Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
VH on the JKL
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VH on the JKL

Band Manager

VH on the JKL

So now my interest is raised a little. Saw some footage of Roth at sound check, and he sounded pretty good. This should be fun.

I don't want to be mean, but Wolf is getting really big, and has something that looks like a beard on his face. He looks like a biker. I always figured Mike Anthony would be the guy that bloated up, but he has managed to maintain an edge. WVH just doesn't have that inside him. It makes me feel oddly sad.

Pics up on VHND. EVH looks really cool!

http://www.vhnd.com/2015/03/30/van-h...mance-tonight/
    Last edited by 1234over; March 30th, 2015 at 09:22 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Love ya moms......
    Waiting to watch it now...
    Almost feel like a kid waiting to catch his favorite band on the boob tube.....almost.

WTH?
    One of the fans waiting outside looked exactly like Hacksaw Jim Duggan. And yes I noticed the blonde beside him
    Last edited by Achilleslastand; March 30th, 2015 at 11:40 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Eddie looks great, i agree.

I think Wolf inherited his mom's genes, as she mentioned in her book her struggles with
    weight & diet.
    Luckily, he got his Dad's musical side, because the kid CAN play.

I watched the live stream, and the three Van Halen's are playing at a very high level.
    No doubt, these guys play together all the time & love rehearsing.

While i like Dave's enthusiasm, and the fact he injured himself within the first song
    but kept going, he is a bit of a distraction, vocally.

He can't help himself, he get's excited, i guess.

But, overall, i kind of enjoyed it.

Ed is like a man re-born.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Eddie looks great, i agree.

I think Wolf inherited his mom's genes, as she mentioned in her book her struggles with
    weight & diet.
    Luckily, he got his Dad's musical side, because the kid CAN play.

I watched the live stream, and the three Van Halen's are playing at a very high level.
    No doubt, these guys play together all the time & love rehearsing.

While i like Dave's enthusiasm, and the fact he injured himself within the first song
    but kept going, he is a bit of a distraction, vocally.

He can't help himself, he get's excited, i guess.

But, overall, i kind of enjoyed it.

Ed is like a man re-born.
    I haven't seen it yet. Kimmel comes on in a few minutes here. I saw some pics of Roth with the band aid.

They covered it on the local news, and my god, the crowd was all pear-shaped old folks. Roth and the Brothers (a new name for the band?!) were probably the most fit people there. I'm wondering what that might say about my generation?
    Last edited by 1234over; March 31st, 2015 at 02:32 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I haven't seen it yet. Kimmel comes on in a few minutes here. I saw some pics of Roth with the band aid.
    Eddie & Al do a really nice jam while Dave walks offstage, after busting his nose.
    Little things like that show how effortless it is for those guys to just play on the spot.

Wolf looks like he should be in Los Lobos, though!

I just can't get over Ed playing with so much fire, again.
    He blazes through "Eruption," and effortlessly rips through HFT.

I wish he'd use that fire & skill for creating new material (and solo's).

Band Manager
    Still waiting...this is the longest exposure I have ever had to Vin Diesel. He is the biggest queen I've ever seen have success as an action hero.

OK. At first I wasn't allowed to post, I think I said some things about Vin Diesel that are off-limits...

I have only seen the broadcast stuff so far.

The crowd noise sure did sound enhanced. The camera work/shot direction was pretty mediocre. Jimmy Kimmel's eyes are kind of distracting. I never realized how boring he is (I have never watched the show, all the way through).

I'm so sick of "Panama"...it was never one of my favorites, and at this point it's in one ear, and out the other.

This will sound like a Roth apologist, but I think lots of the changes Roth makes to the melodies are REALLY COOL. The phrasing changes he did on DtNA are pretty nice, and I can hear what he is going for. But the problem is, his voice is too weak to put them across.

Overall, he does alright most of the time, but then there are those cringes. You know they are coming, and it puts you on edge.

EVH is playing well, but it's so controlled, and kind of rote. Alex the same.

The "chemistry" is not so much bad, as it is bored. The seem to enjoy it, but in a "gentle" way. They are old...maybe too old for this music. Like I have said before, I would prefer they recorded some bluesy stuff, in the style that Roth is best suited for.

They are stuck playing the music of their youth, because they didn't evolve their sound/style through the decades, together, bringing along their core audience. All those blank years were when EVH should have been putting out music that showed other aspects to his playing/composing.

Compared to the Cafe Wha? show, this sucked.
    Last edited by 1234over; March 31st, 2015 at 04:13 AM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Waiting to watch it now...
    Almost feel like a kid waiting to catch his favorite band on the boob tube.....almost.

WTH?
    One of the fans waiting outside looked exactly like Hacksaw Jim Duggan. And yes I noticed the blonde beside him
    I just met Hacksaw at Comic Con with my sons a couple of months ago.
    I didn't see the guy you're referring to.

Band Manager
    I've got to admit, seeing this I'm getting a bit excited now.
    Ed looks fantastic, and Dave's looking good too.
    C'mon Dave, maybe you can do this.
    Just sing them straight - nothing fancy.
    If anything, undersing them.
    Use the low voice.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Buried in there somewhere, there still IS some voice left in Roth.
    He'll hit on cool things for a verse or something, but then start screeching and ruin it.

I loved the look on Ed's face when he tore into "Unchained."
    That smile was so genuine, he loves that riff!

And Dave sang the first verse in a really cool manner, it caught me off guard.

I understand 1234's "rote" comment.

I'm not sure if i'd classify them as bored, but they do seem to be playing these things
    in an almost over rehearsed manner.

I kinda miss the spontaneity of the classic era VH, where the band would just be bursting to
    create on the spot.

Overall, though, Ed & Al (and Wolf, to an extent) sound really, really good.
    Imagine how depressing it would be, had they lost their chops.
    Gotta be thankful that they are performing like the monsters they were.

Ed, especially, put in a LOT of work (Alex is always good).

CREATE GUYS!

Do a trio, i don't care at this point.
    You've got mountains of skill at your disposal.
    Write something.

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    I just met Hacksaw at Comic Con with my sons a couple of months ago.
    I didn't see the guy you're referring to.

At around the 2:30 mark.