Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Why bother?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why bother?

No cheer******s allowed!

Why bother?

This kid is still in his teens, started playing guitar after he got into Guitar Hero video games.
    And here he is now, playing every VH piece note for note & up to speed.

And here i am, 30 years later, still confused by the solo in "Jump."

I know the law, friend.
    I'm with ya! I don't know whether to cry... or practice, after watching guys with this much talent. I know they work hard at it for hours and hours. But I do think there's a certain amount of innate ability thrown in there too. It's amazing to watch. It inspires me to play though. Just like Doug's videos. He gets me amped up to learn new things and practice them.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.
    I just really hope this kid is writing his own music, playing in a band, and attempting to make a big impact on the scene. I mean, does it really matter that you can play like that if you don't write your own stuff and play live? That's what I love about Doug. He's a teacher, a writer and a performer.....and he also shares his VH knowledge. I respect that so much.
    -David Lee Roth-

No cheer******s allowed!
    In one of this kid's videos he said something that hurt me.

He said, you can practice hours & hours on end with the best gear, but if you don't have
    the hands of an Eddie Van Halen or of a guitar player, you will never be great.

He was right.

Some guys just have it in spades, they have guitar hands.
    Most of us simply do not.

Rockstah (R.I.P.) had the right hands.
    I always knew it was more than just his modified amps.

There's just a natural attack an ability...

So i say, Why Bother?

Why devote all your time and still be a hack?
    We are all really good at something, and we know what this kid's good at.

I know the law, friend.
    I bother because it's fun, it's expressive, it's a good stress reliever, and I love the challenge of learning a piece of music that I never thought I could play. It's like sports to me.......I love seeing improvement when I work at something. Plus people who can't play think I'm a guitar god, and I seriously suck!
    -David Lee Roth-

Giving Dave A Break
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    I bother because it's fun, it's expressive, it's a good stress reliever, and I love the challenge of learning a piece of music that I never thought I could play. It's like sports to me.......I love seeing improvement when I work at something. Plus people who can't play think I'm a guitar god, and I seriously suck!
    That's my exact reason too.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

No cheer******s allowed!
    Valid reasons.

I'm just very hard on myself, especially my natural tone.
    I have good ears, and if my tone sucks, it really bothers me to the point where i don't
    want to put my hands on a guitar.

But i still get inspired by stuff like this & feel that old urge to play.

Only a little tardy
    Hell, I still play even after seeing 12 years run circles around me. Some just had better teachers, ears, knack, etc for it than the rest of us.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Haha, yeah, it's enough to make ya quit! Like Cowboy said, we've excepted the fact most people will always be better. The feeling you get when you can finally play a song you love is pretty cool. And creating your own tunes. And along the way you get a little better. That's pretty much why I started again after leaving it for twenty years. I've been having a blast the last year and a half. Right now I'm working on Crossroads. I've got the first solo down but the second is a complete nightmare half way thru. I won't stop until I get it.

There's a lot of stuff I've just always wanted to be able to do, as well. Some of the crazy fast scales, sweep picking, I suck at it but I'm gonna keep going until I can do it. It might take years but I'm not giving up.

Doug from Oz
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    I just really hope this kid is writing his own music, playing in a band, and attempting to make a big impact on the scene. I mean, does it really matter that you can play like that if you don't write your own stuff and play live? That's what I love about Doug. He's a teacher, a writer and a performer.....and he also shares his VH knowledge. I respect that so much.
    Whoa, thanks man. I don't come in here very much anymore. Thanks for the kind words. I have a new laptop and new video camera, so I'll be doing swinner's swing song and hang 'em high solo soonish.