Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dirty Movies, great guitar cover!
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    No cheer******s allowed!

Dirty Movies, great guitar cover!

I stumbled on this guy's youtube page, and he does a phenomenal
    version of both "Little Guitars" and "Dirty Movies."

What struck me, watching this guy, was how freaking amazing Eddie's rhythm guitar
    parts are.
    The chords are so interesting, and Ed's utilizing drop-D in a unique way.
    Most guys just do Drop-D and do the one finger power chord thing.
    But Ed creates these tapestry of low sounding, yet melodic chords & riffs, and they
    connect in such a brilliant way

Take for example, the parts that begin with "Show biz is so thrilling" and up to,
    "Go see baby now."

The guitar parts are genius!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I stumbled on this guy's youtube page, and he does a phenomenal
    version of both "Little Guitars" and "Dirty Movies."

What struck me, watching this guy, was how freaking amazing Eddie's rhythm guitar
    parts are.
    The chords are so interesting, and Ed's utilizing drop-D in a unique way.
    Most guys just do Drop-D and do the one finger power chord thing.
    But Ed creates these tapestry of low sounding, yet melodic chords & riffs, and they
    connect in such a brilliant way

Take for example, the parts that begin with "Show biz is so thrilling" and up to,
    "Go see baby now."

The guitar parts are genius!

So cool to see it laid out like that. I can't believe how underrated this tune is. Maybe if they had played it live, it would have higher stature.

There used to be an "isolated guitar track" video up for DM, that was mindblowing. I consider it one of EVH's top 3 guitar tunes...maybe even his best. The melodies are so distinctly him.
    Last edited by 1234over; May 5th, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    So cool to see it laid out like that. I can't believe how underrated this tune is. Maybe if they had played it live, it would have higher stature.

There used to be an "isolated guitar track" video up for DM, that was mindblowing. I consider it one of EVH's top 3 guitar tunes...maybe even his best. The melodies are so distinctly him.
    There's just such a tapestry of interesting chords & connecting riffs/licks, some sounding
    very dissonant & mean, but still melodic.

He really got into some interesting things on FW, which really is Ed's peak, in my mind.
    Hear about it later, Dirty Movies, Mean street, Shove....
    Guitar-wise, there are these layers of sounds and his approach got more complex & experimental.
    That intro to HAIL is genius, actually the entire song as a piece of music.
    Dirty Movies, same thing.
    Those slide melodies countering the heavier stuff, underneath.

Just a brilliant musician & guitarist, born with that gift.

I gotta add, i love how Ed switches gears and does a straight up, basic chunk riff, during the bridge.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    There's just such a tapestry of interesting chords & connecting riffs/licks, some sounding
    very dissonant & mean, but still melodic.

He really got into some interesting things on FW, which really is Ed's peak, in my mind.
    Hear about it later, Dirty Movies, Mean street, Shove....
    Guitar-wise, there are these layers of sounds and his approach got more complex & experimental.
    That intro to HAIL is genius, actually the entire song as a piece of music.
    Dirty Movies, same thing.
    Those slide melodies countering the heavier stuff, underneath.

Just a brilliant musician & guitarist, born with that gift.

I gotta add, i love how Ed switches gears and does a straight up, basic chunk riff, during the bridge.
    He really displays that slightly twisted European melodic sense on FW, with all the overdubs. He never played that way again. He really changed by "1984", which is a much more fusion-y, and lighter (hard to put into words) approach. His studio sounds so much brighter, and metallic than Sunset Sound, too.
    Last edited by 1234over; May 5th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
    It can't be "Van Halen" without Roth, any more than it can be "Van Halen" without Eddie.

No cheer******s allowed!
    I really dig this guy.

The strat actually gets some cool Eddie-like tones, which illustrates how articulate
    Ed's sound was (not as much gain as we might think).

"Little Guitars" is a continuation of the fantastic chord/rhythmic ideas, found on FW.
    The entire intro is just a stunning piece of music, and i never realized the pattern for
    the finger picking part, until this guy laid it out.

Band Manager
    Haha,I watched these a month ago.
    Totally agree,the FW stuff, with it's over dubbing,is so much more complex then anything he had dun to that point.The thing that gets me,as UG mentioned,how he could take beautiful melodies and weave them together with totally different meaner sounding chords and notes.Sometimes,even the melody has an ominous sound too it.Quite a talent indeed.Very impressive just too think about let alone actually do it.

Little Guitars has always blown my mind.One of those songs I've always been surprised was not a bigger hit,all the way around.It's not just the riff that grabs me,either.The melodic part before the solo,how he weaved it all together...just brilliant!

Giving Dave A Break
    Gary is a great player and teacher, he plays, or at least played, in Jeff Scott Soto's band, so he can totally nail Yngwie stuff too.

He's also got a great sense of humour, there used to be some stuff floating around of him doing parody songs, one I can remember is Pull My Finger, a Dream Theater classic and i'm sure there was a VH one too. I've looked for them recently but can't find them.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

No cheer******s allowed!
    I loved how he played the slide parts as straight picking with bends.
    It sounded really good!

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    He really displays that slightly twisted European melodic sense on FW, with all the overdubs. He never played that way again. He really changed by "1984", which is a much more fusion-y, and lighter (hard to put into words) approach. His studio sounds so much brighter, and metallic than Sunset Sound, too.
    Completely agree with both points.

I prefer good, old Sunset Sound.

Ed does have that Euro thing to his style.
    It comes out in these strange bursts of warped melodies & patterns (in his soloing, the patterns aspect).
    He's like a Dr. Frankenstein on guitar.

Interesting how FW pointed to this wild, experimental direction, but then he back peddled a bit
    for DD.
    I guess the sales for FW scared them all, a little bit.

But for me, II, WACF & FW, are the holy trinity.

No cheer******s allowed!
    VH II - Party record, sunny, badass, Diamond Dave is born, hedonism, Beautiful Girls

WACF - Cockier, slightly meaner & indulgent, Roth is now a star, Ed unhinged, off the rails, Loose but tight

FW - Darker, funkier, experimental, Ed becomes the alien, swagger, punchier