Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_postbit.php on line 1033
Billy Sheehan on VH - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    I recently ran across parts of the book "Bang Your Head:The Rise and fall of Heavy Metal" that contains an interview with Sheehan, here http://books.google.com/books?id=ZyB...20tour&f=false .

    I have no reason not to believe what he says in the interview, though in the past the story was different. (I can't copy it directly).

    He says that Talas had just signed to do a tour with Wedgey Marmstoon that was to start in LA. Roth's office called him, and told him that DLR wanted to see Sheehan as soon as he arrived in LA.

    The day before Sheehan left for LA, he called EVH, told him he was coming to LA, and invited him to a show at the Palladium. EVH said he would try to make it, and then Sheehan mentioned that Roth had called him..."what, you're kidding...Okay, I gotta tell you...don't tell anybody okay?....we fired the fucker". He asked Sheehan to call him after he meets up with Roth "we wanna know what he is doing now".

    Then Sheehan says that though they announced that Roth had quit, he thinks..."they changed it because they figured they'd lose face with their fans if they said he was fired. But then again, maybe he did quit. Who knows, the truth lies somewhere in between in situations like that".

    When Sheehan met up with DLR, Roth told him he had quit Van Halen, and wanted Sheehan to be in a new band with him. Sheehan figured it would be a betrayal to Roth if he called EVH back and told him what was up, so he never called.
    Last edited by 1234over; October 19th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

  2. #22
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I recently ran across parts of the book "Bang Your Head:The Rise and fall of Heavy Metal" that contains an interview with Sheehan, here http://books.google.com/books?id=ZyB...20tour&f=false .

    I have no reason not to believe what he says in the interview, though in the past the story was different. (I can't copy it directly).

    He says that Talas had just signed to do a tour with Wedgey Marmstoon that was to start in LA. Roth's office called him, and told him that DLR wanted to see Sheehan as soon as he arrived in LA.

    The day before Sheehan left for LA, he called EVH, told him he was coming to LA, and invited him to a show at the Palladium. EVH said he would try to make it, and then Sheehan mentioned that Roth had called him..."what, you're kidding...Okay, I gotta tell you...don't tell anybody okay?....we fired the fucker". He asked Sheehan to call him after he meets up with Roth "we wanna know what he is doing now".

    Then Sheehan says that though they announced that Roth had quit, he thinks..."they changed it because they figured they'd lose face with their fans if they said he was fired. But then again, maybe he did quit. Who knows, the truth lies somewhere in between in situations like that".

    When Sheehan met up with DLR, Roth told him he had quit Van Halen, and wanted Sheehan to be in a new band with him. Sheehan figured it would be a betrayal to Roth if he called EVH back and told him what was up, so he never called.
    I read that book ages ago & loved it!

    I remember thinking, "man, they were playing some head games with each other."
    Roth seemed a bit more straight forward though, and Ed seemed like the jilted lover.
    In a way, Ed was pulling a "Sammy" back then, kinda doing what Sammy is doing right now,
    with his endless VH references.

  3. #23
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I read that book ages ago & loved it!

    I remember thinking, "man, they were playing some head games with each other."
    Roth seemed a bit more straight forward though, and Ed seemed like the jilted lover.
    In a way, Ed was pulling a "Sammy" back then, kinda doing what Sammy is doing right now,
    with his endless VH references.
    It's interesting because so many EVH fans INSIST that Roth quit. And it's just thrown out there in biographies of the band "...then singer David Lee Roth left the band in an ill-fated attempt to become a movie star". It's written like that in virtually every band history I see.

    It obviously wasn't that simple.

  4. #24
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    It's interesting because so many EVH fans INSIST that Roth quit. And it's just thrown out there in biographies of the band "...then singer David Lee Roth left the band in an ill-fated attempt to become a movie star". It's written like that in virtually every band history I see.

    It obviously wasn't that simple.
    Well, i d believe he quit.

    Roth was riding high with that ep & he was all over MTV with the accompanying vids.
    Roth's ego was probably just massive, by that point.
    I'm sure he thought, "Who needs them, i can do this on my own!"
    And i'm sure Eddie wasn't really helping matters either, as he seemed a bit non
    communicative & introverted, during that time.

