Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Van Halen Tokyo Dome Live In Concert released on March 31 2015 CONFIRMED / VERIFIED - Page 15
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.

View Poll Results: What should Van Halen do now?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Confirm or deny the live album rumors

3 17.65%
  • Nothing this is great publicity for them

14 82.35%
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    What's happening is your seeing the disappointment turn into anger.

We had all waited for months to hear what this special project was.
    there was cyber speculation it might be the return of Michael Anthony, a documentary, a vintage
    related retrospective, a new album.
    But what we ended up getting was a live CD from 2013 & bare minimum remasters.

Fans are disgruntled.
    Fans are tired of being jerked around with no pay-off.
    Being a fan of this band is like having terminal blue balls.

Sadly, Wolf is receiving the brunt of the negativity on the links, when it should be
    directed towords Ed & Dave (to some extent).

Al & Wolf are just trying to go with the flow.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    What's happening is your seeing the disappointment turn into anger.

We had all waited for months to hear what this special project was.
    there was cyber speculation it might be the return of Michael Anthony, a documentary, a vintage
    related retrospective, a new album.
    But what we ended up getting was a live CD from 2013 & bare minimum remasters.

Fans are disgruntled.
    Fans are tired of being jerked around with no pay-off.
    Being a fan of this band is like having terminal blue balls.

Sadly, Wolf is receiving the brunt of the negativity on the links, when it should be
    directed towords Ed & Dave (to some extent).

Al & Wolf are just trying to go with the flow.
    It's hard to tell what role Wolf is playing in all this (if it is in fact true). Is EVH pressuring him to write for Van Halen, or is it something they both want? Were they jamming on something of Wolf's and EVH said "yeah, let's use this for Van Halen", and Wolf doesn't want to contradict EVH? When you see interviews with the 2 of them, there is that weird vibe like a coach and his son, the quarterback.

It feels like EVH is trying to have Wolf "take over the family business" like it's a family restaurant or something. It's like he is using Roth to re-establish the brand and allow Wolf take over the name. For me, as someone that feels "Van Halen" was as much a creation of Roth's as it was Eddie's, that's really a fucked thing to do.

It's hard to get a good idea what is going on. But there obviously aren't any freshly written songs coming from these guys.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 11th, 2015 at 01:00 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Roadie
    it's all strange. This release wouldn't be so bad... if they already released some great, classic live DVD or box set before. But no... we wait...still

I was happier when I thought Wolf's tweet with #AngryBirds was addressing the fan uproar. But then when he tweeted it wasn't... at least he's aware

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    it's all strange. This release wouldn't be so bad... if they already released some great, classic live DVD or box set before. But no... we wait...still

I was happier when I thought Wolf's tweet with #AngryBirds was addressing the fan uproar. But then when he tweeted it wasn't... at least he's aware
    I was too!

I'm thinking, "Okay, they are saying we get it. You're angry about what you're getting."
    I was thinking maybe he'll pass it along to the band, and we'd get them thinking in a different direction.

Instead, of course, he actually did mean the game.

Only in VH bizarro world, where the motto should be:

Proudly representing the most frustrated music fans on the internet!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    It's hard to tell what role Wolf is playing in all this (if it is in fact true). Is EVH pressuring him to write for Van Halen, or is it something they both want? Were they jamming on something of Wolf's and EVH said "yeah, let's use this for Van Halen", and Wolf doesn't want to contradict EVH? When you see interviews with the 2 of them, there is that weird vibe like a coach and his son, the quarterback.

It feels like EVH is trying to have Wolf "take over the family business" like it's a family restaurant or something. It's like he is using Roth to re-establish the brand and allow Wolf take over the name. For me, as someone that feels "Van Halen" was as much a creation of Roth's as it was Eddie's, that's really a fucked thing to do.

It's hard to get a good idea what is going on. But there obviously aren't any freshly written songs coming from these guys.
    If wolf was my son, i'd say, "Make your own mark, make your own music, but we can't place it under
    the banner of Van Halen."

Eddie is such a specific kind of musician & writer.
    Dave is such a specific kind of musician & writer.

Those guys are from another era, and their chemistry & style is unique.

It would be like Jimmy Page enlisting his daughter into Led Zeppelin & saying,
    "Have at it, dear. Write your Stairway to heaven or whatever you desire...
    we can still call it Led Zeppelin."

Wolfgang is never going to be Eddie.
    A guy like Ed is one in a billion, kinda like being born & hitting the lottery.

Wolfgang seems like the most normal dude.
    He's a decent player, but is he that unique?

