Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkinrobbievh1 View Post
    I also thought Eddie used the Phase 90 for more than just the A-G-D chord hits ! That's normally where I would kick it on too , and leave it engaged for the rest of the piece .
    To me , the entire solo sounds 'sleazier' with the MXR effect turned on .

PoP , have you ever checked out that Curt Mitchel dvd , ala EVH's style and tone ? It's well worth a watch IMO . Any-hooo , Curt has a knack for Eddie's stuff . He explains how some basic pedals , placed in front of the amp - signal wise , can help sculpt the "Eruption" tone . He says the Phase 90 should go after the delay ;

Guitar > Delay > Phase 90 > Marshall amp . For example ...
    Ahhh,Phase starts at the A chord.I thought it was thru the whole tune but wasn't sure.I'm using it with my multi unit,along with reverb,delay,and the Marshall settings.It sounds decent when ya start the second section but doesn't sound great for the rest of it.I need to get a Phase 90...and a bunch of others.
    The Phaser on my unit is patterened after the Phase 90,and doesn't sound that bad,but not close enough.I'm guessing it would be more important to have an actual Marshall than it would be to have the real Phase 90.
    Thanks for the dvd info,Robbie.Once I get some of this gear I will definitely check it out.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Ahhh,Phase starts at the A chord.I thought it was thru the whole tune but wasn't sure.I'm using it with my multi unit,along with reverb,delay,and the Marshall settings.It sounds decent when ya start the second section but doesn't sound great for the rest of it.I need to get a Phase 90...and a bunch of others.
    The Phaser on my unit is patterened after the Phase 90,and doesn't sound that bad,but not close enough.I'm guessing it would be more important to have an actual Marshall than it would be to have the real Phase 90.
    Thanks for the dvd info,Robbie.Once I get some of this gear I will definitely check it out.
    Actually you may not necessarily need a Marshall. My clip was recorded with an original vintage MXR Phase 90, a vintage Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer into my old 4210 Marshall JCM800 combo. Later on I had this same Marshall modded by Mark "Rockstah" Abrahamian, but that was long after I made that clip. Now I can get much closer to the album tone. But for the purposes of learning, you might do well with what you have already.

Just remember to turn on your Phaser when you strike the A chord and then leave it on for the rest if the tune. As I said, I made the mistake of leaving my Phase 90 on for the entire tune.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Actually you may not necessarily need a Marshall. My clip was recorded with an original vintage MXR Phase 90, a vintage Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer into my old 4210 Marshall JCM800 combo. Later on I had this same Marshall modded by Mark "Rockstah" Abrahamian, but that was long after I made that clip. Now I can get much closer to the album tone. But for the purposes of learning, you might do well with what you have already.

Just remember to turn on your Phaser when you strike the A chord and then leave it on for the rest if the tune. As I said, I made the mistake of leaving my Phase 90 on for the entire tune.
    That's good,since I won't be affording a Marshall for awhile.I have a twenty watt Peavey right now to practice on.
    Is the tube screamer helping with distortion? I'm just using the gain from my my amp,or multi unit when using headphones.Is Ed using distortion or overdrive? I didn't think he was.I hope not cuz it doesn't sound good when I use distortion with the Marshall setting.I can use it with some other amps like Vox or Fender, but Marshalls,Mesa....stuff like that it's just too noisy.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    That's good,since I won't be affording a Marshall for awhile.I have a twenty watt Peavey right now to practice on.
    Is the tube screamer helping with distortion? I'm just using the gain from my my amp,or multi unit when using headphones.Is Ed using distortion or overdrive? I didn't think he was.I hope not cuz it doesn't sound good when I use distortion with the Marshall setting.I can use it with some other amps like Vox or Fender, but Marshalls,Mesa....stuff like that it's just too noisy.
    I won't go down all the theories about Ed's gear, but the generally accepted wisdom is that he never used any distortion pedals...well except for once during the F.U.C.K. period. Honestly when I was a kid of around 12-13 I used a small Peavey Audition 20 (a very small amp) to practice with and I even used it in band practice.

