Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Van Halen Toronto 1979
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Band Manager

Van Halen Toronto 1979

Not sure if this has been posted. I know I have seen the autograph session footage, but not the rest...

It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Nice find, man! I'm sure everyone else has but I've never seen the concert footage either. Great stuff! A case could be made this was their greatest tour.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Nice find, man! I'm sure everyone else has but I've never seen the concert footage either. Great stuff! A case could be made this was their greatest tour.
    I wouldn't argue!

One thing I really like, and noticed is different from later tours is the lighting. They used a more "theatrical" approach, with more spot lights instead of the wash of color they used later. It's really cool, though it doesn't make for good Super 8 filming. I think that the band moved around a bit too fast for the spotlight operators, who lose track of them a lot. But it is a great effect to have the guys looking kind of suspended in a beam of light (best description I could offer right now)....it looks cool.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    I liked the "spot light" approach, too. Like you said, it's theatrical...with some mystery. Of course, once the money rolled in they were able to go all out with stage design and lighting. There's definitely something special about these old shows, though, before the giant stages, background designs , amp walls...etc. They really didn't need any of that. They were a spectacle in their own right.

Haha...those spot light operators had an impossible task keeping track of Dave and Ed, back then. The "Alex" gig woulda been much less stressful.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I just downloaded a 79 bootleg from Vancouver, Canada.
    One i'd never heard before.

The first song, LUTS, sounds like a typical audience bootleg....THEN...
    the sound improves, for the rest of the set, to near soundboard quality.
    Eddie's guitar is right in your face, as is Al's drums.
    Everything is loud, but mixed so well.

The boot is amazing!

Mike actually does his bass solo in conjunction with Al, like a latin/rock thing,
    and he smokes on the thing.

I listened to the whole thing & it's relentless.

Ed's tone is great, but distinctly dryer, which makes me wonder if it's the Bee.
    The sound is slightly different, but still brown.

But, man...

This show is a keeper for sure!

Band Manager
    I gotta get hip to these bootlegs, my knowledge of them is not where it should be. Where are you downloading stuff? Is it free?