Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Forget Ed's revolutionary use of tapping for a sec...
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Roadie

Forget Ed's revolutionary use of tapping for a sec...

His use of the pick slide as a weapon should also be praised. Dont know how many see them as an afterthought but It's as much a part of his playing as harmonics, his pyrotechnic fills and the tapping; im guessing 99% of the 6-pack tracks has a pick slide in there. Much like the tapping thing, cant really know for sure who or what inspired him to add these to his bag of tricks. The harmonics you could probably trace to someone like Billy Gibbons.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Eddie created the supreme pick slide, by backing the actual pick slide with the finger/hand, muting & sliding,
    behind the right hand.

Before that, most people did the pick slide with just the right hand sliding the pick, and the left hand off the neck.
    The result was a cacophony of horrible, chaotic noise (listen to Angus Young's horrible pick slides).

But Eddie, using the palm to mute and follow, created a streamlined/jet plane, pick slide.
    It went "Whooooooooooooosh" instead of "screech!"

No cheer******s allowed!
    Eddie might also do a small pick slide, while muffling the strings high up the neck & sliding the pick
    over the pickups (end of Bottom's Up!)

Some favorite pick slides:

Take your whiskey home

Sinners Swing! (The echo slide, more a dual hand movement, going upward)

In a simple rhyme

Bottom's up!

Hang 'em high!

Panama

Mean street

Roadie
    Eddie's pickslides in the first album were absolutely amazing!!! all his pickslides were amazing but that first album was just stunning

I also have tried to nail the pickslides like he does but I can never quiet get them right. As you said you cant just go rippin at em cause they sound like ass but with the right technique and muting they can sound good. I know in 5150 on Summer Nights when Ed was playing that on the Steinberger they always sounded fantastic too. But on VH1 on YRGM, On Fire and I'm the One they are just insane.

Rob

Git some!
    Let's include his other techniques:

Three string pull offs

Tremolo picking

Wide stretches

Tap harmonics

And whatever the fuck you call what he does at the beginning of Mean Street. Slap guitar?
    Ready, Eddie!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by vhrob View Post
    Eddie's pickslides in the first album were absolutely amazing!!! all his pickslides were amazing but that first album was just stunning

I also have tried to nail the pickslides like he does but I can never quiet get them right. As you said you cant just go rippin at em cause they sound like ass but with the right technique and muting they can sound good. I know in 5150 on Summer Nights when Ed was playing that on the Steinberger they always sounded fantastic too. But on VH1 on YRGM, On Fire and I'm the One they are just insane.

Rob
    Agreed 100% !

The first album had tons of great stuff , like you guys have mentioned . I'll add the cool effect in "Ice Cream Man" , where Eddie uses the edge of the pick to repeatedly slur the notes , while his left hand does a trill . Highlighted with the Phase 90 - the sound is wild !

Good call on "Summer Nights" , bro . I've always thought that song had some of Ed's best tricks . The pick slides amongst the main chords are perfect ! The solo also has one of the most aggressive pinch harmonics , too . I've always loved that song .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Let's include his other techniques:

Three string pull offs

Tremolo picking

Wide stretches

Tap harmonics

And whatever the fuck you call what he does at the beginning of Mean Street. Slap guitar?
    You forgot a big one:

The sliding palm harmonics, which is first heard on VHII (YNG & Doctor).
    That cascading effect is the coolest sound ever, imo!

EVH diehard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickC View Post
    His use of the pick slide as a weapon should also be praised. Dont know how many see them as an afterthought but It's as much a part of his playing as harmonics, his pyrotechnic fills and the tapping; im guessing 99% of the 6-pack tracks has a pick slide in there. Much like the tapping thing, cant really know for sure who or what inspired him to add these to his bag of tricks. The harmonics you could probably trace to someone like Billy Gibbons.
    I totally agree about the Billy Gibbons angle . There's a lot of Ace Frehley influence there too , IMO .
    Curt Mitchel's dvd tutorial has a really good demonstration on how Eddie made his pick slides sound so cool .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

I know the law, friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    You forgot a big one:

The sliding palm harmonics, which is first heard on VHII (YNG & Doctor).
    That cascading effect is the coolest sound ever, imo!
    This!!! I love this effect. I remember when I first learned how to do it.................I was blown away, by both the amazing sound and the relative easiness of it. That's one of the things I love about Eddie............he's all about the sound, not about how technical the trick is. It can be incredibly insane to perform, or ridiculously easy to perform, if it sounds cool he'll use it! Love that about him. He's all about the music.
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister."
    -David Lee Roth-

Roadie
    boy you guys are so right on the money with that. That cascading note harmonic thing is awesome. I have a video on youtube where I do a little thing on that. It is sooooo darn easy but your right, sounds cool as hell.

Ed always surprised me over the years. Some of the things you'd think are so easy to do are insanlly hard like the intro to HEH always gave me trouble. But other things like that are so easy to pull off. He is true to his word, if it sounds good, it is good and he will use anything that sounds how he wants it.

He is the master at making all kinds of little sounds work.

Rob