Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rosen on Eddie Van Halen
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    I know the law, friend.

Rosen on Eddie Van Halen

Not sure how new this article is, but it is dated with today's date. I thought it was a good read. He talks about their friendship, some really unique experiences he's had with Eddie and how one day it just ends:

Behind the Curtain: Jamming with Eddie Van Halen
    Written by: Steve Rosen

When Edward Van Halen unleashed his devastatingly beautiful tonal fury on the first Van Halen album, guitar players around the globe realized they’d just heard the death knell for everything they ever knew. The architecture of guitar playing was forever changed February 10, 1978 when Van Halen was released. No longer could you simply lay your left or right hand on the fretboard—you now had to use both hands in what would become known as tapping. Eddie Van Halen and Steve Rosen Edward had raised the bar. Rewritten the book. Changed the game. Broken the rules. Kicked every guitarist in the ass. Well, I didn’t know any of that when I first met Edward Van Halen sometime early 1978.

I was at the Whisky to see Eddie Money when Michelle Myers—the club’s booker—grabbed me by the arm and said, “There’s somebody you have to meet. He’s Godhead.” Godhead was Michelle’s way of saying, “This is the greatest thing you will ever hear.” I had known Michelle for a long time and she knew I loved guitar players and wrote about them. She pulled me across the room while up on the Whisky stage Money was singing about paradise and holding onto something. I had heard and knew about Ed—at that point everyone in Hollywood had their radar up for Van Halen—but strangely I had never seen him play. Though I’d been attending shows at the Whisky and Starwood virtually non-stop for the past four years, I had never seen Van Halen perform. It was odd. Since their first album release was still at least several weeks away (and maybe months, depending on the exact date of this first meeting), I really had no idea who this person was standing in front of me—and no clue about how profoundly he would revolutionize the electric guitar. Michelle made the introductions: “Eddie, this is Steve Rosen. Steve, Eddie Van Halen. ”He was thin but muscled, had very cool hair and a remarkable smile. It was a kind of smile that made you feel special. It was the smile millions of fans would come to know very well in coming years. He was smoking a cigarette—he would always be smoking a cigarette—that he shifted from his right to his left hand in order to shake my hand. We said hello and immediately he grabbed me and said, “Let’s go upstairs. It’s too noisy down here.” Grabbing me as if we’d been long lost friends recently reunited, we walked up the rear stairway, down to the end of an empty hallway reeking of burned out cigarette butts and into an empty dressing room, which may have been Eddie Money’s. We began talking and for about the next 20 years that conversation never ended.

I asked him, “Should I call you Ed, Eddie or Edward?” He said, “My parents call me Edward and my brother calls me Ed. My friends call me Eddie—you can call me Eddie.” He said that as if we’d known each other for years. I immediately liked him. We talked about Eric Clapton—he loved Cream— and Jeff Beck—not a huge fan—and Detective’s Michael Monarch who he thought “Sounded too much like Beck.” I knew the first Van Halen album was coming out soon (I was on Warner Bros. mailing list and I saw it listed on upcoming releases). I asked Ed about the album. “I think it’s good,” he said, the assessment offered up with equal doses enthusiasm and ‘aw shucks’ humility. “I hope it does OK.” He almost seemed embarrassed by the admission and covered his nervousness with a smile. And there it was again—the famous grin.
    - See more at: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....HQ9xN2S8.dpuf
    Last edited by cowboydan; August 7th, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-