Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
DAVID LEE ROTH ☠ Audio INTERVIEWS w/ Lisa Robinson
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Band Manager

DAVID LEE ROTH ☠ Audio INTERVIEWS w/ Lisa Robinson

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's great!

Only a little tardy
    Wow. This is an amazing interview. I've always wanted to sit down and chat with Dave, now even more so.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Wow. This is an amazing interview. I've always wanted to sit down and chat with Dave, now even more so.
    Innit though?
    She actually challenges his answers, and it makes him dig deeper. I had seen the video for this, but it was edited a bit, so it was cool to hear more.

The same person posted this, which I had seen before but is still interesting. Roth is really charming this woman. His intelligence and humor take her by surprise. He was making headway into straight, mainstream media around then, appearing on overnight news programs.

My favorite line from her... "What is it with you and blowin' people's minds?"

Last edited by 1234over; February 13th, 2014 at 02:08 AM.

Only a little tardy
    These interviews seem to humanize him, making him more than just a rockstar that most people would associate with him. He has a bright and witty mind, but Lisa really went deeper and I love that. Nowadays, we have crappy interviews that seem to not really get any info out.

Band Manager
    " Van Halen is Lobotomy Rock for quaalude induced morons. "

I love it. I remember most of the critics were always slamming them like that. I suspect it had more to do with the audience and bombastic volume of the live shows, as well as the image and stance, but Dave was right. You have to look at who is saying what.

I hadn't seen that one before. I like the host, Felicia. She was quite pleasant and affable. Dave can charm almost anyone if he wants to.

Notice Dave's answer when she mentions you can't keep jumping around forever. Heh, Heh.

NOW, it made me wonder about something I hadn't thought of before. There is not much in the Pretty Woman video to really justify it being banned. MTV did play it for a while. I don't know how long, but I suspect at least a month or so. I wonder if it was DLR's idea to have it banned. It could of been a sneaky way of gaining even more exposure. Maybe I'm off base with this, and probably am. But it was a relatively cheap video, kind of stupid, it may of ran it's course before being banned, then gained them even more exposure and notoriety from the controversial media attention of having their video banned.

Keep in mind, this was back before many artists like Madonna and 2 Live Crew would purposely push the envelope with their videos as a cheap weasily way of promoting themselves. In '82, when Pretty Woman came out, I don't recall much hype or attention of any videos being banned.

Could be Dave was way ahead of the curve, and non chalantly pulled a fast one on everybody.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    " Van Halen is Lobotomy Rock for quaalude induced morons. "

I love it. I remember most of the critics were always slamming them like that. I suspect it had more to do with the audience and bombastic volume of the live shows, as well as the image and stance, but Dave was right. You have to look at who is saying what.

I hadn't seen that one before. I like the host, Felicia. She was quite pleasant and affable. Dave can charm almost anyone if he wants to.

Notice Dave's answer when she mentions you can't keep jumping around forever. Heh, Heh.

NOW, it made me wonder about something I hadn't thought of before. There is not much in the Pretty Woman video to really justify it being banned. MTV did play it for a while. I don't know how long, but I suspect at least a month or so. I wonder if it was DLR's idea to have it banned. It could of been a sneaky way of gaining even more exposure. Maybe I'm off base with this, and probably am. But it was a relatively cheap video, kind of stupid, it may of ran it's course before being banned, then gained them even more exposure and notoriety from the controversial media attention of having their video banned.

Keep in mind, this was back before many artists like Madonna and 2 Live Crew would purposely push the envelope with their videos as a cheap weasily way of promoting themselves. In '82, when Pretty Woman came out, I don't recall much hype or attention of any videos being banned.

Could be Dave was way ahead of the curve, and non chalantly pulled a fast one on everybody.
    Yep, I have always suspected that too. Roth was always exaggerating, and positioning VH as a "threat to the youth". Now and then in interviews he would mention some kind of overreaction to VH from parents groups "or what have you", and I would think "nah he is making that up". Does anybody really think the cover of "1984" was controversial? Ha, only because Roth said so, and now in many historical reviews it's referred to as "a controversial cover featuring a smoking baby". No one cared, really.

The thing about Roth is that we fans already know how smart he is, and we are in on the joke. We got to laugh at the media along with DLR, winking at us as he smooth talks, or outrages the straights.
    Last edited by 1234over; February 13th, 2014 at 02:20 AM.

Only a little tardy
    Man, I don't know why but I had the urge to listen to this interview again. Lisa really hit some deep questions that brings out a different, unknown Dave. She doesn't ask "So what's your favorite record these days" but "why do you make fun of yourself so much?". We don't get those kind of questions anymore in interviews. It's a breath of fresh air- from the 80s!

He's got this (pardon the oxymoron) jovial stoic way of life. He realizes that he's this big icon in rock and he makes himself to be the big shot of the world, so he complements it with jokes that somewhat belittle himself. The way he looks at himself: as a merchant of entertainment that is so hell bent on ruling the world with his music is a pompous thing to hear from an outside listener, but he has this lonely, extrovert person inside him that feeds off the crowd. To me it'd be pompous to think about ruling the world and not giving a shit, but it's a whole different story to hear him be ANXIOUS if people are going to enjoy what he has brought to the table. He's not like some snobby French gourmet chef that knows he stuff will be 5 star no matter what; Dave actually cares what the people think.

That's why Diamond Dave is one of the greatest frontmen, an idol to me, and one of the greatest entertainers in music history.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    Man, I don't know why but I had the urge to listen to this interview again. Lisa really hit some deep questions that brings out a different, unknown Dave. She doesn't ask "So what's your favorite record these days" but "why do you make fun of yourself so much?". We don't get those kind of questions anymore in interviews. It's a breath of fresh air- from the 80s!

He's got this (pardon the oxymoron) jovial stoic way of life. He realizes that he's this big icon in rock and he makes himself to be the big shot of the world, so he complements it with jokes that somewhat belittle himself. The way he looks at himself: as a merchant of entertainment that is so hell bent on ruling the world with his music is a pompous thing to hear from an outside listener, but he has this lonely, extrovert person inside him that feeds off the crowd. To me it'd be pompous to think about ruling the world and not giving a shit, but it's a whole different story to hear him be ANXIOUS if people are going to enjoy what he has brought to the table. He's not like some snobby French gourmet chef that knows he stuff will be 5 star no matter what; Dave actually cares what the people think.

That's why Diamond Dave is one of the greatest frontmen, an idol to me, and one of the greatest entertainers in music history.
    Yeah, he really does. This interview provoked a few thoughts about Roth from me. I have to organize, and mull them over a bit, or they will sound silly or unclear. I'm always trying to figure out what I find so interesting and relatable about DLR, and these made me consider a few different aspects about that.

Only a little tardy
    I think that's why I had to listen to it twice. This time with all attention and a beer to drink. He's got some really interesting things to say about himself and the reason he is...well, Dave.

Giving Dave A Break
    They're both great interviews, love some of that old footage with the first one. Dave is the true showman, like he says, as soon as he steps out of the room.
    "Ive got a white Kramer Pacer, and that just goes with every outfit. Thatll go with my purple spandex, my zebra spandex, everything. And Ive got a lot of spandex, so its good to have a versatile guitar thatll go with your spandex.". - Satchel