Eddie is a creative wizard (or was), but he's bonkers.
    So is Roth.
    These are not normal, solid human beings & players.

I'm reading the Joe Perry book, and fucking Tyler is so far out of his tree, then & now.

What the hell is my point?

Eddie needs to let his kid spread his wings, under his own name or project.
    Ed can produce or engineer the demos, but don't force it upon Roth (if that is
    even happening).

We'll see.

Band Manager
    If wolf was my son, i'd say, "Make your own mark, make your own music, but we can't place it under
    the banner of Van Halen."

Eddie is such a specific kind of musician & writer.
    Dave is such a specific kind of musician & writer.

Those guys are from another era, and their chemistry & style is unique.

It would be like Jimmy Page enlisting his daughter into Led Zeppelin & saying,
    "Have at it, dear. Write your Stairway to heaven or whatever you desire...
    we can still call it Led Zeppelin."

Wolfgang is never going to be Eddie.
    A guy like Ed is one in a billion, kinda like being born & hitting the lottery.

Wolfgang seems like the most normal dude.
    He's a decent player, but is he that unique?

Eddie is a creative wizard (or was), but he's bonkers.
    So is Roth.
    These are not normal, solid human beings & players.

I'm reading the Joe Perry book, and fucking Tyler is so far out of his tree, then & now.

What the hell is my point?

Eddie needs to let his kid spread his wings, under his own name or project.
    Ed can produce or engineer the demos, but don't force it upon Roth (if that is
    even happening)
    We'll see.

It's the Van Halen's Restaurant, and Roth was just their original Maitre d'.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Giving Dave A Break
    So, it sounds like a tour is coming.

Eddie Van Halen talks immigrant roots, innovation in music

By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) ó For Eddie Van Halen, making music is all about having good ears and a talent for experimenting with guitars and amps to create just the right sound.

Now 60, Van Halen told The Associated Press heís ready to get back on the road. His band recorded a live album ó its first with founding singer David Lee Roth ó in 2013, and itís waiting for a release date.

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/2015/02/11/eddie...#ixzz3RUrSQOta
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

Band Manager
    Yeah, I thought the comments over at the links, towards Wolf's ,weight were out of line. No need to go their.

As far as him writing songs for VH. Hey, if he can contribute that'd be great. But him writing most of it...that's absurd.

Honestly, if song writing was in his bag I think we woulda seen it by now.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, I thought the comments over at the links, towards Wolf's ,weight were out of line. No need to go their.

As far as him writing songs for VH. Hey, if he can contribute that'd be great. But him writing most of it...that's absurd.

Honestly, if song writing was in his bag I think we woulda seen it by now.
    The kid is from a different generation, it would change the sound greatly i think.

Here's something i'm not proud to admit.

Recently, i started enjoying a lot of the music on 5150.
    It's the only Hagar record that still has a tiny bit of the old Eddie.

I like Ed's writing.
    He is a really fine songwriter.
    Even something like "Dreams" is so well written.
    The solo is majestic, almost like a movie.

I hated that song, but grudgingly knew it was extremely well crafted, even back then.

I never got that with Dave's first solo record, Eat em & Smile.
    It had lots of flash & pyrotechnics, but on his own, he was not even close to the
    songwriter Eddie was/is.

Eddie is just an alien, which is why i can't picture Wolf becoming a key writer in the band.

Roadie
    The kid is from a different generation, it would change the sound greatly i think.

Here's something i'm not proud to admit.

Recently, i started enjoying a lot of the music on 5150.
    It's the only Hagar record that still has a tiny bit of the old Eddie.

I like Ed's writing.
    He is a really fine songwriter.
    Even something like "Dreams" is so well written.
    The solo is majestic, almost like a movie.

I hated that song, but grudgingly knew it was extremely well crafted, even back then.

I never got that with Dave's first solo record, Eat em & Smile.
    It had lots of flash & pyrotechnics, but on his own, he was not even close to the
    songwriter Eddie was/is.

Eddie is just an alien, which is why i can't picture Wolf becoming a key writer in the band.
    haha...the first step is admitting it.

But yeah I can still dig on a lot of that record and agree it still shows a bit of the old EVH. There was still a fire. For me the bigger line from old Eddie to new Eddie was 1991 when he started using new guitars and amps. His writing on Fuck and Balance seem way different from even 5150/OU812. That's when he started to become less alien and more human to me.

Dave had to assemble a band and rely on them (mostly) for the music/songwriting piece. Must've been pretty hard trusting 3 new guys to continue great songwriting.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; February 11th, 2015 at 10:09 PM.