Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
DAVID LEE ROTH ☠ Audio INTERVIEWS w/ Lisa Robinson - Page 2
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Man, I don't know why but I had the urge to listen to this interview again. Lisa really hit some deep questions that brings out a different, unknown Dave. She doesn't ask "So what's your favorite record these days" but "why do you make fun of yourself so much?". We don't get those kind of questions anymore in interviews. It's a breath of fresh air- from the 80s!

He's got this (pardon the oxymoron) jovial stoic way of life. He realizes that he's this big icon in rock and he makes himself to be the big shot of the world, so he complements it with jokes that somewhat belittle himself. The way he looks at himself: as a merchant of entertainment that is so hell bent on ruling the world with his music is a pompous thing to hear from an outside listener, but he has this lonely, extrovert person inside him that feeds off the crowd. To me it'd be pompous to think about ruling the world and not giving a shit, but it's a whole different story to hear him be ANXIOUS if people are going to enjoy what he has brought to the table. He's not like some snobby French gourmet chef that knows he stuff will be 5 star no matter what; Dave actually cares what the people think.

That's why Diamond Dave is one of the greatest frontmen, an idol to me, and one of the greatest entertainers in music history.

Yeah, Yeah !!!! Wicked post man.

Keep in mind, his influences were far different than many of the other rockers that we listen to. The era he grew up in most likely contributed to his charactor, ( as you all already know from the interviews and books ).

His showbiz schtick is very common amongst jewish comedians, and entertainers. But no one actually applied that to rock music as much as he did. A large portion of the audience may not of fully understood the magnitude of his brilliance at that time.

Something as simple as stopping the show in the middle of the first song, and saying, " I forgot the fuckin' words ", is in itself a bold manipulation of sorts to instigate a rowdy demeanor between the audience and band that sets the tone for the evening. It is the sort of thing people remember and talk about afterwards.

Dave is no ordinary guy though. There are so many layers going on. You can tell by these older interviews, he hasn't really changed that much. He always had that down to earth regular guy side to him, which you can still see nowdays with the podcasts and Roth Shows.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, Yeah !!!! Wicked post man.

Keep in mind, his influences were far different than many of the other rockers that we listen to. The era he grew up in most likely contributed to his charactor, ( as you all already know from the interviews and books ).

His showbiz schtick is very common amongst jewish comedians, and entertainers. But no one actually applied that to rock music as much as he did. A large portion of the audience may not of fully understood the magnitude of his brilliance at that time.

Something as simple as stopping the show in the middle of the first song, and saying, " I forgot the fuckin' words ", is in itself a bold manipulation of sorts to instigate a rowdy demeanor between the audience and band that sets the tone for the evening. It is the sort of thing people remember and talk about afterwards.

Dave is no ordinary guy though. There are so many layers going on. You can tell by these older interviews, he hasn't really changed that much. He always had that down to earth regular guy side to him, which you can still see nowdays with the podcasts and Roth Shows.
    It always mystifies me when I see supposedly die hard fans, complaining about Roth "forgetting the words". It's typically Van Hagar fans, and I just think "these people aren't tuned in to Roth at all". Fucking nerds. I realize he uses it to cover his tracks sometimes, but it's so obvious that it's designed to give the impression that he is trashed, or so caught up in the excitement that he has lost his place...that's the whole idea of a Van Halen show, to get lost in the moment!

Dance Baby!
    Thanks for posting that 1234!

Very cool stuff. Dave gives off the impression that everything he does is just off the cuff. Yet, that is so far from the truth.

The guy is deep. Yet, how deep do you really NEED to be in rock n roll? Dave knows this.

BTW, 1234 that avatar is smoking! It's like looking into the sun. That ass has seared my vision.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Thanks for posting that 1234!

Very cool stuff. Dave gives off the impression that everything he does is just off the cuff. Yet, that is so far from the truth.

The guy is deep. Yet, how deep do you really NEED to be in rock n roll? Dave knows this.

BTW, 1234 that avatar is smoking! It's like looking into the sun. That ass has seared my vision.
    Thanks, mine too! I'll let her know...

Band Manager
    She'd also make a good bicycle rack.

Band Manager
    EDIT: This post is in reply to the above post #12 from 1234 Over. I forgot to click the proper spot.

The show I saw in '82, I vividly recall him switch one of the lines in " Secrets ".

During the part, " owe, owe, owe, she got rhythm.....got that rythm...of the road....etc, etc, ....at the end of whichever verse, he said " she gives good head ".

I checked numerous '82 and '83 bootlegs to see if I could find him saying that line in the song at another show, but havent found one yet. I was young, clean and sober at that show and remember it vividly. I like it when they switch things up a little bit.

We know most of the shows were tightly scripted to give the impression of being impulsive one liners off the top off his head, but occaisionally, there were real improvisations from night to night.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; February 14th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    She'd also make a good bicycle rack.
    Not quite sure what that means, but I'm afraid to ask.