Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ratt: Out of the Cellar and Dancing Undercover Remastered! - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
  1. #21
    Roadie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by brianp88 View Post

    Unchained, nothing VH does from here on out will ever touch the vintage stuff. I liked the ADKOT songs, but Ed's tone isn't as cool as it once was and the production sucks. All instruments at the maximum volume level and barely recognizable stereo separation. That said, it's still worth a listen every once in a while. They sounded great on the tour too, so getting back together and touring was nothing but a positive, for me anyway. I'll take what I can get.
    I agree with ya here. ADKOT was a great reunion album, but I don't care much for the production or Ed's tone. Can't touch his tone from the classic years.

    But still I know he must keep current (with tone, etc) so it is what it is

  2. #22
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    I agree with ya here. ADKOT was a great reunion album, but I don't care much for the production or Ed's tone. Can't touch his tone from the classic years.

    But still I know he must keep current (with tone, etc) so it is what it is
    But why?

    His tone was KING.
    He set the template that all chased.
    Why update it to to some over saturated, trebley version of the current "metal/hard rock" tones?

    I began to realize that a huge part of my attraction to Eddie was that tone.
    I always figured, as a kid, i was just in awe of his skill, chops & riffs.
    But then as i listened to ADKOT, the chops & skill are intact, but there's something missing.

    It's his tone, that classic VH tone, which varied a bit album to album yet retained THAT voice.

    His tone was his signature.

    Once he got into two pickups & EBMM, for me, his tone got more polite & generic.

  3. #23
    Giving Dave A Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    482
    Everyone's tone evolves over time. Tastes change, ears change, people change. Ed's tone changed from album to album, it was always evolving. As for the production, well, it's a fucking loudness war, turn everything up until it just clips then compress the shit out of it. That's how almost everything is done now. I don't think the production or mixing is bad on the album, just the mastering is over blown.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

  4. #24
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Everyone's tone evolves over time. Tastes change, ears change, people change. Ed's tone changed from album to album, it was always evolving. As for the production, well, it's a fucking loudness war, turn everything up until it just clips then compress the shit out of it. That's how almost everything is done now. I don't think the production or mixing is bad on the album, just the mastering is over blown.
    His sound did not change character radically until 5150 (which, yes, i understand was pre EBMM).

    The first six records DID have that distinctive, early Eddie characteristic: The brown sound.
    It was rawer, less saturated, more defined, but still hot rodded.

    By the time he was doing records like Balance, he was heading into Joe Satriani mode (sound wise).

    I get that tones evolve, but my point is that he lost part of what made him unique.

  5. #25
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    His sound did not change character radically until 5150 (which, yes, i understand was pre EBMM).

    The first six records DID have that distinctive, early Eddie characteristic: The brown sound.
    It was rawer, less saturated, more defined, but still hot rodded.

    By the time he was doing records like Balance, he was heading into Joe Satriani mode (sound wise).

    I get that tones evolve, but my point is that he lost part of what made him unique.
    Yeah, "evolving" is fine...when it's good. When it's going the wrong way, it's not good. Jimmy Page's tone "evolved", and it sounded cool all the way. If EVH tried something for a few years, and kept changing, coming up with a different tone every few years (decades?), then you would think he might hit on one that blows your mind all over again. But he doesn't...he changed it, and just kept going in the wrong direction.

    I really wish he experimented more. I can accept experimentation, if every now and then it results in something excellent.

    And what happened to the crazier, noise experimenter? The guy that gave us the intros to "Atomic Punk", "Mean Street", "...And the Cradle Will Rock"?
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  6. #26
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Well, i think his tastes went more melodic rock & the old brown didn't fit with his new approach.
    Same thing happened with his hero Clapton, the tone became more formatted & familiar.

    I will say, the lead tone on 5150 wasn't bad.
    It wasn't as raw, but it still had that signature/Eddie thing.
    And it still fit, despite Ed penning adult contemporary like Dreams & Love walks in.
    Somehow, his tone became more elastic, but it worked as a backing tone to those silly keyboard
    excursions.

    I heard "Dreams" on the radio the other day, and my ear was drawn to the little warbling, guitar
    overdubs that Ed accents that main, poppy keyboard riff with.

    It was the one part of the song i liked.
    It was like the frankenstrat's last breaths: I'm dying, Ed why have you killed me, brother?!

  7. #27
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Yikes...I'll take Ed's tones over Jimmy Page but it's all just opinions. I'd say Ed's tone on ADKOT was better than any of the Hagar or III records. I agree with CalFB as far as the production aspects.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  8. #28
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Thing is, it's not like he has gone soft like Clapton. ADKoT has plenty of very aggressive music.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


  9. #29
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    I did appreciate the fact that ADKOT was, in fact, heavier.

    I'm just not finding myself revisiting the tunes like i have all those early VH records.
    I really liked it a lot, when it first came out.
    Maybe i just appreciated the surprise of getting something new & unexpected.

  10. #30
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I did appreciate the fact that ADKOT was, in fact, heavier.

    I'm just not finding myself revisiting the tunes like i have all those early VH records.
    I really liked it a lot, when it first came out.
    Maybe i just appreciated the surprise of getting something new & unexpected.
    I understand that.
    But like I said about the tone, there was plenty of room for heavy tones, and even if he went "soft" and melodic there is no reason why it couldn't be a cool soft tone, like for instance the intro to "Women In Love". Or "Hear About It Later". Or "Secrets". Or "In A Simple Rhyme".

    I'm not saying he should replicate those, I'm saying I don't mind softer, or more melodic tones, I just want them to be good.

    I think he misses Donn Landee.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Remastered...
    By geoff7877 in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: March 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM
  2. Ratt - New Album Will Sound Like Cellar Meets Invasion!
    By Simon Ribeiro in forum House of Music
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM
  3. Dancing Lilo
    By unchainedguitars in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
  4. Dancing Bush
    By i1sum2! in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 20th, 2005, 02:05 PM
  5. dancing in the street
    By stevanroth in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 29th, 2004, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •