Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
    EVH diehard ...

Whammy bars , bridges , D-Tunas ... Oh My !

Here's some questions for the guitar pros ;

Can an original Floyd Rose be swapped onto an Ibanez guitar , in place of the stock lo-pro bridges ? Are the specs and measurements the same ?
    Also , I've read that certain runs of Eddie's D-tuna have been flawed . Only drop a half step in pitch as opposed the a whole step . Any horror stories of your own , and what mods did you make , to get the device to work ?

I have three guitars that have FR style trems .For the life of me , these things won't stay in tune for very long . Doing some dives and abuse is one thing , but I find that performing certain "overbends" with the fret hand , can cause the guitars to go haywire ... LOL

Yes , the strings are stretched out . Yes , the locking nut is tightly secured , and the strings are firmly in place at the bridge saddles .
    WTF ???

Would an original Floyd help cure this , or is there something I'm missing ?
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Giving Dave A Break
    Interesting that you're having problems with tuning. My 2 main electrics both have the same EVH branded Floyd with a D-tuna and I don't have tuning probs. They change with the weather due to the wood moving, but I rarely need to tune twice during a playing session. The D-tuna on the stripe guitar works better than the wolfie, it's slicker to use, but both do the same job. They require a little setup to get right, but it only takes 5mins.

I use 9-46 strings on both.

I think the Ibanez routing and screw position are unique to them. The Ibanez floyd in the premium and prestige models is a great bit of gear and might be the cure to your problems.
    "Iíve got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatíll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Iíve got a lot of spandex, so itís good to have a versatile guitar thatíll go with your spandex.". - Satchel

EVH diehard ...
    Thanks for the reply , Cal !

I've owned a few Wolf guitars and have never had this problem . Same with my main Charvel model 1, that had an aftermarket Schaller Floyd installed .
    My current babies are the budget AX40 guitars by EBMM . I love the look and feel of them , yet the tuning sucks !!! LOL

Even the fine tuning screws on the bridge are really flimsy and the seem to 'slip' a bit . I've also had nothing but headaches when trying to install the D-tuna . This has been on 3 different models of this guitar . I'm wondering if a genuine FR would cure these ailments , or do I unload them and start again ... ?

There are a couple of interesting Ibanez rg350-450 deals in my area , so that's why I posed the question about those guitars . I kind of know what I'm going to do - I was just hoping for some other's insight . Cheers
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Roadie
    Im no expert so im just throwing stuff out there. It could be that the string might be slipping at the nut due to a groove that's indented over time. If its a fairly new nut then I would check that the string is locked really tight at the saddle and not slowly slipping out or conversely starting to unwrap and break; or that the saddle itself isnt slipping. Also, try and not to mix up your nut clamps, as i said before if your E-A clamp has started to get wear moving it to the other strings might cause slippage since the indents are from wider strings.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post
    Im no expert so im just throwing stuff out there. It could be that the string might be slipping at the nut due to a groove that's indented over time. If its a fairly new nut then I would check that the string is locked really tight at the saddle and not slowly slipping out or conversely starting to unwrap and break; or that the saddle itself isnt slipping. Also, try and not to mix up your nut clamps, as i said before if your E-A clamp has started to get wear moving it to the other strings might cause slippage since the indents are from wider strings.
    Thanks . Erick !
    Great advise , man . Not something that many others would think about . These are new guitars though . There's been no time for the locking nut(s) to get that kind of indentation .

What did you mean by "the saddle itself isn't slipping" ?
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Thanks . Erick !
    Great advise , man . Not something that many others would think about . These are new guitars though . There's been no time for the locking nut(s) to get that kind of indentation .

What did you mean by "the saddle itself isn't slipping" ?
    the saddles are held down by the intonation screws, so if those arent tight its possible for the saddle to slip once the string is under tension. although if it does slip it would be very quick and bump into the screw (if there's a slight gap). It happened to me once, it sounded like something broke and i though i snapped something on the floyd.

If the guitars are new and the FRs are new and you're losing tuning on bends and you're sure everything is tightly clamped and nothing is moving/slipping, then maybe the strings havent fully been stretch out or you got a bad batch of strings.

Band Manager
    I'd try a genuine FR if it persists.
    Don't know about the higher end guitars but the Ibanez I recently gave to my bro didn't look like it would fit a FR.Looked like it would need some more routing.

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post
    the saddles are held down by the intonation screws, so if those arent tight its possible for the saddle to slip once the string is under tension. although if it does slip it would be very quick and bump into the screw (if there's a slight gap). It happened to me once, it sounded like something broke and i though i snapped something on the floyd.

If the guitars are new and the FRs are new and you're losing tuning on bends and you're sure everything is tightly clamped and nothing is moving/slipping, then maybe the strings havent fully been stretch out or you got a bad batch of strings.
    Right on . Thanks for the info and tips . I'll try and check some of those things you mentioned . Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I'd try a genuine FR if it persists.
    Don't know about the higher end guitars but the Ibanez I recently gave to my bro didn't look like it would fit a FR.Looked like it would need some more routing.
    Funny , I thought that the Ibanez bridges needed a bigger rout than a regular FR . Hmm .
    Thanks , PoP .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    Funny , I thought that the Ibanez bridges needed a bigger rout than a regular FR . Hmm .
    Thanks , PoP .
    Well,remember I had a shitty one.
    Mine didn't have a locking trem so there was no fine tunning,thus making it smaller.I'm sure the good ones have more routing.

EVH diehard ...
    Yeah , it's been a while since I've putzed around with an Ibanez . I have been looking at the RG350 and RG450 series' online . The prices are very reasonable . I'm seriously scouting a lot of Charvel models too . I always liked those guitars , and the new Pro Mod series look to be fantastic .
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."