Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
WARNING: Classicvanhalen.com has been hacked. - Page 3
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yours truly, As Is
    Glad to see this place back online. Thanks, Freak!
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    It was a dumbass hacker that takes down vBulletin boards that haven't upgraded their software.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/51...s-software.htm

35,000 Websites Hacked Using Vulnerability in vBulletin Forum Software

Despite warnings from company behind vBulletin, tens of thousands of websites using the software have been hacked.

vBulletin is the fourth most popular content management system (CMS) on the internet with over 100,000 websites powered by its software, but a weakness in its security has seen hackers exploit tens of thousands of these websites using easily available and automated exploit tools to add administrator accounts to the affected sites.

In late August Internet Brands, the company behind vBulletin, issued a warning to all customers running versions 4.x and 5.x of its software, that they needed to remove two directories ( "/install" and "/core/install") on sites using the system or they would leave themselves open to an unspecified attack.

It seems that many customers didn't listen, and security company Imperva has revealed that over 35,000 websites running vBulletin have been hacked using this vulnerability. EA, Zynga, Sony and Steam are all listed as vBulletin customers on the company's website.

Root cause

While Internet Brands didn't specify the root cause of the vulnerability, Imperva was able to determine how attacks breached the websites' security.

The security flaw "allows an attacker to abuse the vBulletin configuration mechanism in order to create a secondary administrative account."

Once the hacker creates the account, they will have full control over the exploited vBulletin application, and subsequently the site supported by its CMS.

The people behind the attacks have been able to quickly identify websites which could be vulnerable to attack, and according to Amichai Shulman, Imperva's chief technology officer, the attackers could be using a botnet - a group of hacked PCs - to get around a problem of retrieving automated results.

Automated

Speaking to security researcher Brian Krebs, Shulman said: "In order to infect 30,000 targets in such a short period of time you need Google, but the problem is that you can't retrieve so many search results that easily in an automated way. Google may show you that there are 30,000 [vulnerable target sites], but when you start scrolling through them all you may get to maybe page five or six [before] you get a message that your machine is performing automated queries, and it will start showing you CAPTCHA," challenges to block automated lookups. "And if I repeat this behaviour from the same Internet address, I'll get blocked for a certain period of time."

By distributing the searches through many different internet addressepers by using a botnet, the attackers can overcome this problem.

"These guys can instruct each part of that distributed network to perform a partial search that would return a part of the entire results," Imperva's director of security strategy, Barry Shteiman said. "That way they can get the list sliced into much smaller pieces that a single machine can then crawl and scrape."

vBulletin has refused to confirm or deny if the vulnerability found by imperva is the same one it wanred about in late August, simply repeating the advise it gave initially, to remove the "/install" and/or "/core/install" folders. If you operate a vBulletin site and still have those directories installed, it is probalby worth while checking to see if any new administrator accounts have been added recently.

To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail: d.gilbert@ibtimes.co.uk
    To contact the editor, e-mail: editor@ibtimes.co.uk

dirty old man...
    Quote Originally Posted by MEZRO View Post
    There is a long time member of this board with a serious health issue asking for advice/suggestions from his fellow members, yet most members of this forum are steering clear of the site because it was hacked.

http://classicvanhalen.com/forum/sho...o-sell-guitars

Maybe this is the point where the hacker packs up his bag of tricks and clears off?

Or maybe members can return to this community and help, assist, or advise their friend in need?

not sure what this part of your post meant, but I hope no one thinks that I am a hacker doing damage to this site...
    I have had many years of enjoyment out of this site, just been down a lot lately due to health issues...
    have to say, I am disappointed to come back and not find many familiar faces...
    but i'm sure you folks who I don't know are fine people, too

peace...
    ...Dave
    Talent. Hard work. Quality product.
    Ron's Custom Guitars.
    I am a proud owner of one.
    Everything else is just a TOY!!!
    Dave G 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G 5150 View Post
    not sure what this part of your post meant, but I hope no one thinks that I am a hacker doing damage to this site...
    I have had many years of enjoyment out of this site, just been down a lot lately due to health issues...

peace...
    ...Dave
    Not at all Dave. What I pointed out was that due to the hacker and the warnings of malware on google, members were avoiding the site just when you needed advice, help and support in selling your guitars, which was a shame.

The hacker was from the middle east and had taken down many other sites as well. It was known all along that the hacker was not a member of this site, but had registered as an administrator and had left the site with only about four of us posting at the time.

I'm sure some of the older/former members view the site even if they only log in on the odd occasion.

Kind regards

MEZRO

Love ya moms......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave G 5150 View Post

peace...
    ...Dave
    Hey Dave LTNS.....Hope you get your health issues taken care of.
    Miss your pics btw.........

No cheer******s allowed!
    Wishing you all the best, Dave!

I am so sorry to hear of the reoccurring health issues, man.
    Hang in there.

Hopefully Freak will forgive my unilateral decision, but I've added a global announcement that directs people to dave's page. hopefully that will drum up some traffic.
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

Also, on an unrelated note: If you visit the site much and have adblock installed, I'm sure it would be appreciated if you disabled it for this site, and maybe clicked on of the more innocuous ads once in a while. My understanding of google ads is that sites get paid after click through.

That has nothing to do with the hack. I'm just pointing out that every little bit helps the site stay afloat.
    A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.
    Frank Zappa

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishfly View Post
    Also, on an unrelated note: If you visit the site much and have adblock installed, I'm sure it would be appreciated if you disabled it for this site, and maybe clicked on of the more innocuous ads once in a while. My understanding of google ads is that sites get paid after click through.

That has nothing to do with the hack. I'm just pointing out that every little bit helps the site stay afloat.
    I never thought to do that before, but I will make it a point to click those.