yeah?

Dave's new look. I don't mind it. I like it actually. He is working on some new moves Dave looks like he is in great f'ing shape. 60? Anyone one that age, getting a full body tattoo, that fit and just shaved his head is odd to me. I want to know why?

Again, they looked like a band last night.

It's better then them doing nothing.
    I know a new studio record is a long shot, but what else do they have to do with themselves? They are jamming at 5150 anyway, it's just that Roth isn't there.

I think too much is being made of The Ellen Show appearance...it's no big deal, and maybe Roth can do something to shock middle age women at least. Nothing he does would shock a younger audience.

I hope Roth does more interviews while on tour this time. It could pump a little life into the tour. Knowing a little bit about how they are feeling, what's going on after/before shows, little tidbits of interactions with fans...these things add some immediacy and relevancy to the shows. The last tours, it just seemed like you knew they were out there on the road, but you couldn't feel a part of it as a fan.

How about some record store appearances, signing records? That kind of stuff gives a tour a sense of being an event. They don't have to do many, just a handful...NYC, LA, Chicago, or something. Boise!

Can't EVH pop in at some club along the tour, and jam with another band that happens to be in town? When the Stones play Chicago, Keith Richards would pop in to Buddy Guy's club, and just jam.

These are the kinds of things the Stones used to do, that generated interest, and added excitement to their tours.
    Last edited by 1234over; April 1st, 2015 at 04:59 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike
    I thought they were going to be awful, but was actually impressed. I just think that Ed's tone is awful and that Wolf looks like he ate himself from the last tour.

My friend was at the show and said that Ed and Dave went at it on the side of the stage, and that Dave asked the crowd if they want one more song, while Ed left the stage with his people and went into a car and left.

I don't understand the confusion with Ellen. A shit tonne of young people watch Ellen. Great way for them to appeal to the masses.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I thought they were going to be awful, but was actually impressed. I just think that Ed's tone is awful and that Wolf looks like he ate himself from the last tour.

My friend was at the show and said that Ed and Dave went at it on the side of the stage, and that Dave asked the crowd if they want one more song, while Ed left the stage with his people and went into a car and left.

I don't understand the confusion with Ellen. A shit tonne of young people watch Ellen. Great way for them to appeal to the masses.
    Uh oh, that doesn't bode well.

What are the odds they make it to Boston in August?

Let's face it, Eddie & Wolf are saving the vocals from being a complete cluster-fuck, by singing
    the backing parts & choruses in tune.
    They are saving Dave's ass up there, especially Wolf.

The band is fantastic, the musical end.
    Edward is playing high octane & effortless, though i'm not into his more "modern" tone.
    Alex sounds solid as ever.
    Wolfgang is pulling his weight & more (bad joke), he is fantastic.

He is a much more adventurous player than Mike ever was, and his singing is
    pretty strong.

The problem, sadly, is Dave.

Vocally, he's a fucking mess.

I've never seen someone so self absorbed that they refuse to adjust or fix things that
    seriously effect their ability to do their job.

In those rehearsal bits, Dave had toned it down & sounded better.
    Then he gets onstage & jumps back into register bizarro!

I'll bet Eddie was miffed.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Uh oh, that doesn't bode well.

What are the odds they make it to Boston in August?

Let's face it, Eddie & Wolf are saving the vocals from being a complete cluster-fuck, by singing
    the backing parts & choruses in tune.
    They are saving Dave's ass up there, especially Wolf.

The band is fantastic, the musical end.
    Edward is playing high octane & effortless, though i'm not into his more "modern" tone.
    Alex sounds solid as ever.
    Wolfgang is pulling his weight & more (bad joke), he is fantastic.

He is a much more adventurous player than Mike ever was, and his singing is
    pretty strong.

The problem, sadly, is Dave.

Vocally, he's a fucking mess.

I've never seen someone so self absorbed that they refuse to adjust or fix things that
    seriously effect their ability to do their job.

In those rehearsal bits, Dave had toned it down & sounded better.
    Then he gets onstage & jumps back into register bizarro!

I'll bet Eddie was miffed.
    We don't even know how heated this rumored squabble was! Sounds like business as usual. I don't think anything about Roth's performance was a revelation to EVH.

And while Roth is a distraction, I can't rave about the band either. They play it so safe, and uninspired ("high octane"?....uh, no). There is no tension and release generated, it's all smoothed out, and pretty much "paint-by-numbers". They sound like old guys playing young man's music.
    Last edited by 1234over; April 1st, 2015 at 01:50 PM.

Roadie
    Here's my $.02. They will be in full blown tour rehearsals from after "Ellen" to the beginning of the tour and they will tighten things up with him then. I think the sheer excitement of the first TV appearance, the nose fiasco and being 'rusty' all came to a head on Kimmel. Truly he didn't sound THAT bad - he just needs to hit the marks and lose the schtick and focus on the music.

Who knows, July 5th is when they kick off the tour perhaps during the next [3] months we can get them to do some recording - especially now that Eddie knows where Dave is. The tour wraps up in October so a fall/winter release of new material could line up nicely. Go back on tour in early 2016 and hit the indoor barns.

Like I said, my $0.02.

(fingers crossed)

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner Swing 32 View Post
    Here's my $.02. They will be in full blown tour rehearsals from after "Ellen" to the beginning of the tour and they will tighten things up with him then. I think the sheer excitement of the first TV appearance, the nose fiasco and being 'rusty' all came to a head on Kimmel. Truly he didn't sound THAT bad - he just needs to hit the marks and lose the schtick and focus on the music.

Who knows, July 5th is when they kick off the tour perhaps during the next [3] months we can get them to do some recording - especially now that Eddie knows where Dave is. The tour wraps up in October so a fall/winter release of new material could line up nicely. Go back on tour in early 2016 and hit the indoor barns.

Like I said, my $0.02.

(fingers crossed)
    They didn't seem "rusty" to me. Roth sounded about as good as I have come to expect, and the band sounded well rehearsed. It sounded just like what I would expect the 3,679th time they have played "Panama" to sound like....bored.

The squabble sounds like it was over wanting to play more. I can surely see Roth thinking "we have all this in place, it's a big event, let's make the most of it!", and EVH just wants to fulfill the contract and go home.

Only a little tardy
    I might be in the minority, but I thought Dave sounded better than he has in last two years or so. I was a bit impressed.

Al might have one of the coolest sets he's had in years. It looks so 80s and modern.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN