Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What got you into Van Halen? - Page 6
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Seriously man, I am at a loss how anyone that appreciates those performances can think Van Hagar has anything to do with discussing Van Halen. Roth is an ESSENTIAL part of the experience.
    I agree, and i also equate Roth with Eddie at his instrumental peak!

But, come on, a picture of Ed in reeboks & sweats, Sammy in Jamz and sandals...
    The epitome of rock n roll 'tude!

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Seriously man, I am at a loss how anyone that appreciates those performances can think Van Hagar has anything to do with discussing Van Halen. Roth is an ESSENTIAL part of the experience.
    You are correct...
    Althought i did see them with Sam several times in the 80s my line of thinking was if i cant see 100% of the band together then seeing them with 75% together was better then nothing.
    I think last time i saw them with Sam which was 90 or so i left the show several songs early to beat the crowd as well as boredom.

And come to think of it i am 100% certain all of my VH stuff with Sammy has been lost and never replaced while i still have copies of the first 6 albums as well as the latest one which should tell you something about staying power.
    Last edited by Achilleslastand; August 9th, 2014 at 11:53 PM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    You are correct...
    Althought i did see them with Sam several times in the 80s my line of thinking was if i cant see 100% of the band together then seeing them with 75% together was better then nothing.
    I think last time i saw them with Sam which was 90 or so i left the show several songs early to beat the crowd as well as boredom.

And come to think of it i am 100% certain all of my VH stuff with Sammy has been lost and never replaced while i still have copies of the first 6 albums as well as the latest one which should tell you something about staying power.
    Yeah, I wanted to like Van Hagar. I didn't buy "5150", but I did buy "OU812", and it just didn't get any air time with me.

If it wasn't for the discussions on this board, I would have forgotten 95% of Van Hagar's output. It just evaporated.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Like Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Six times I think...
    And twice in 84
    Also on these last 2 tours.

And it was fucking glorious man. They spread across the US like Islam in the desert, you could just tell they were the next big thing. I cant imagine a kid these days getting the same feelings from whoever is the flavor of the month these days.
    That is so incredible. I envy you. I was born too late.

And you're right. I listen to a lot more broad range of music than I used to, and find myself listening to stuff that isn't hard rock or metal more often than not. But when it comes down to it, nothing at all can top those bands. The sound, the innovation, the power, the image, the energy. Music isn't about magic or mystique anymore.

But then again.. Is anything these days?

The best concert I've been to was Black Sabbath this year while they were all grandpas up there. Go figure. The music from that era has incredible staying power.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I didn't buy 5150 either, but i aquired it later on.

At the time, the singles on radio were "Why can't this be love?" and "Dreams," and i
    remember thinking, "This is even worse than i had imagined."

For some reason, i did buy OU812 the week it came out.

I think i was just desperate for an Eddie fix, somehow.
    I remember going through my second CVH wave, again, at that time.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I didn't buy 5150 either, but i aquired it later on.

At the time, the singles on radio were "Why can't this be love?" and "Dreams," and i
    remember thinking, "This is even worse than i had imagined."

For some reason, i did buy OU812 the week it came out.

I think i was just desperate for an Eddie fix, somehow.
    I remember going through my second CVH wave, again, at that time.

Yeah, it's odd, I didn't buy "5150" or attend that tour, but I did buy OU812. and somehow (I can't remember how) ended up at that "Monsters of Rock"-thing. It was a half-empty 80,000 seat stadium, and I just remember being embarrassed for both the fans and the bands, thinking "This is just a large gathering of people standing around wasting time".

I never paid attention to the Van Halen players again, until the MTV "reunion".
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Dance Baby!
    Me and my friends had just left "rec night" at our local Jr high, On the way back we hit the public libery on the way home. We would go to the album section and see what the public library had to offer. I found out about Richard Pryer this way. Sure enough I stumbled across Van Halen’s Fair Warning. Up to that point I was into AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Aerosmith. Back in Black was in full rage at the time. Black Sabbath with Ronnie was all I knew of. Aerosmith wasn’t even together. I had heard of Van Halen, but only in passing. I liked what I had heard, but I didn’t hear enough. Anyway, I asked a buddy with me that night, “What about this?” He looked at me funny and said, “GET IT!”

I checked it out and walked home with the Fair Warning album in my sweaty little hands.

