Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What got you into Van Halen? - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!
    I got into VH all on my own, they were MINE.

My older brother had stacks of creem, etc, a million albums, but never a VH one.
    He was a big influence though, and i remember being like 5, and getting goosebumps
    while hearing Queen's "Sheer heart attack" album and "A night at the opera."
    He also played the first two Boston records, which i loved.

But i got into VH and later, heavy metal stuff, all on my own.

By the time i was 12 or 13, i was like a walking encyclopedia on all this stuff.

I remember my older sister's male friends, who were like 16 or 17, kept on telling her,
    "Your brother knows every detail about my entire record collection!
    I was talking to this little kid for two hours, and he knew things i didn't know!"

I was so proud of that, back then.

I vividly remember sleeping over this kid's house, my friend from grade school (6th grade, i think).
    We crashed in sleeping bags, in his parents living room.
    His older brother came home, whom was known to look exactly like Alex Van Halen,
    came in very late, put the big headphones on & just chilled on the couch.

He was listening to "Neon Knights" by Sabbath, i could hear it coming from the headphones.

So i got out of my bag and said, "Listening to "Heaven & Hell? Great record!"

We ended up talking, at like 2 in the morning, about hard rock & metal, for an hour & a half.
    He was one of the cool kids in town, so after that, i got major respect (thanks to him telling
    everyone).

Soon after, i scored tickets to see my first concert, AC/DC at the Boston Garden.

He went to the show before mine (AC/DC) did two nights, and said, "Dude! They were awesome!
    You are gonna love it, man."

Because i was still so young, it was a big deal i was going to see this show, around town.
    I got even more respect after that, mainly from the cool kids & burn outs!

I know the law, friend.
    I kinda got into them on my own, too. I have 3 older brothers, and though they are familiar with VH and the first two 8 tracks were theirs, none of them were ever huge fans like me. They know the popular songs, Running With The Devil, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Jamie's Crying, etc. but they weren't into them like me. I was addicted!! In fact, it probably drove them away from VH more than it pulled them closer to them.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    UG thinks I'm an embarrassment, lol
    Haha. Well we know UG is a staunch CVH militant (in a good way)

But you said the magic words that I like to hear.
    You liked it all but you realize >> IT DID NOT COMPARE to previous years.

That's all it comes down to. Even if ppl prefer the latter years fine by me. Just realize the first round was way more exciting, legendary and innovative. And not all bc of Samster.

Band Manager
    I don't care if people like it, just don't call it "Van Halen". It's something else
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I got into VH all on my own, they were MINE.

My older brother had stacks of creem, etc, a million albums,
    I was into VH for about a year, but never saw an article or even any photos (aside from the record covers) until I saw the CREEM with Roth on the cover. My brother had gotten a subscription, and the first issue was a Van Halen cover story. I had never seen a rock magazine (aside from Rolling Stone, which basically ignored VH), but from then on I collected them. That's when I went VH crazy, because I saw the photos and read Roth's great quotes.

1980-Creem01.jpg
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I don't care if people like it, just don't call it "Van Halen". It's something else
    For the record, it's tagged as Van Hagar in my iPod.

(and VIII for the Cherone experiment)
    -David Lee Roth-

Long time lurker, so forum gods show mercy. I got into Van Halen in the fifth grade. Partly because of MTV and the 1984 era videos, but mostly because my neighbor had the best stereo in town. During the summer, when all of the parents were at work, Larry would crank the Van Halen LOUD. I could hear it from down the street. He was a major Alex Van Halen fan, so he would crank it all the time.

It just snowballed from there. Its been Van Halen ever since. I married a teacher, so "hot for teacher" was a staple of my wedding reception. We went to Cabo on our honeymoon. My kid was born on March 16. The first song he ever heard was "316". I have played it for him on his birthday for the last 10 years.

ps: Love LOVE LOVE cowboydan's signature gif.

I know the law, friend.
    Great story Ed!!

Damn, 3 posts in 5 years? We need guys like you to contribute more!! I promise we'll be nice
    -David Lee Roth-

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by ed head View Post
    Long time lurker, so forum gods show mercy. I got into Van Halen in the fifth grade. Partly because of MTV and the 1984 era videos, but mostly because my neighbor had the best stereo in town. During the summer, when all of the parents were at work, Larry would crank the Van Halen LOUD. I could hear it from down the street. He was a major Alex Van Halen fan, so he would crank it all the time.

It just snowballed from there. Its been Van Halen ever since. I married a teacher, so "hot for teacher" was a staple of my wedding reception. We went to Cabo on our honeymoon. My kid was born on March 16. The first song he ever heard was "316". I have played it for him on his birthday for the last 10 years.

ps: Love LOVE LOVE cowboydan's signature gif.
    Sounds like you're full of VH in your life. sweet.
    Seems neighbors and older brothers are the key to discovering VH back in their day.

Another thing I miss is .... jamming in a garage... Seems like that was very common during this time.
    Or you'd just hear a drummer practicing in his garage.
    Or just blasting the stereo like you said.
    Don't see that much these days.

Like Mike
    Great stories, guys! Keep them coming!