The amp and effects are not important as you are learning to play any piece. In fact, I rarely plug in when I'm practicing. I play electric guitars unplugged until I get the parts correct, then as a treat I might plug in and play through the amp once I've got it down. My "Eruption" clip that I posted was only made so that I could show off the tuning stability I achieved with my standard Fender tremolo. I only plugged in to make that clip for that reason. I've got a ton of gear, but I really only use it when I play out or if I'm making a demo clip for YouTube. When I'm practicing or learning a new piece I'll play unplugged electric guitars or acoustics.

This is just a suggestion based on my experience, but this has really served me well. Without the sustain, distortion and effects to hide behind, you get forced to really learn how to play whatever piece you are working on. Ed has said many times in interviews that this is how he practices as well and it turned out pretty good for him!

EVH diehard ...
    That's really good advice , and it's also how I practice 9/10 of the time . Doing legato stuff without an amp will really help your strength and muscle memory IMO .
    Plugging in and wailing is like a treat or reward after putting in the work !
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Git some!
    Actually, I think I have to disagree. Playing unplugged and plugged are two different things. I probably sound as clean and precise and Yngwie when I'm unplugged, I can probably do legato with ease. But add effects and distortion and things turn out very different. You have to compensate for dirty notes and ringing, unlike being unplugged where you are not as restricted. So, yeah, I usually practice half the time unplugged, but it doesn't count for shit if that's the only way you do it. Practice how you play. If you play dirty, practice dirty. I do practice unplugged for the muscle memory, but it's that last bastion with being plugged in is where it counts, IMO.

then again, what thefuck do I know
    Ready, Eddie!

Band Manager
    I won't go down all the theories about Ed's gear, but the generally accepted wisdom is that he never used any distortion pedals...well except for once during the F.U.C.K. period. Honestly when I was a kid of around 12-13 I used a small Peavey Audition 20 (a very small amp) to practice with and I even used it in band practice.

The amp and effects are not important as you are learning to play any piece. In fact, I rarely plug in when I'm practicing. I play electric guitars unplugged until I get the parts correct, then as a treat I might plug in and play through the amp once I've got it down. My "Eruption" clip that I posted was only made so that I could show off the tuning stability I achieved with my standard Fender tremolo. I only plugged in to make that clip for that reason. I've got a ton of gear, but I really only use it when I play out or if I'm making a demo clip for YouTube. When I'm practicing or learning a new piece I'll play unplugged electric guitars or acoustics.

This is just a suggestion based on my experience, but this has really served me well. Without the sustain, distortion and effects to hide behind, you get forced to really learn how to play whatever piece you are working on. Ed has said many times in interviews that this is how he practices as well and it turned out pretty good for him!
    Thanks for taking the time,garbeaj.
    Like you and Robbie,I hardly ever plug in either.There's no sense amplifying stuff ya can't play yet.Once or twice a week I'll plug in and jam out for a bit.Actually,last night I plugged in for an hour.I've had this effects pedal for three months but wasn't able to play til recently,because of my injury.Thus,I haven't even begun to realize what this pedal can do.When you mentioned the Tube Screamer that reminded me, I've got one on their I haven't used yet (haven't used hardly anything really).I never used a TS before,it sounds pretty good with the Marshall,even without it it's cool.Gonna have to get one down the road.Of course I had to make a patch.It sounds good when combined with the Marshall,Phaser and delay,too....in the Ed ballpark.It goes to hell when I add the reverb,though.

Funny you mention acoustic,I just got my electric three months ago (which I've only played about a month) but I'm dying to play some acoustic stuff.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Actually, I think I have to disagree. Playing unplugged and plugged are two different things. I probably sound as clean and precise and Yngwie when I'm unplugged, I can probably do legato with ease. But add effects and distortion and things turn out very different. You have to compensate for dirty notes and ringing, unlike being unplugged where you are not as restricted. So, yeah, I usually practice half the time unplugged, but it doesn't count for shit if that's the only way you do it. Practice how you play. If you play dirty, practice dirty. I do practice unplugged for the muscle memory, but it's that last bastion with being plugged in is where it counts, IMO.

