Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dirty Movies, great guitar cover! - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    So cool to see it laid out like that. I can't believe how underrated this tune is. Maybe if they had played it live, it would have higher stature.

There used to be an "isolated guitar track" video up for DM, that was mindblowing. I consider it one of EVH's top 3 guitar tunes...maybe even his best. The melodies are so distinctly him.
    i had posted an iso track i created removing the vocals for Dirty Movies but i dont recall what thread here at forum it was or website i uploaded it on! lol i cant upload to my soundcloud account, i get copyright infringement warning.

Roadie
    lets see if this works

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0F2Mq87DC0x

use headphones, it'll blow your mind
    Last edited by ErickC; May 9th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Band Manager
    Wow! I've never heard it isolated before.As with most VH isolated tracks it gives you a whole new appreciation for the song,and Ed's genius.The abstract beginning into beautiful melodies and raunchy riffs....it truly is underrated! I would agree with 1234 that it could be argued it was a top three creation.There's a lot of guitar work in this song that prior to,I had never heard anyone do before.Groundbreaking stuff that never got it's due...outside certain circles, anyway.It's always been strange, too me ,that this song never got the love,both on the radio and in general.It has all the key ingredients,catchy riffs,catchy chorus,easy to sing along with,it's length....it has it all.It should've became a staple.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Nobody could touch him in 1981, that's for sure.

I remember hearing all this for the first time, a kid with a vinyl copy of FW,
    and just sitting in front of the speakers.
    My mind was fully blown.

You never knew where his playing would turn, in those days.
    He was unpredictable, yet somehow still on track and in the pocket.
    It was like he had four hands!

I still remember the strange bits too, like the flange whine at the end of
    "Dirty Movies."
    It was faint, but i heard it & thought: That's his guitar sound, but how is he making
    that sound?

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Wow! I've never heard it isolated before.As with most VH isolated tracks it gives you a whole new appreciation for the song,and Ed's genius.The abstract beginning into beautiful melodies and raunchy riffs....it truly is underrated! I would agree with 1234 that it could be argued it was a top three creation.There's a lot of guitar work in this song that prior to,I had never heard anyone do before.Groundbreaking stuff that never got it's due...outside certain circles, anyway.It's always been strange, too me ,that this song never got the love,both on the radio and in general.It has all the key ingredients,catchy riffs,catchy chorus,easy to sing along with,it's length....it has it all.It should've became a staple.
    It's amazing hearing it without vocals and realizing just how much is going on in this track. It's a shame that none of the suits at Warner Bros could hear a single radio single on this album and didn't give FW much backing. It's impossible to understand...
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Giving Dave A Break
    Apart from the obvious, So This Is Love, which should have been enormous, Hear About It Later is, for me, is about as perfect as a rock song can be.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Apart from the obvious, So This Is Love, which should have been enormous, Hear About It Later is, for me, is about as perfect as a rock song can be.
    "Push Comes To Shove" could have easily been a hit single if WB had backed it and pushed it.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    VH II - Party record, sunny, badass, Diamond Dave is born, hedonism, Beautiful Girls

WACF - Cockier, slightly meaner & indulgent, Roth is now a star, Ed unhinged, off the rails, Loose but tight

FW - Darker, funkier, experimental, Ed becomes the alien, swagger, punchier
    was blown away by this cover few months ago. very good. And I often say "Dirty Movies" is my #1 fav VH song even though it's impossible to really pick.

I totally agree with you that those 3 records are the holy trinity for me too. And your descriptions are perfect.

Fair Warning (as we know) is beyond genius. I love listening to that album particularly and it brings back these sensations and memories of listening to it early on in 81/82 and being blown away.

HAIL is probably one of their best all around songs that can kick your ass but is still a perfectly well-rounded and arranged song. Perfect rock song like CalFB said above.

Like Mike
    This made me realise that Ed lifted some parts from "Act Like It Hurts" on "Dirty Movies". It sounds clear as day, but I never noticed it.

This guy has a great attack and tone.

Dirty Movie is a Top 5 VH tune for me for sure, I wish that they played it live. Everything about that tune is splendid.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    was blown away by this cover few months ago. very good. And I often say "Dirty Movies" is my #1 fav VH song even though it's impossible to really pick.

I totally agree with you that those 3 records are the holy trinity for me too. And your descriptions are perfect.

Fair Warning (as we know) is beyond genius. I love listening to that album particularly and it brings back these sensations and memories of listening to it early on in 81/82 and being blown away.

HAIL is probably one of their best all around songs that can kick your ass but is still a perfectly well-rounded and arranged song. Perfect rock song like CalFB said above.
    I remember being a kid in 1981, already obsessed with VH by this point, and hearing the "new" tracks
    previewed on the radio, before FW hit the record stores.
    Back then, radio got the promo albums about three or four weeks before retail.

"Mean street" was the first one, Boston radio started playing.
    My mind was fully blown, could not believe how good it was.
    They played this for 7 days, then mixed another newbie called, Unchained.
    All the goosebumps on my arms appeared, it was like sex before i knew what sex felt like.
    So these two awesome tracks got airplay regularly, THEN, without even announcing it...

Radio started playing another track.

I heard the clean/flanged intro to "HAIL", and i just knew it had to be yet another new
    track from the upcoming VH record.
    There's just no mistaking his approach and chordal ideas.

As soon as Roth comes in with the scream & they locked into that mutha of a riff,
    i realized i was madly in love....with this song!

To this day, it probably has to be my all time fave VH tune.
    Just the groove of it, the pulse of it, the tricky drop D chords weaving these beautiful
    melodic ideas amongst the heavier parts.

Dave's vocals really got me off.
    He sounded as great as ever, just like on WACF & II.

The way he says "neighbors", the way he delivers "pay my bills..."

And God bless Alex & Mikey.
    The rhythm section is like a fucking locomotive on that.
    They are stellar.