I remember getting home and slapping the record on to my parent’s 500lb Panasonic AM/FM/turntable,/8-track stereo wood cabinet system. That damn thing took about a 1/3 of our living room. Anyway, plugged in with my head phones and was fucking blown away. Nothing has sounded the same since.

I must have listened to Mean Street 5 or 6 times before I moved on. It was the same with most of the songs on the album. Sinner Swing was stunning to me at the time. Only because Dave, screams “She looks so FUCKING good....” Up to that point, no singer moved me like that. “He said FUCKING,” I thought to myself. How fucking cool was that! The way he states it. Such passion. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck when I heard the first riff to Unchained. By the end of the album, I was sold. It was and has been Van Halen ever since that evening.

By the end of the next week. I had all their albums. AC/DC? Black Sabbath? Aerosmith? Didn’t care anymore. I was all about Van Halen. I read every Hit Parade, Creem and Circus magazine article about VH. I clipped pictures, went ape shit when either UNCHAINED/SO THIS IS LOVE/ HEAR BOUT IT LATER videos came on MTV.

I found my Rolling Stones. My Led Zep if you will! I loved the music, but that appriecation didn’t come until later in life. Back then, it was about the attiitude, the look, the humor, etc. It’s was Rock N Roll meant for me and millions of others. Dave talked to me. They provided the soundtrack to my high school years.

BTW, It was the last thing I ever checked out at that library. I still have that album.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    That is so incredible. I envy you. I was born too late.

And you're right. I listen to a lot more broad range of music than I used to, and find myself listening to stuff that isn't hard rock or metal more often than not. But when it comes down to it, nothing at all can top those bands. The sound, the innovation, the power, the image, the energy. Music isn't about magic or mystique anymore.

But then again.. Is anything these days?

The best concert I've been to was Black Sabbath this year while they were all grandpas up there. Go figure. The music from that era has incredible staying power.
    I just turned 50 a few weeks ago and can honestly say id be glad to trade you places age wise.

I agree with you though every thing is watered down and nothing has that edge or dangerous element anymore at least from my point of view. Maybe that's true and maybe its just me being older and out of the loop.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Back then, especially with those kinda bands, it WAS still dangerous & exciting.

You'd go to these shows, and it certainly wasn't the Abercrombie & fitch crowd, you see at Foo
    Fighter & Green day concerts!

Back then, it was the burnouts, the troubled teens, the slutty girls, the delinquents, at these shows.
    There might have been a Budweiser sign, but it certainly wasn't: Doritios & Bank of America present Metallica.

Back then, the bands actually played through their amps, as opposed to their macbook or fractual axe (or whatever
    the fuck it's called).

Back then, things weren't so ultra PC (especially in Hard rock).

Back then, rock stars looked like rock stars, not employees of microsoft or Best Buy.

Today, it's become too far removed from the 50's/60's rock, which influenced the guys
    we got in the 70's.
    The blues element is kinda gone.
    It's all become so rigid, in a way.

Guys like Eddie, Joe Perry, Angus, Bon, Dave, Steven, Ace, etc.
    Those guys were put on this earth to do what they did.
    I could not picture any of them doing anything else.

Nobody pays their dues anymore, refining their craft in clubs & dives.
    Today, all you need is an iPhone & youtube.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Back then, especially with those kinda bands, it WAS still dangerous & exciting.

You'd go to these shows, and it certainly wasn't the Abercrombie & fitch crowd, you see at Foo
    Fighter & Green day concerts!

Back then, it was the burnouts, the troubled teens, the slutty girls, the delinquents, at these shows.
    There might have been a Budweiser sign, but it certainly wasn't: Doritios & Bank of America present Metallica.

Back then, the bands actually played through their amps, as opposed to their macbook or fractual axe (or whatever
    the fuck it's called).

Back then, things weren't so ultra PC (especially in Hard rock).

Back then, rock stars looked like rock stars, not employees of microsoft or Best Buy.

Today, it's become too far removed from the 50's/60's rock, which influenced the guys
    we got in the 70's.
    The blues element is kinda gone.
    It's all become so rigid, in a way

Guys like Eddie, Joe Perry, Angus, Bon, Dave, Steven, Ace, etc.
    Those guys were put on this earth to do what they did.
    I could not picture any of them doing anything else.

Nobody pays their dues anymore, refining their craft in clubs & dives.
    Today, all you need is an iPhone & youtube.
    Bingo!!!! You hit it square on the head.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-