Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ed says, He'd love to make another studio album... - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,717
    Honestly, I don't understand the live record, tour, remasters....none of this should be happening without new material. You've had two years to write songs and work together. Everybody is busy doing nothing. Then, your going to do another tour and take another year off. Or longer. That's backwards.

    I don't see any individual to blame here...I see them ALL to blame! Sadly, since their return nothing has changed in regards to "communication". I just hope they use "I" statements when they do talk.

    I would hope the "Wolf" speculation is all crap. If it is truly a band, Dave should be wanting to help guide Wolf by sharing his thoughts on song writing and construction. Just be Uncle Dave, man.

  2. #22
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    I definitely agree, POP.

    If they tour, they will be touring to support a concert from another tour, two years ago.
    You gotta have a few new tracks to push a live album.

    The whole Smithsonian honor COULD have tied in nicely, with a box-set or career
    retrospective.
    That's another missed opportunity.

  3. #23
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I definitely agree, POP.

    If they tour, they will be touring to support a concert from another tour, two years ago.
    You gotta have a few new tracks to push a live album.

    The whole Smithsonian honor COULD have tied in nicely, with a box-set or career
    retrospective.
    That's another missed opportunity.
    I know this is gonna sound too negative, but this Smithsonian thing is being a bit overblown.

    It was a nice honor, but it wasn't front page news. It was a blurb on Yahoo, not a mention on the Nightly News. It wasn't a Kennedy Center Award. The Smithsonian has lots of exhibits, and likely a few of these kinds of speaking engagements every week in that same auditorium. There are fans acting like Roth snubbed EVH by not being there, and that is completely ridiculous.
    I didn't hear any talk about it from friends, or any clue that people that weren't hardcore fans were the least bit interested in it.

    Again, it was cool, a nice honor, and a good chance to meet EVH, but tying it to product wouldn't go very far.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 16th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  4. #24
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I know this is gonna sound too negative, but this Smithsonian thing is being a bit overblown.

    It was a nice honor, but it wasn't front page news. It was a blurb on Yahoo, not a mention on the Nightly News. It wasn't a Kennedy Center Award. The Smithsonian has lots of exhibits, and likely a few of these kinds of speaking engagements every week in that same auditorium. There are fans acting like Roth snubbed EVH by not being there, and that is completely ridiculous.
    I didn't hear any talk about it from friends, or any clue that people that weren't hardcore fans were the least bit interested in it.

    Again, it was cool, a nice honor, and a good chance to meet EVH, but tying it to product wouldn't go very far.
    I agree there wasn't a lot of weight to this honor, and using to sell something isn't ideal, but like UG said, it woulda been something positive to mention thru the course of a box set release, at the very least. Touring on a live record from two years ago...that has to be a first? If it happens, of course.

    I would agree it's stupid if fans are coming down on Roth for not being their. This wasn't some huge honor. He had plenty of support their, anyway.

  5. #25
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I agree there wasn't a lot of weight to this honor, and using to sell something isn't ideal, but like UG said, it woulda been something positive to mention thru the course of a box set release, at the very least. Touring on a live record from two years ago...that has to be a first? If it happens, of course.

    I would agree it's stupid if fans are coming down on Roth for not being their. This wasn't some huge honor. He had plenty of support their, anyway.
    Yeah, I'm not trying to crap on it. It shows that EVH has become established in our culture as kinda the modern Les Paul.

    Roth would have just been a distraction, and it wasn't really about the band. Were there any other celebrities, or famous musicians there? Steve Lukather, or other of Ed's buddies? I didn't see any mentioned... DLR not needed.

    It was some pub for the Smithsonian's exhibit, and EVH too. I like when EVH does philanthropic things. It shows a nice side of him that you really didn't get to see when he was struggling. He has so much knowledge, I hope this is him starting to find ways to present it to people. It might be the best thing he has to offer if he isn't going to be releasing music.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 17th, 2015 at 02:11 AM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  6. #26
    Pride of Pasadena and Unchainedguitars, I feel the same way as the both of you. For christs sake, Van Halen cannot even update the official site to reflect a "new" CD coming out. Good god, the are still selling the last tours t-shirts for full market price. Its been 3 years since the last tour. I love Van Halen as much as anybody on this or any other message board, but they make it sure hard to be a loyal fan.

  7. #27
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Were there any other celebrities, or famous musicians there? Steve Lukather, or other of Ed's buddies? I didn't see any mentioned... DLR not needed.
    Good question. I have to think somebody showed up for this.

  8. #28
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by ed head View Post
    Pride of Pasadena and Unchainedguitars, I feel the same way as the both of you. For christs sake, Van Halen cannot even update the official site to reflect a "new" CD coming out. Good god, the are still selling the last tours t-shirts for full market price. Its been 3 years since the last tour. I love Van Halen as much as anybody on this or any other message board, but they make it sure hard to be a loyal fan.
    Hehe, yeah, those t-shirts kill me. Thirty, forty dollars for a t-shirt....urghh. The Stones do the same crap. Great stuff but damn...they like to bone ya.

  9. #29
    Giving Dave A Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    482
    Lukather is on tour with Ringo's all stars, Brian May with Queen and Tony Iommi is living in the UK I believe. Those are his 3 closest friends in the business as far as I know.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

  10. #30
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    It was a rhetorical question.

    I really doubt Lukather, or Brian May, or other friends beyond his family, would have flown to Washington DC for this. It wasn't that big of an event, so for some fans to act like Roth snubbed EVH is ridiculous. It was a speaking engagement at a national museum, and EVH getting his Stealth into the museum (where he already has a guitar).

    The Stealth is now "A National Treasure". I realize that sounds a bit cynical, but I think there is some truth to that angle.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 18th, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wolfgang Van Halen currently at work in 5150 studio on first album!!
    By DLR 1973 in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 16th, 2015, 03:15 AM
  2. Favorite SRV Studio Album
    By A.J. MASSEY in forum House of Music
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
  3. SAMMY HAGAR: 'I Love Playing Music And I love VAN HALEN'
    By ryanpday in forum House of Music
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 16th, 2006, 06:18 PM
  4. VAN HALEN To Record New Studio Album?
    By ryanpday in forum House of Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM
  5. Music To Make LOVE By~~~~
    By Sweet Irony in forum House of Music
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2003, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •