Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Van Halen Tokyo Dome Live In Concert released on March 31 2015 CONFIRMED / VERIFIED - Page 24
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: What should Van Halen do now?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Confirm or deny the live album rumors

3 17.65%
  • Nothing this is great publicity for them

14 82.35%
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    John 5 was on the Metal Show a few weeks ago and while technically it was somewhat impressive there was no tone and no feeling whatsoever. Very generic. I thought to myself at the time "this doesn't sound to much different from EVH on the last couple tours.
    I saw that episode.

The drummer from Slayer was gushing all over John 5, but i'll never understand the attraction to that
    guy's playing style.

He seemed like a really nice guy, though.

Thus far, TMS has sucked pretty hard this season.

Only a little tardy
    I don't even know what to think of this band anymore.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I saw that episode.

The drummer from Slayer was gushing all over John 5, but i'll never understand the attraction to that
    guy's playing style.

He seemed like a really nice guy, though.

Thus far, TMS has sucked pretty hard this season.

Me too. The guy can play but I don't see any great solo records in his future.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I'm off this band completely, I don't even want a new album. Just start releasing vintage things and call it a night. Stop damaging the band's legacy. I think a project with just the Van Halens would be interesting, but at this point they're just shitting on the band's legacy with Dave.

Sorry, I know, I sound like an ass, but that's just how I feel now...
    Na, it's understandable at this point. I would love a record but, yeah, seeing them live is losing it's appeal. The luster from 2007 is definitely gone.

Dave is definitely making me think about not going to a show. The band is great, however. Yeah, Ed's tone aint great, but I think that all ended when he hung up the Frankie. I don't know...we'll see.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Me too. The guy can play but I don't see any great solo records in his future.
    I guess the solo record he has with Dave, is primarily acoustic.

Band Manager
    I guess the solo record he has with Dave, is primarily acoustic.
    Yeah, that might actually be interesting. I always thought VH shoulda dun more acoustic stuff. Dave does well with acoustic stuff, too.

Band Manager
    Much like the Kimmel show, I don't think this record is as bad as everyone thought it would be. I'm enjoying it.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Much like the Kimmel show, I don't think this record is as bad as everyone thought it would be. I'm enjoying it.
    I'm kinda surprised, man.

I've listened to the final release of it, and the vocals are extremely distracting.
    The band is playing really well, though a bit rote, but Roth is having a lot of difficulty in
    translating the old material.

It's more sad for me than anything.

I understand they are old now, but there has to be a certain standard of professionalism,
    especially if you are going to make that one the live album with the original singer.

I still do not understand people rolling over & just accepting this.

Band Manager

I've listened to the final release of it, and the vocals are extremely distracting.
    The band is playing really well, though a bit rote, but Roth is having a lot of difficulty in

I understand they are old now, but there has to be a certain standard of professionalism,
    especially if you are going to make that one the live album with the original singer.

They are 60 years old, man. They play "high-velocity folk music", and that takes it toll (when done properly). I think all of them are doing pretty well, even Roth.

Of course, when I went straight from a Kimmel video to "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" from Brasil in 1983, it pales in comparison...so does virtually ANY band, young, old, or in-between.

I probably won't go see them or buy the record, but I'm not going to beat up on them either. I heard some flubs out of EVH, and Alex is lacking in energy, so it's not just Roth (Wolf is "The World's Largest Invisible Man" at this point). It's okay, I don't expect greatness, I just want to see some sparks now and then. I think they can provide that.
    Last edited by 1234over; April 2nd, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager

Yeah, I kinda surprised myself a bit. I guess after hearing the boot these past years I was thinking Dave was really bad this show. Upon hearing the CD he didn't sound as bad as I thought. Some songs, Romeo, WIL, EWS, he stays lower and doesn't ruin them, for me. Trust me, if every song was as bad as Panama or Jump I'd be feeling a lot different.

Part of it is the band is so good I can get past his screw ups, as well. As long as it's one or two a song.

I agree, he should try to deliver the vocals, but since his return he hasn't been that great to begin with. 2007 was decent but he was struggling there, as well. I guess I've learned not to expect much from him.

I don't know, everything you say is true but I just never saw them as the band we grew to love. There was no way they were gonna be even remotely close to that. They're a different band. With a different guitar sound, a different harmony sound, and a singer that doesn't know his range, of late. For where they are now, I guess anything that sounds half way decent, to my ears, is going to make me happy.

Honestly, I'd rather have this than Sam again.