Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415

    Eddie on MXR in new Guitar World

    In the new Guitar World, there is a cool new interview with Ed on his use of
    the MXR pedals (Flanger, Phase), throughout his career.

    One tidbit i never knew, was that "Light up the sky" was written before "Atomic Punk."
    How is it that LUTS did not make the cut for Van Halen's debut?!

    I guess the muffled, palm-cello thing, which he utilized in the quiet part of LUTS
    (at the end of the drum solo) inspired the intro to "Atomic Punk," later on.

  2. #2
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    I could have sworn that Ed said, previously, that LUTS was concieved during the first
    world tour, while he was jamming with ideas backstage.

  3. #3
    Roadie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I could have sworn that Ed said, previously, that LUTS was concieved during the first
    world tour, while he was jamming with ideas backstage.
    That sounds familiar.
    Although I could also see it written along w Atomic Punk using similar technique.

  4. #4
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    That sounds familiar.
    Although I could also see it written along w Atomic Punk using similar technique.
    It's such a "next level" song, especially compared to something like "Little dreamer" or
    "Feel your love tonight."

    I'm shocked Ted said, "Nah. Maybe the next album."

    I still think Ed wrote it post debut album.
    It sounds too much like a "new" song.

  5. #5
    Groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    It's such a "next level" song, especially compared to something like "Little dreamer" or
    "Feel your love tonight."

    I'm shocked Ted said, "Nah. Maybe the next album."

    I still think Ed wrote it post debut album.
    It sounds too much like a "new" song.
    if you listen to the Steve Rosen interview on youtube (which you probably have already) which is from 79, right before or around the time of the release of VH II, Ed is very much into playing LUTS during much of that interview.

    Doesn't prove anything but again, definitely feels to me to corroborate your sentiment that it was a "new" song.

    You never can really know wtf ed is really talking about, especially now a days.

    Could be maybe he came up with portions of it prior to Atomic Punk and then put the entirety together after VHI, leading up to VHII.

    I agree that it sounds new for the time and that it is next level. It is one of my all time fav VH songs and always has been. It's like a Tour de Force of the heavier side of VH bad-assery.

    Also took me years to realize how Blackmoore-ish that riff is. It's like Blackmoore on steroids.

    Oh, and another thing that lends merit to the belief that it was, in complete song form anyways, new for VHII: I have never heard it or any part of it on any pre VHII (or VHI for that matter) demo or bootleg. If it was completed before the first record why did they never demo it or how did it never make it onto a club bootleg?
    Last edited by multo74; September 24th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
    "we sound like a goddamn rock band!"

    --David Lee Roth, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984

  6. #6
    Groupie
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    98
    the other thing that could be possible is that perhaps the song was done musically but Roth hadnt done melodies and lyrics yet, hence, the song wasnt yet complete to be demo-ed, performed or recorded for VH1
    "we sound like a goddamn rock band!"

    --David Lee Roth, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984

  7. #7
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by multo74 View Post
    if you listen to the Steve Rosen interview on youtube (which you probably have already) which is from 79, right before or around the time of the release of VH II, Ed is very much into playing LUTS during much of that interview.

    Doesn't prove anything but again, definitely feels to me to corroborate your sentiment that it was a "new" song.

    You never can really know wtf ed is really talking about, especially now a days.

    Could be maybe he came up with portions of it prior to Atomic Punk and then put the entirety together after VHI, leading up to VHII.

    I agree that it sounds new for the time and that it is next level. It is one of my all time fav VH songs and always has been. It's like a Tour de Force of the heavier side of VH bad-assery.

    Also took me years to realize how Blackmoore-ish that riff is. It's like Blackmoore on steroids.

    Oh, and another thing that lends merit to the belief that it was, in complete song form anyways, new for VHII: I have never heard it or any part of it on any pre VHII (or VHI for that matter) demo or bootleg. If it was completed before the first record why did they never demo it or how did it never make it onto a club bootleg?
    Good call in regards to the Blackmore influence.

    It definitely contains that Blackmore diad riff thing (Burn, Can't happen here, Knockin' at your back door, etc.)
    Ed even uses his thumb over the neck (at least i think he would) for a portion of the riff, when it slightly modulates.
    Even the solo has a Blackmore recklessness to it, with the crazy bar work & fast alternate picked with open string
    section, climbing up the neck.

    Defnitely agree with your assesment, and "steroids" is right!

    LUTS seems very fresh to my ears, post debut album.
    The fact he kept playing it in that interview, the lack of earlier demos of it, etc.
    I think Ed got his wires crossed on that recollection.

    One thing i will say is that Atomic Punk kinda captures a LUTS vibe.
    It's got the same raw, hard, fast spirit to it.
    Maybe it influenced LUTS direction.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Eddie Van Halen on cover of new Guitar World Magazine
    By unchainedguitars in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: January 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM
  2. Eddie on cover of latest Guitar World...
    By unchainedguitars in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: March 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
  3. Eddie Van Halen & Tony Iommi Guitar World in 2010
    By Humberto5150 in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 181
    Last Post: December 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
  4. New guitar World cover with Eddie
    By tumertek in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: December 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM
  5. Guitar World Mag
    By VH Freak in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: February 16th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •