Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Grunge appreciation thread.....
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Love ya moms......

Grunge appreciation thread.....

If you eventually grew tired of hair metal and moved onto grunge as I did feel free to jump in and contribute.

First off lets start off with 2 of the biggest grunge acts.......
    And lets not include AiC nor Soundgarden as these were more traditional hard rock especially the later.

1.Nirvana
    When they first hit the scene I was like wow these guys are great man. Instead of working the stage they actually spent most of their time on stage staring at the ground{no doubt ever searching for that lost elusive E chord}. And who can forget Cobains freddy kreuger sweater jeesh o man was that ever cool. They should have let Nirvana do the soundtrack to one of the Nightmare on Elm st sequels.....they could have called it "Freddie goes to Seattle revenge of the mopers".
    And the way Cobain used the same chord sequences over and over again but alternated playing them soft as well as loud. Genius I say.......something that had never been done before.
    Lennon for a new generation indeed.

2. Pearl Jam
    Who didnt like Eddie Vedder with his own brand of introspective brand of macho rock. Such classics as Jeremy and Evenflow sucked me in from the get go. And who could forget his Sears toughskins corduroy jeans accompanied with an ever present plain white Tshirt. They musically at least were like a "lite" version of Nickleback only without the soulless forgettable corporate rock by numbers.

Yours truly, As Is
    Of course grunge spawned the incredible 90s Alt Rock movement, whereby rock stars fell by the wayside, replaced by slacker college dropout lookalikes. I will forever be in awe of the greatest brother duo in rock history. No, not those dinosaurs Edward an Alex. I'm talking the leaders of Oasis, the close knit Gallagher brothers, whose band indeed is bigger than the Beatles. Let's all give a toast to the one true "Golden Era" of Rock...
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Of course grunge spawned the incredible 90s Alt Rock movement, whereby rock stars fell by the wayside, replaced by slacker college dropout lookalikes. I will forever be in awe of the greatest brother duo in rock history. No, not those dinosaurs Edward an Alex. I'm talking the leaders of Oasis, the close knit Gallagher brothers, whose band indeed is bigger than the Beatles. Let's all give a toast to the one true "Golden Era" of Rock...
    Didnt Roth make a comment once that the reason why critics hate VH and like Elvis Costelllo is because they all look like EC?

And shit man when you said the"brothers" i thought you meant the Black Keys. Speaking of the Black Keys i saw one them going to into Bestbuy for his p/t job at the geek squad.
    He had a co-exist bumper sticker on his Prius.
    Go figure........

Band Manager
    Blind Melon were pretty good too. The singer was so into his live performances, he wouldn't even stop to use the bathroom. He'd just go ahead and relieve himself on stage into the audience. That's a testament to his dedication. A true legend of the 90's.

Like Mike
    That actually made me chuckle.

It is frustrating that the trends of no rock stars died, much like Rap has become over-saturated, cliched, awful and hasn't been wiped out.

Trends used to change, but it wouldn't be a complete take over, like now.

Do I want all bands to be rock Gods? No... But no rock Gods? Makes me kinda sad.

Band Manager
    Unfortunately,there's just not a lot to appreciate from a "grunge" standpoint.Ya got PJ,Nirvana,Soundgarden,AIC,STP...that's about it.Most of the good bands of the 90's were alternative.

Like Mike
    Tad were a very under-rated Grunge band.

? ? ? ?
    I'd like to add Bush to this list. I did read somewhere that Bush was inspired by the Seattle grundge sound with a more commercially acceptable tone if that make any sense.
    Why behave in public if your living on a playground?

Giving Dave A Break
    Back in 1993, the band I was in had folded so I went to audition for another band. I rolled into the studio, grabbed my bass out of it's case and began to tune up. The singer ambled toward me, I thought he'd dropped something because he kept staring at the ground, not making any eye contact. Then he finally looked up at me and said:

"You don't have to do that any more, man."

I looked puzzled.

"Tuning, you don't really need to do that."

"Oh, riiiiiight, well, i'll stick with what I know for now."

It turns out I got the job, but it didn't last long. Every time I played anything but 8th notes, these guys would drop their instruments on the floor and stand there, not saying anything, just staring at the floor.

In 1995, I was fired. 2 days later, I found myself wallowing so deep in my own self pity, that I tried to beat myself to death with my own bass. Unfortunately, it was too difficult and I failed. I had failed at grunge and I had no idea where my life was headed.

Then I heard this song on the radio called "Can't Stop Lovin' You" and it was so happy and upbeat, I decided to get my life back on track.

the above post may be complete bullshit
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Back in 1993, the band I was in had folded so I went to audition for another band. I rolled into the studio, grabbed my bass out of it's case and began to tune up. The singer ambled toward me, I thought he'd dropped something because he kept staring at the ground, not making any eye contact. Then he finally looked up at me and said:

"You don't have to do that any more, man."

I looked puzzled.

"Tuning, you don't really need to do that."

"Oh, riiiiiight, well, i'll stick with what I know for now."

It turns out I got the job, but it didn't last long. Every time I played anything but 8th notes, these guys would drop their instruments on the floor and stand there, not saying anything, just staring at the floor.

In 1995, I was fired. 2 days later, I found myself wallowing so deep in my own self pity, that I tried to beat myself to death with my own bass. Unfortunately, it was too difficult and I failed. I had failed at grunge and I had no idea where my life was headed.

Then I heard this song on the radio called "Can't Stop Lovin' You" and it was so happy and upbeat, I decided to get my life back on track.

the above post may be complete bullshit
    Not gonna lie...this post made me laugh out loud. But I would bet there was some real truth to it. I'm not sure Cobain ever bothered to tune live...or atleast didn't worry about staying in tune.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!