Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
"Jump" turns 30 today !!! - Page 9
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    For me it's atleast 10x better than DD's keyboard tune, "Dancin In The Streets", the worst tune of the Roth era that inexplicably seems to get a lot of love on here.
    Eddie was writing the music for another song, it was still in development when Ted Templeman and DLR hijacked it for Dancing In The Streets.

I like the music more than the song itself.

Maybe Eddie should revisit it, finish the tune he was originally working on, and include it on the new record.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Eddie was writing the music for another song, it was still in development when Ted Templeman and DLR hijacked it for Dancing In The Streets.

I like the music more than the song itself.

Maybe Eddie should revisit it, finish the tune he was originally working on, and include it on the new record.
    I too found the keyboard sound on DITS interesting, and Ed's solo is a nice one. But the song itself, is so overrated and over recorded. Ed had a right to be pissed that Ted took that keyboard riff for that cover.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    Aside from the wimpy backing vocals (which is a problem on a few other tracks on DD), I don't know what people are complaining about. I think Alex complaining about it just gives people a chance to cut it down, and bitch about Roth and TT. Which is really why Alex bitched... "Oh, look what Roth and Ted made us do", because it's an easy target, and so many VH fans are meddleheds. Roth and his black dance music...

They seemed to dig it when it was released, and EVH sounded enthused "off the record" with Obrecht (where he didn't hesitate to speak his mind).

Compared to some of the Hags stuff, DitS is heavy.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    Aside from the wimpy backing vocals (which is a problem on a few other tracks on DD), I don't know what people are complaining about. I think Alex complaining about it just gives people a chance to cut it down, and bitch about Roth and TT. Which is really why Alex bitched... "Oh, look what Roth and Ted made us do", because it's an easy target, and so many VH fans are meddleheds. Roth and his black dance music...

They seemed to dig it when it was released, and EVH sounded enthused "off the record" with Obrecht (where he didn't hesitate to speak his mind).

Compared to some of the Hags stuff, DitS is heavy.
    I've never liked the song period, no matter who it was that was recording it. Kinda like Pretty Woman. I never understand why that song gets such a huge reaction at every VH concert I've ever been too. It sucks because it pretty much guarantees that VH will always play that damn song. Even the Roy Orbison version isn't THAT great.

But I agree that DITS is better than "Feels So Good" or "Love Walks In" or "Not Enough" as examples.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    I've never liked the song period, no matter who it was that was recording it. Kinda like Pretty Woman. I never understand why that song gets such a huge reaction at every VH concert I've ever been too. It sucks because it pretty much guarantees that VH will always play that damn song. Even the Roy Orbison version isn't THAT great.

But I agree that DITS is better than "Feels So Good" or "Love Walks In" or "Not Enough" as examples.
    Indeed.

I'm not ecstatic about it, but they were rushed and just had a big hit with a cover tune, so I understand how it came to be, and maybe what Templeman was thinking.

I would rather they never played any of the covers they have put on the records live. I do like hearing other covers though, just as a surprise.

Yours truly, As Is
    Indeed.

I'm not ecstatic about it, but they were rushed and just had a big hit with a cover tune, so I understand how it came to be, and maybe what Templeman was thinking.

I would rather they never played any of the covers they have put on the records live. I do like hearing other covers though, just as a surprise.
    I feel the same, although YRGM was somewhat redeemed on the last leg of the ADKOT tour with the extended jams. But I'd love to see them do surprise covers, like "Heartbreak Hotel" or my personal live fav, "Summertime Blues". Would also love to see them do some classic blues tune. Dave would be great tackling some Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf or John Lee Hooker...

Roadie

yeah I love that 82 interview where Eddie defends and gushes about DD and the songs.
    i've never had a problem w any of it. it is refreshing to here that interview from the time. Instead of years later when everyone was pissed and could use DD as an easy target.

Damn 30 years....

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallonmusic View Post
    Damn 30 years....
    Mallon !!! tumblr_mqd3q08wFD1qd418mo1_1280.jpg
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Band Manager
    I always found Where Have all the Good Times Gone to be far preferable to DitS.
    I always thought that it was the track that deerved more airplay than DitS.
    Where Have all the Good Times Gone is more Van Haleny to my ears.
    I suppose it's because DitS was a bigger hit originally to begin with.

On WHatGTG, Alexs' snare has a nice thwack, and I like some things about Roths vocals - like the inflection he puts on "boyyza!"