then again, what thefuck do I know
    I agree that what works for me may not work for someone else. But in my personal experience I have no such problems when I play through a very loud and distorted set up after practicing unplugged. I make sure I don't leave any open strings vibrating when I practice unplugged so when I plug in and crank it up I have no problems. That's just how I practice...I play what I'm working on slowly...so slowly that I make no mistakes-and that includes bumping into open strings. I watch my muting carefully and play so slow that I can't make a mistake. Then I very gradually increase the speed, all the while making sure I am playing whatever I'm working on correctly. I keep this process going for however long it takes until I am up to the correct speed. It may take weeks, months or even years to get one lick right, but if that's what it takes, then that's what I do.

In my experience, distortion and sustain are a mask and I think Eddie understood this from the beginning. This is part of why he practiced unplugged as he said. If I can play correctly and up to speed without mistakes (which includes bumping into open strings and hitting any other unintended notes or noises) when the guitar is unplugged, then for me personally, I can play plugged in with distortion with incredible ease. I also practice and play acoustic guitars a lot too. In fact, when I was 14 I learned "Spanish Fly" on my Ovation steel string acoustic before I first learned all of "Eruption". By the time I got "Spanish Fly" down, "Eruption" was relatively easy. "Spanish Fly" requires a lot more hand strength, picking precision and speed than "Eruption" so I know that I benefitted a lot from learning the pieces in that order, especially from learning "Spanish Fly" on an acoustic and then going to "Eruption" on an electric.

Git some!
    I agree that what works for me may not work for someone else. But in my personal experience I have no such problems when I play through a very loud and distorted set up after practicing unplugged. I make sure I don't leave any open strings vibrating when I practice unplugged so when I plug in and crank it up I have no problems. That's just how I practice...I play what I'm working on slowly...so slowly that I make no mistakes-and that includes bumping into open strings. I watch my muting carefully and play so slow that I can't make a mistake. Then I very gradually increase the speed, all the while making sure I am playing whatever I'm working on correctly. I keep this process going for however long it takes until I am up to the correct speed. It may take weeks, months or even years to get one lick right, but if that's what it takes, then that's what I do.

In my experience, distortion and sustain are a mask and I think Eddie understood this from the beginning. This is part of why he practiced unplugged as he said. If I can play correctly and up to speed without mistakes (which includes bumping into open strings and hitting any other unintended notes or noises) when the guitar is unplugged, then for me personally, I can play plugged in with distortion with incredible ease. I also practice and play acoustic guitars a lot too. In fact, when I was 14 I learned "Spanish Fly" on my Ovation steel string acoustic before I first learned all of "Eruption". By the time I got "Spanish Fly" down, "Eruption" was relatively easy. "Spanish Fly" requires a lot more hand strength, picking precision and speed than "Eruption" so I know that I benefitted a lot from learning the pieces in that order, especially from learning "Spanish Fly" on an acoustic and then going to "Eruption" on an electric.
    Actually, I think in a lot of cases the dist can amplify the mistakes if you're not careful. But yeah, I think I do agree. I spend a lot of time unplugged, because I like to have my guitar at my computer sometimes when I'm learning something, but then I go and practice the same stuff plugged in. I think I also need to start practicing standing up, as I can nail a lot of licks sitting down but standing up...not so much.

Well, if you learned SF on a steel string, then I think your hands could take on anything.
    Ready, Eddie!

Giving Dave A Break
    I think either way compromises different things. Learning to mute with high gain is a technique in itself. Try using a tone similar to Vai's, it's hard to stop it sounding like shit. As soon as you take your hands off the strings it goes fuckin mental with feedback and noise.

I play standing up 99% of the time, unless i'm noodling unplugged in front of the TV, picking up cheesy melodies from the ads. I like to rock out a bit when i'm playing, sometimes at the expense of my playing, but i'm enjoying myself, so I don't care. Although recently, recording alot, I sometimes find myself sitting coz it's easier to operate the pooter and play.

I completely understand both sides, playing clean is really good for learning clean technique, but fuck I love turning everything up and rocking out.