Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fresno '79 Upgrade Video
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I know the law, friend.

Fresno '79 Upgrade Video

You've probably already seen this, but I don't think I ever have.....and I really enjoyed it so I hope you do too.

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Thanks!....Never get tired of watchin old VH videos.. especially enhanced ones

Quote Originally Posted by cowboydan View Post
    You've probably already seen this, but I don't think I ever have.....and I really enjoyed it so I hope you do too.

Van Halen were so full of energy.

After the 1978 tour opening for Black Sabbath and Journey and blowing them off the stage, night after night, I guess Van Halen were forced into a situation were the only option was to headline.

Even Ted Nugent, who came on after Van Halen, couldn't get his own fans re-interested in his performance and shouted at his own fans, "F@ck Van Halen".

Aerosmith learn't this lesson early on in Van Halen's career and therefore didn't cross paths again until 2013 in Australia, and at that point, Van Halen closed the festival.

Makes me wonder what group was big enough at the time to cope with Van Halen as the support act?

Rolling Stones in 1981.

Maybe Led Zeppelin, up to 1980. Although again, I think the energy and excitement of Van Halen's live show could have easily upstaged Plant, Page, Bonham and Jones.

The Who, up to Keith Moon's death in September 1978. This time frame would have covered the UK tour that Van Halen undertook supporting Black Sabbath.

I don't think Deep Purple or Rainbow wouldn't have stood a chance.

AC/DC and Queen are the only other groups I can think of who may have stood a fair chance of regaining the interest of the fans.

AC/DC followed Van Halen at the Donington Monsters of Rock Festival in 1984 and coped, but a festival is different to your own tour with a support act. Interestingly enough, Ozzy Osbourne was on the stage just before Van Halen at that festival.

I would be interested to find out what the reaction of the Rolling Stones was after taking to the stage following Van Halen's opening slot in 1981.

Band Manager
    The VHND write-up is pretty cool. I hadn't really thought about how Roth had a chance to come into his own then, with more time to rap with the audience and develop his stage persona. It seems like pics from this tour get overlooked a bit, I forget about how cool EVH looked with those knee pads, and when he and Roth would all play Mike's bass.

I remember an interview with Joe Perry where he kind of sneers about EVH and his striped guitars and knee pads, and it made clear that VH separated themselves visually from Aerosmith (and their ilk) by being athletic, and dressing for a physical show. It really made them stand out. I can't recall any other bands dressing that way before them.

I wonder why EVH never used the Snake/Dragon guitar much after that? Must not have had a sound he liked...
    Last edited by 1234over; March 26th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Van Halen were so full of energy.

After the 1978 tour opening for Black Sabbath and Journey and blowing them off the stage, night after night, I guess Van Halen were forced into a situation were the only option was to headline.

Even Ted Nugent, who came on after Van Halen, couldn't get his own fans re-interested in his performance and shouted at his own fans, "F@ck Van Halen".

Aerosmith learn't this lesson early on in Van Halen's career and therefore didn't cross paths again until 2013 in Australia, and at that point, Van Halen closed the festival.

Makes me wonder what group was big enough at the time to cope with Van Halen as the support act?

Rolling Stones in 1981.

Maybe Led Zeppelin, up to 1980. Although again, I think the energy and excitement of Van Halen's live show could have easily upstaged Plant, Page, Bonham and Jones.

The Who, up to Keith Moon's death in September 1978. This time frame would have covered the UK tour that Van Halen undertook supporting Black Sabbath.

I don't think Deep Purple or Rainbow wouldn't have stood a chance.

AC/DC and Queen are the only other groups I can think of who may have stood a fair chance of regaining the interest of the fans.

AC/DC followed Van Halen at the Donington Monsters of Rock Festival in 1984 and coped, but a festival is different to your own tour with a support act. Interestingly enough, Ozzy Osbourne was on the stage just before Van Halen at that festival.

I would be interested to find out what the reaction of the Rolling Stones was after taking to the stage following Van Halen's opening slot in 1981.
    I think The Stones were the only group that could follow VH back then. The Stones always had top flight opening bands, and they just have such a presence, that they are unassailable in any situation where the majority of people are there to see them (as opposed to them playing to a VH audience, which of course would never happen).

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think The Stones were the only group that could follow VH back then. The Stones always had top flight opening bands, and they just have such a presence, that they are unassailable in any situation where the majority of people are there to see them (as opposed to them playing to a VH audience, which of course would never happen).
    The Stones were horrendous live by this time period.

Honestly, in this time period VH were it.
    They were the new guard, and when they were on - they were going to top just about any act around.
    Certainly any of the older bands.
    I would say that only the Scorpions or Priest could have gone toe to toe with them.

* At the US Festival Priest, Scorpions and Triumph are far superior to a very messy Van Halen.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    The Stones were horrendous live by this time period.

Honestly, in this time period VH were it.
    They were the new guard, and when they were on - they were going to top just about any act around.
    Certainly any of the older bands.
    I would say that only the Scorpions or Priest could have gone toe to toe with them.

* At the US Festival Priest, Scorpions and Triumph are far superior to a very messy Van Halen.
    I thought the Stones were damn good that tour (judging by the concert footage I have seen). But it doesn't matter anyway, because in front a Stones audience, NO other band stands a chance. And anywhere they play is a Stones audience.

I have seen all the US Festival stuff, and Van Halen's appearance was some sort of surreal performance art. Following Van Halen (which is the term I used "follow Van Halen") is a lot different than opening for them. Different both in Van Halen's approach, and the pressure on the headliner. That was really just a one off event, and none of those bands would have been able to top off that night, they just don't have the kind of charisma it takes to top that kind of event.

Simply put, Triumph blow. They can spend a lifetime practicing, but if they are gonna whip out weak-chinned tunes like "Magic Power" and "Never Surrender"...they really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath (or paragraph) as Van Ha...
    Last edited by 1234over; March 27th, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I thought the Stones were damn good that tour (judging by the concert footage I have seen). But it doesn't matter anyway, because in front a Stones audience, NO other band stands a chance. And anywhere they play is a Stones audience.

I have seen all the US Festival stuff, and Van Halen's appearance was some sort of surreal performance art. Following Van Halen (which is the term I used "follow Van Halen") is a lot different than opening for them. Different both in Van Halen's approach, and the pressure on the headliner. That was really just a one off event, and none of those bands would have been able to top off that night, they just don't have the kind of charisma it takes to top that kind of event.

Simply put, Triumph blow. They can spend a lifetime practicing, but if they are gonna whip out weak-chinned tunes like "Magic Power" and "Never Surrender"...they really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath (or paragraph) as Van Ha...
    Yes, in front of a Stones audience few bands would stand a chance.
    Personally, I never gave Stones audiences much credit - at least after the Mick Taylor years.
    The Stones were positively dreadful.

Have to disagree with you.
    Rick Emmett alone at the US festival just displays so much talent, class and professionalism vs a sloppy half assed Van Halen.

I know the law, friend.
    Last edited by cowboydan; March 29th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
    -David Lee Roth-

I know the law, friend.
    -David Lee Roth-