Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Alex Van Halen Thread - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I definitely believe Al was part of the "lets give them a show" aspect of Van Halen. As much finesse that he has, a lot of his stuff is "flashy" so to speak but not spastic. It's well placed, like an artillery engineer. The kits he put together were aesthetic to the audience. I can't count the time anymore where I've read "Dude, I remember seeing them in 1980 and Al's kit was like this space ship, man!" He was always experimenting though with other types of drums and sounds. Just like his brother does, maybe that's where he got it. Ed was not the only jazz fusion listener. Rototoms, octabons, hell even the simmons pads were being used by progressive and jazz drummers of his day. He used the Pearl varipitch drums for several tours as well. And look at the 1988 tour kit. Northstar drums and such.
    Yeah the monster kits were flashy, but listening to old boots and seeing what film footage there is, he was all over those kits, making use of all the drums he had up there.

It's ridiculous for anybody to call out Alex for not being a purist(as I've seen in another thread here) because he used Simmons drums. People forget just how popular those things were for several years. As you said, even jazz drummers were using them. But, seems like bagging on the Brothers for everything is the "in" thing to do on EVERY VH forum on the net. Gets old.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    I do think the 1984 kit was sold as well or given to someone.

I've read that several of his snares were given to various roadies and drum tech over the years. I wonder if he even still has the original super sensitive from the first three albums, or the Rosewood from FW, DD, and 1984.
    The TAMA rosewood snare I actually used to own, it was stolen by a friend on friend in the early 90s
    "December 16th, the Dude abides..."

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outtalove View Post
    The TAMA rosewood snare I actually used to own, it was stolen by a friend on friend in the early 90s
    That's unfortunate. Those snares aren't made anymore and cost a lot now. They have a really nice sound when tuned. Ludwig actually based AVH's limited edition snare on it, only 100 made though.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Only a little tardy
    What's surprised me about Al is how much he's always promoted Ludwig, but has had several kits of different makes over the years (Never sponsored though). From Rogers all the way to Peavey.

Here's the Rogers kit from the infamous "Loss of Control" video.

But he's also had Tama octobans, Remo rototoms, Tama hardware, Pearl Varipitches, and I've even heard Slingerland drums in the early days.

Band Manager

Only a little tardy
    I may not be enthralled with the new tour and shite, but Al's kit looks really slick. A lot like the '79 tour with the stainless steel/chrome.

Groupie
    I may not be enthralled with the new tour and shite, but Al's kit looks really slick. A lot like the '79 tour with the stainless steel/chrome.

Yes, I thought that Alex's new trim on his drumkit looked fantastic. Real sweet!!

Alex is my favorite rock drummer behind John Bonham.

I still don't know if I will go and see the band in Dallas. It will be a day of show decision.
    Last edited by The Rover; April 18th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.

Somebody said . . . "Fair warning" ? ? ?

Band Manager
    I agree! One of his best drum kits, I think!