Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Van Halen Tokyo Dome Live In Concert released on March 31 2015 CONFIRMED / VERIFIED - Page 16
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: What should Van Halen do now?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Confirm or deny the live album rumors

3 17.65%
  • Nothing this is great publicity for them

14 82.35%
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Only a little tardy
    I can't help but feel we're not giving Wolf enough credit. He's not his father but I definitely think he knows the Van Halen sound. He did come up with the new bridge for "She's the Woman", it may be a small instance but to me it shows that won't put some modern metalcore breakdown because he's from this generation. Wolf knows the name and the game. I don't know what other songs he may have had a helping hand in ADKOT, but he wrote it with Ed and Al (I'm with 1234 that it's bothersome that Dave wasn't part of the process).

I don't even know what to think of the modern VH now. A classic line up barely intrigues me anymore. I almost hate to say it, but at their current status, they've become "has-beens" to many people.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I can't help but feel we're not giving Wolf enough credit. He's not his father but I definitely think he knows the Van Halen sound. He did come up with the new bridge for "She's the Woman", it may be a small instance but to me it shows that won't put some modern metalcore breakdown because he's from this generation. Wolf knows the name and the game. I don't know what other songs he may have had a helping hand in ADKOT, but he wrote it with Ed and Al (I'm with 1234 that it's bothersome that Dave wasn't part of the process).

I don't even know what to think of the modern VH now. A classic line up barely intrigues me anymore. I almost hate to say it, but at their current status, they've become "has-beens" to many people.
    He sounds like a pretty good drummer too, eh? Just this quick vid shows he has skills.
    http://instagram.com/p/x3GbRtGfXL/?modal=true

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    He sounds like a pretty good drummer too, eh? Just this quick vid shows he has skills.
    http://instagram.com/p/x3GbRtGfXL/?modal=true
    Needs more control and technique but he has rhythm at least. Probably why he's confident on playing bass.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Like Mike
    haha...the first step is admitting it.

But yeah I can still dig on a lot of that record and agree it still shows a bit of the old EVH. There was still a fire. For me the bigger line from old Eddie to new Eddie was 1991 when he started using new guitars and amps. His writing on Fuck and Balance seem way different from even 5150/OU812. That's when he started to become less alien and more human to me.

Dave had to assemble a band and rely on them (mostly) for the music/songwriting piece. Must've been pretty hard trusting 3 new guys to continue great songwriting.
    Yeah, I feel like 0U812 is when he had the last shred of Eddie... It was very faint, but it was still there. On FUCK, it was completely gone.

No cheer******s allowed!
    haha...the first step is admitting it.

But yeah I can still dig on a lot of that record and agree it still shows a bit of the old EVH. There was still a fire. For me the bigger line from old Eddie to new Eddie was 1991 when he started using new guitars and amps. His writing on Fuck and Balance seem way different from even 5150/OU812. That's when he started to become less alien and more human to me.

Dave had to assemble a band and rely on them (mostly) for the music/songwriting piece. Must've been pretty hard trusting 3 new guys to continue great songwriting.
    I completely agree about the 1991 comment.

That was a huge departure, just his tone & songwriting.
    Even his solo's seemed "human," with things like "Poundcake."

He sounded almost Satriani/Vai like, in his approach.
    I wasn't a fan of him using two pickups, haha!

5150 still retained the warped, rubbery, off the cuff Eddie-isms.
    FUCK seemed more structured, more in line with the guitar players of that time.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    Yeah, I feel like 0U812 is when he had the last shred of Eddie... It was very faint, but it was still there. On FUCK, it was completely gone.
    Definitely agree, jack.

I'm no fan of OU812, but there is some old Eddie on there (a tired, old Eddie).

His guitar was about to get the boot, they were falling out of love.
    Dudley Gimple was soon to be waiting in the wings...

Band Manager
    Before 5150 I was really excited to hear what they were going to sound like. I remember taping WCTBL off the radio (I still have the cassette!), and I remember digging the toggled synth part, and the syncopated guitar solo section. Hagar didn't really get in the way, except that stupid "it's got what it takes" line. But then when I heard the rest of the record, and his tone was "spongy" and his playing was slippery, both extensions of what he was doing on "1984", and while it was alright, the gritty shade was missing. it was a slippery slope after "5150".

I think most here would agree that Wolfgang is a good musician. I'm not going to bicker about how ridiculous I think him writing for Van Halen is. I'm pretty much at a loss for words. If that's where the band is at, I'm done.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

It's like a sewing circle in here.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by LLEADD View Post
    It's like a sewing circle in here.
    Haha...kinda, but that lends itself to more in-depth discussions. When there are 30 people jumping in a thread (many of them idiots, or people that haven't read the previous posts) it gets difficult to make clear points.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 12th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    The kid is from a different generation, it would change the sound greatly i think.

Here's something i'm not proud to admit.

Recently, i started enjoying a lot of the music on 5150.
    It's the only Hagar record that still has a tiny bit of the old Eddie.

I like Ed's writing.
    He is a really fine songwriter.
    Even something like "Dreams" is so well written.
    The solo is majestic, almost like a movie.

I hated that song, but grudgingly knew it was extremely well crafted, even back then.

I never got that with Dave's first solo record, Eat em & Smile.
    It had lots of flash & pyrotechnics, but on his own, he was not even close to the
    songwriter Eddie was/is.

Eddie is just an alien, which is why i can't picture Wolf becoming a key writer in the band.
    Without question. Wolf writing everything would completely change the band. If another record is ever produced I don't see this happening. I see Ed in control with he and Wolf bouncing idea's off each other. After all, this is one of the reasons this band is still around. Ed, getting have fun with his son in the studio.

Don't be ashamed, UG. 5150 had some good stuff. 5150 and Dreams are very well constructed, with killer solos, too. Like OU812, there's still some old Ed on their.
    To be honest, this is the first record I thought of Ed as a songwriter. Back then, before this record, I always saw him as the guitar god. The great riffs and solos. Didn't really think about too much else. The addition of keyboards made me see him in a different light and re-examine the old stuff, and appreciate it even more.

I still say this record woulda been a classic if Dave was still their.

Totally agree about Dave. That record was all flash. If Dave was anywhere near Ed's songwriting ability this reunion probably wouldn't of happened.