Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Van Halen + David Lee Roth to re-record 5150 as if Dave never left the band in 1985?
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Van Halen + David Lee Roth to re-record 5150 as if Dave never left the band in 1985?

Listening to the tracks from The Wild Side, where we can hear the transition from the '1984' sound to the '5150' sound, especially the parts that sound a bit like 'Good Enough', has got me thinking...

Maybe Eddie and Dave should revisit the early 5150 album tapes, stuff like, 'Eat Thy Neighbour', bring them up to date and record a new record as if '5150' was never recorded and as if Dave had never left Van Halen in 1985.

Now that would be an interesting project.

Was this the last photo of Eddie and Dave together before they split?

In fact, why not get the whole team back together, Michael Anthony, Kevin Dugan, Pete Angelus, Rudy Leiren, Ted Templeman, Donn Landee, Ed Anderson, Neil Zlozower....?

Maybe that would require a lot of faith in these guys from the Van Halen's and Dave, and an ability to step out of their comfort zone?

At the end of 2013, it will be 30 years since the release of '1984'. Maybe Van Halen should hold a party to celebrate it's anniversary and send invites out to all those who were part of the crew and staff from that era.

With a lot of these talented and creative people around the Van Halen's and Dave, I can't help but think that great things would flow.

Was this the last Van Halen band promo pic before David Lee Roth left? Despite Eddie's attempt at a smile, they don't look happy!
    Last edited by DLR 1973; September 24th, 2013 at 05:43 AM.

Dave has changed quite a lot since 1985

EVH diehard ...
    Sammy's legal ties to that music would never allow such a project to happen , IMO .

It's nice to see that you'd wanna hear Dave singing over WCTBL and "The Inside" , though
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Listening to the tracks from The Wild Side, where we can hear the transition from the '1984' sound to the '5150' sound, especially the parts that sound a bit like 'Good Enough', has got me thinking...

Maybe Eddie and Dave should revisit the early 5150 album tapes, stuff like, 'Eat Thy Neighbour', bring them up to date and record a new record as if '5150' was never recorded and as if Dave had never left Van Halen in 1985.

Now that would be an interesting project.

While that period is my least favorite of the classic Van Halen years, I am wondering if those will be the tapes that they mine from this time around. I would rather they didn't, but I can picture EVH just sending hours of those jams over to Roth, and saying "pick out the parts you like, have your engineer arrange them the way you like, and get some melodies going. Then, send it to me, and I will work on it. I will send it back to you, and...", etc.

I think working with mostly old stuff is either lazy, or shows a lack of confidence. I'm hopeful that EVH is now confident enough to work up some new stuff, that is more of an expression of where he is NOW.

Only a little tardy
    Eh...

I don't think I'd be interested in hearing that.

There's plenty of other demo era songs to re-do than to go back and re-do Hagar songs.

No.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Git some!
    I've already heard an album with a bunch of redone demo tunes, I don't want another. ADKoT was a good comeback, but I'd rather they fall flat out on completely new stuff rather than play it safe on older tunes.
    Ready, Eddie!

Wait a second!

I understand you all want to hear new music, but wasn't the majority of the music on the six pack wrote between 1974 and 1978?

'Van Halen I' was more like a greatest hits of Van Halen 1974 - 78 with what was left going on Van Halen II, and then WACF etc...

I don't care where it comes from, just as long as it gets recorded and released a.s.a.p.

Yours truly, As Is
    I'll always be intrigued by anything the 3 Twins do with Dave, but yeah, gotta say I hope the new album is not 1984-85 demos re-done.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Dave has changed quite a lot since 1985

Wow, never seen that first pic of Dave, with the incredible Jaclyn Smith. Forget Farrah Fawcett, Jaclyn was the "perfect" Charlie's Angel.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!