Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think it's safe to say at this point, that whatever Led Zep did or didn't do, it has nothing to do with why VH still hasn't released footage from the vault.
    The most obvious reason: Michael Anthony.

Petty? Yes, but it's a reason to the brothers, nonetheless.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    The most obvious reason: Michael Anthony.

Petty? Yes, but it's a reason to the brothers, nonetheless.
    Considering their behavior, I wouldn't put it past them, but I don't think that is the reason either.

I can only think that they don't believe there is enough high quality stuff to make it worthwhile to release. That's why I hope that the response to just those short clips of 8mm might catch their attention.

I had always thought that the split with Roth was the reason old footage wasn't released, and really expected that once Roth was back in the fold, it would allow them to work out anything that might be holding it back. Wrong.

Yours truly, As Is
    Considering their behavior, I wouldn't put it past them, but I don't think that is the reason either.

I can only think that they don't believe there is enough high quality stuff to make it worthwhile to release. That's why I hope that the response to just those short clips of 8mm might catch their attention.

I had always thought that the split with Roth was the reason old footage wasn't released, and really expected that once Roth was back in the fold, it would allow them to work out anything that might be holding it back. Wrong.
    I don't think the brothers wanna have to pay Mike for any old releases. He may have given up his rights to use the VH name now, but he still gets royalties for all old past recordings an videos he played on.

Also, since he became sober, I really think Ed is trying to distance himself from his past and old demons, other than playing the songs live in concert.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

EVH diehard ...
    No freakin' way !!! Haha
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Dance Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Hmmmm...

I could be wrong and most cases I am, but these recent CVH concert videos just don't get upgraded just to get upgraded.

IMO, there is something afoot here. Band and band management involvement?...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Halen Store View Post
    These ARE being upgraded just for the sake of being upgraded. VH isn't involved at all.
    See I was wrong, like most cases!
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Agreed, and agree with your other post cowboy.
    Mystery?
    Keep 'em wanting more?

VH gives very little, so no need to worry about keeping us wanting more.

What are they waiting for?
    'Till they die?
    LOL.Yeah,They've never given up anything from the Dave era.You gotta give something up first to have people wanting more.It's been obvious for years they have plenty of stuff to release.And it all can be restored even better than these were.The problem is you have to want to do it.You have to want to take the time to do it...don't seem like there's any interest their.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    LOL.Yeah,They've never given up anything from the Dave era.You gotta give something up first to have people wanting more.It's been obvious for years they have plenty of stuff to release.And it all can be restored even better than these were.The problem is you have to want to do it.You have to want to take the time to do it...don't seem like there's any interest their.
    I don't know...can't they just have some editor go through footage, piece something together, and then whittle it down from there? They can't spare a couple hours here, a few suggestions, another couple/few hours etc. to have something they all like? They don't have to edit it themselves or something.

I don't think it's that they "can't be bothered". I just wonder if they don't feel the quality of what they have is good enough to ADD to their legacy? I know that we, the hardcore fans will dig it, but EVH (or whoever) might not feel there is a big enough market for what may be uneven performances.

This is why bands used to allow underground bootlegs...stuff from the soundboard that was well recorded, but wasn't good enough to put out officially.

Band Manager
    I don't know...can't they just have some editor go through footage, piece something together, and then whittle it down from there? They can't spare a couple hours here, a few suggestions, another couple/few hours etc. to have something they all like? They don't have to edit it themselves or something.

I don't think it's that they "can't be bothered". I just wonder if they don't feel the quality of what they have is good enough to ADD to their legacy? I know that we, the hardcore fans will dig it, but EVH (or whoever) might not feel there is a big enough market for what may be uneven performances.

This is why bands used to allow underground bootlegs...stuff from the soundboard that was well recorded, but wasn't good enough to put out officially.
    They could hand this off to a pro but this is something they should be heavily involved with.Not just checking out the end result and saying okay.They should be with it the entire process.And it's a lengthy one.Something like this would take close to a year... dun right,anyway.

I agree with your "good enough" comment.Cleary there are some feelings of this stuff is not worthy.That's a factor.And the paying of Mike would be an issue,as well.These issues are probably playing the major role,over "don't wanna put the work in".Although,I would be surprised if they ever did restore some stuff if they would actually work on it.Probably not.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Maybe Jimmy Page can sort through them, once he completes the Zeppelin remasters.

Band Manager
    I would think that there isn't some huge amount of footage to go through, or we would have seen more already. I was exaggerating a little when I said they only had to watch it a couple times, but they wouldn't have to commit a lot of time to it. And if EVH is all about the "here and now" or whatever, wouldn't he be working on some major project? I don't get the feeling that he is (aside from very slow progress on a new VH record). I think the "here and now" stuff is a cop out. Something he says to deflect uncomfortable questions, like Mark McGwire's "I'm not here to talk about the past".