Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Van Halen 1979 - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen 1979

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    So true!

Just looking at Eddie in that pic, you can tell he was "the new breed" of guitar hero.
    He just looks like he could wipe the floor with anyone, and guys like Schon knew it!
    Even Ed's guitar screams, "I am from the future. Prepare to be blown off the stage!"
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    No doubt! Schon, is like, " I gotta follow that"!
    Yeah there's a few quotes from Neal Schon and Scott Smith about their tour with VH and Montrose in '78.

Neal said he was glad he didn't have to follow Eddie. ( Since Montrose was in between. )

That pic above is from The Marin Center in San Rafeal, Ca on April 5 1979. So Neal was there watching as a friend and fan that night.

Like Mike
    In Jazz class we were learning about Dizzie Gillespie, so I asked if he was the Eddie Van Halen of trumpet. Teacher started talking about how there were many better guitar players than Eddie and had the nerve to say Eric Clapton as one of them... Jesus.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    In Jazz class we were learning about Dizzie Gillespie, so I asked if he was the Eddie Van Halen of trumpet. Teacher started talking about how there were many better guitar players than Eddie and had the nerve to say Eric Clapton as one of them... Jesus.
    Ya just have to remember the controversy and jealous dislike that Ed stirred up in the old guard and the old way of playing the guitar lol. Plus, Ed isn't English and VH isn't a "serious or important" band!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Love ya moms......
    Well there very well may have been guitarists technically better then EVH but I can guarantee you Clapton isn't one of them, and matter of factly ive never understood the adoration for the guy. I mean just out of the Yardbirds Beck and Page were much much better.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Well there very well may have been guitarists technically better then EVH but I can guarantee you Clapton isn't one of them, and matter of factly ive never understood the adoration for the guy. I mean just out of the Yardbirds Beck and Page were much much better.
    He listed Clapton, Hendrix and Page as the better guitarists. Personally, I think it's Page, Hendrix and Eddie on top, but no one took the guitar to the heights that Eddie did.

Love ya moms......
    He listed Clapton, Hendrix and Page as the better guitarists. Personally, I think it's Page, Hendrix and Eddie on top, but no one took the guitar to the heights that Eddie did.
    That's odd I just don't see the appeal of Clapton certainly not as a player. I heard some tapes of Yngwie when he was like 16 yrs old which he recorded around 79. He was amazingly brilliant and could play like a madman even at that young age but still couldn't write anything memorable.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    That's odd I just don't see the appeal of Clapton certainly not as a player. I heard some tapes of Yngwie when he was like 16 yrs old which he recorded around 79. He was amazingly brilliant and could play like a madman even at that young age but still couldn't write anything memorable.
    I think Clapton gets a lot of respect because he was kinda the first guy in the British Invasion that really stepped out. For that time, he had a really nice touch, and was a young white kid. Hendrix dug him, The Beatles dug him. I think he is really good as a sideman, but I think he was surpassed immediately by Beck as soon as he left The Yardbirds, and then a long line of flashy English players (let alone American).
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Giving Dave A Break
    I really dig a lot of what Clapton has done, not so much the pop stuff, but his rock stuff is great. Cream were a juggernaut of fuzzy heavy blues rock and were no doubt one of the forefathers of heavy rock and metal.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

Band Manager

Band Manager
    I would say that Edward might have been more of a Miles Davis on guitar.

As for Clapton, yes - you've got to recognize that he was one of the first guitar gods.
    A milestone.
    He was aggressive in Cream, and tore it up.
    He's a snore now though.