    But Ed did seem genuinely hurt when Roth said, "See ya!"
    You can see that in the MTV bio thing they did with Sammy, and of course, in print
    around that period.

  5. #25
    Love ya moms......
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,006
    We worked on what was to be the next VH album early in 85. There were constant delays and screaming. It sounded like a sack of sick cats. And that's what rehearsal was like. That's what trying to write the songs was like. Somewhere around March it came to a head, I wanted to play live they did not particularly Alex. He wanted to play half a dozen stadium shows keep it low key. I cant even begin to say hello in 6 shows. Im the guy that always had the band rehearsing 2 months before going out on the road. So we went our separate ways. My contingency being well I have a script-had not shopped it to a company yet. I certainly didn't have a band or any musicians to deal with. My original being, well we will do the movie and then have VH do the music what a 1-2 punch. This was not to be. I had to scurry around and come up with a band players like SV, BS and GB.
    My other choice was to commit poetic felonies wind up doing melancholy power ballads. No way. The chemistry had turned rotten. So where do you go? Ed and I hugged each other and cried at my fathers house. I said Ed your brother is up to 2 six packs a day. Maybe if we can get ourselves square we can reconvene and I would love nothing more then that. I don't think he understood. We went our own ways.
    I began to pursue the movie as well as putting together a new band something that I frankly dreaded. Not for a second did I think I could easily replace the signature sound of VH. But I don't believe I had any real choice. If nothing else this was a jarring force that woke everyone up including the Van Halens.
    Taken from pages 266-67 DLR Crazy from the heat paperback.

  6. #26
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Honestly, this is the crux of the biscuit. The point in the story that is the most intense.

    If Roth says "I am going to do this, with or without you" and Ed says " we aren't doing it", is Roth quitting, or is he being fired?

    It's not that I don't think Roth was an egomaniac (or EVH, for that matter), but I think it is different than quitting a band. It sounds like EVH considered it them firing Roth.

  7. #27
    Git some!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Posts
    8,459
    Kind of semantics, isn't it? Sort of begs the question of who was at fault I think. I think the band was just tired of everything and Dave wanted to keep going and get his superstardom.
    Ready, Eddie!

  8. #28
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    305
    I think Michael Anthony will be the only reliable source on what really happened.

    I'm still waiting for him to release his autobiography. And before anyone chimes in, the Van Halen's will not be able to stop him writing or releasing it, just like they couldn't stop Sammy releasing his book.

  9. #29
    No cheer******s allowed!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    28,415
    Chapter seven: Fair Warning

    I have no recollection of how that album was made, but i do remember
    adding a wing to my house and vacationing in Maui with Sue.
    A month later, we were back on the road, and i didn't know what the hell
    these new song's were.

  10. #30
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by MEZRO View Post
    I think Michael Anthony will be the only reliable source on what really happened.

    I'm still waiting for him to release his autobiography. And before anyone chimes in, the Van Halen's will not be able to stop him writing or releasing it, just like they couldn't stop Sammy releasing his book.
    I don't consider MA impartial, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know what the conversations between EVH and Roth were like, and what really happened. EVH could have told him anything he wanted.

    Sheehan is pretty straightforward, and has remained friends with both sides of the split. I'm not claiming he knows, but I believe that he is truthfully telling what his conversations were.
    Last edited by 1234over; October 20th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Billy Sheehan Discusses Mike
    By i1sum2! in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: June 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
  2. BILLY SHEEHAN Does Liner Notes To DLR Tribute
    By ryanpday in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM
  3. BILLY SHEEHAN: 'The Lift' Video Posted Online
    By ryanpday in forum House of Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 30th, 2005, 02:04 PM
  4. Drool-worthy Billy Sheehan news...
    By Guitarfreak in forum House of Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 28th, 2002, 10:29 PM
  5. Billy Sheehan on an EEAS reunion
    By Guitarfreak in forum House of Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2001, 11:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •