Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Alex Van Halen Thread - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Some of those replicas are amazing. I'm guessing they were built by someone in a VH Tribute band.

Here's another shot of the replica in your signature pic. Not 100% sure but think that's the kit from Fan Halen I think it was up on EBay for $10,000 a couple years ago. It looks wicked to say the least.

From what I've read. That FW kit is the real deal, but had to be restored because of it's terrible condition. I don't get the Bros. sometimes, they just let things get into terrible condition and not care. The Silver Sparkle kit is in deplorable state apparently, when they pulled it out of the supposed warehouse in LA to put it into a Hard Rock cafe, one of the guys noted how warped the shells were. Unplayable now.

The one is my sig is a replica built by someone. Can't remember his name.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    From what I've read. That FW kit is the real deal, but had to be restored because of it's terrible condition. I don't get the Bros. sometimes, they just let things get into terrible condition and not care. The Silver Sparkle kit is in deplorable state apparently, when they pulled it out of the supposed warehouse in LA to put it into a Hard Rock cafe, one of the guys noted how warped the shells were. Unplayable now.

The one is my sig is a replica built by someone. Can't remember his name.
    Oh Yeah that pic you posted is indeed the FW kit I forget where it's at but have seen the pic before. I just meant to reply about the 1984 replica since I had the other pic of it and accidentally erased too much of the quoted text from the post.

Supposedly the 1978 kit is in Europe there's pictures of it set up somewhere floating around.

I recently ran across a rare old pic from 1975 where Alex had a gong.

Only a little tardy
    Oh Yeah that pic you posted is indeed the FW kit I forget where it's at but have seen the pic before. I just meant to reply about the 1984 replica since I had the other pic of it and accidentally erased too much of the quoted text from the post.

Supposedly the 1978 kit is in Europe there's pictures of it set up somewhere floating around.

I recently ran across a rare old pic from 1975 where Alex had a gong.
    I think the FW kit is in California, but I'm not too sure right now. The Invasion kit is in Cleveland.

Here's the 78 kit in Europe. "set up"

Band Manager
    Never saw them in 1988 but intrigued and surprised by their stage on the MOR tour particularly Alex's drum set and solo with the rising platforms. All of a sudden out of the blue he decided to copy KISS and Motley Crue.

The stage was very sleek that year kind of a cool surprise to see the drum solo. His kit was indeed a little extra special that year. I'm guessing they wanted to do something extra since being a large stadium bill with the other acts. Only tour to my knowledge he did this.

Yeah, the kit was cool. I actually forgot about that. But that was really it. The stage itself was just a stage. The most basic of any tour during the Sam era. From what I can remember, anyway.

Band Manager
    I think the FW kit is in California, but I'm not too sure right now. The Invasion kit is in Cleveland.

Here's the 78 kit in Europe. "set up"
    Yeah Thanks thats the one I was looking for. It appears to be in pretty good shape there. I read a comment that stated otherwise but it seems to be fine.

Now need to find what happened to the 79 and 82 kits.

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, the kit was cool. I actually forgot about that. But that was really it. The stage itself was just a stage. The most basic of any tour during the Sam era. From what I can remember, anyway.
    Yeah the stage production seemed quite simplistic and bare. It must of blown everyone's minds once those drums started rising. Anyone having seen VH live before wouldn't of expected that from Alex. All of a sudden it turns into a freakin KISS concert.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; November 16th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Band Manager
    Yeah, I suppose it was thing to do, back then, but I woulda never guessed Al to got that direction.

About these drum kits. Is there a replica drum kit market like there is for famous guitars?

Only a little tardy

Now need to find what happened to the 79 and 82 kits.
    The Steel 79 kit is apparently in the "infamous" Area 51 of a warehouse that holds most of the old tour gear including drum kits. The 82 kit I heard was there too. The 83 kit was sold on ebay I believe.

Yours truly, As Is
    The Steel 79 kit is apparently in the "infamous" Area 51 of a warehouse that holds most of the old tour gear including drum kits. The 82 kit I heard was there too. The 83 kit was sold on ebay I believe.
    Yeah I've read where Al has always had all his old tour kits collecting dust in storage. Until recent years, where the aforementioned FW, WACF, and VHI kits have been refurbished and put on display.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Yeah I've read where Al has always had all his old tour kits collecting dust in storage. Until recent years, where the aforementioned FW, WACF, and VHI kits have been refurbished and put on display.
    I do think the 1984 kit was sold as well or given to someone.

I've read that several of his snares were given to various roadies and drum tech over the years. I wonder if he even still has the original super sensitive from the first three albums, or the Rosewood from FW, DD, and 1984.

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, I suppose it was thing to do, back then, but I woulda never guessed Al to got that direction.

About these drum kits. Is there a replica drum kit market like there is for famous guitars?
    I definitely believe Al was part of the "lets give them a show" aspect of Van Halen. As much finesse that he has, a lot of his stuff is "flashy" so to speak but not spastic. It's well placed, like an artillery engineer. The kits he put together were aesthetic to the audience. I can't count the time anymore where I've read "Dude, I remember seeing them in 1980 and Al's kit was like this space ship, man!" He was always experimenting though with other types of drums and sounds. Just like his brother does, maybe that's where he got it. Ed was not the only jazz fusion listener. Rototoms, octabons, hell even the simmons pads were being used by progressive and jazz drummers of his day. He used the Pearl varipitch drums for several tours as well. And look at the 1988 tour kit. Northstar drums and such.