Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
1984 (drum sound) ... EVH interview looks back at 1984 30 years later
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    Roadie

1984 (drum sound) ... EVH interview looks back at 1984 30 years later

Ok... in this interview where Eddie remembers recording 1984. Some cool stuff to read.

But I'm not sure I was ever aware that the whole album was 100% electronic drums (except for snare). I realized there were electronic pieces sprinkled in there (HFT kicks, etc) but Ed says...
    1. The new studio was too small to fit a real kit... so all drums were electronic except snare
    2. Because it was so small... they tracked all drums first ... then tracked all cymbals separate. That sounds like an incredible pain in the ass

When I think of 5150 album I immediately think electronic drums. But w 1984 I never thought that same way.

http://www.guitarworld.com/eddie-van...n-5150-studios
    Last edited by thismusicsux; September 1st, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Ok... in this interview where Eddie remembers recording 1984. Some cool stuff to read.

But I'm not sure I was ever aware that the whole album was 100% electronic drums (except for snare). I realized there were electronic pieces sprinkled in there (HFT kicks, etc) but Ed says...
    1. The new studio was too small to fit a real kit... so all drums were electronic except snare
    2. Because it was so small... they tracked all drums first ... then tracked all cymbals separate. That sounds like an incredible pain in the ass

When I think of 5150 album I immediately think electronic drums. But w 1984 I never thought that same way.

http://www.guitarworld.com/eddie-van...n-5150-studios
    I didn't like them at the time, but i did love the drums on "I'll wait."

Listening today, they sort of add an interesting texture to what we call that 1984 sound.
    I don't mind it as much in that context.

Only a little tardy
    There's also rototoms in there. Again, due to room constraint.

Room was like this.

http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    There's also rototoms in there. Again, due to room constraint.

Room was like this.

Yeah I'm pretty positive the toms on "I'll Wait" are rotos.

The electric drums on 1984 sound a thousand times better than the sound Al used on 5150.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Only a little tardy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty positive the toms on "I'll Wait" are rotos.

The electric drums on 1984 sound a thousand times better than the sound Al used on 5150.
    "Jump" as well. I think most of it on the album are roto toms for the upper toms.

Agreed, and have to add OU812. It just sounds so flat on that album.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    "Jump" as well. I think most of it on the album are roto toms for the upper toms.

Agreed, and have to add OU812. It just sounds so flat on that album.
    Yeah, that sweet fill on DDL is rotos, and same with a bunch of the fills on House Of Pain I believe. I always liked the sound of the drums on 1984.

I will say that OU812 atleast sounds better than 5150, but that's not saying much lol.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Only a little tardy
    I want to think he put rotos as rack toms, and simmons for floor toms. Most of the fills have that kind of vibe and sound with that set up. I do think HFT is all Simmons pad though.

Most of the drum sounds on OU812 are triggers IIRC.

Band Manager
    "1984 was me showing Ted how you really make a Van Halen record."
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

1984 drum sound EVH interview looks back at 1984 30 years later

yo blavatsky, you should try putting a speaker in front of your kick drum and using it as a mic, you will need the mic the head too, but it should give you some bad ass lows. cant wait for your next pack.

1984 drum sound EVH interview looks back at 1984 30 years later

Very cool. I don't think i ever caught the fact that you had a dummy coil in that bass. Alembic "Series" instruments also have 2 single coils and a dummy in the middle.