Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ? - Page 9
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Git some!
    Please, if there is a God, may there not be keyboards on the next album...
    Ready, Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    Please, if there is a God, may there not be keyboards on the next album...
    I think the next Van Halen album will have keyboards, mandobass, accoustic guitars, steel drums, horns, xylophones, bagpipes, choirs, strings and maracas. Oh and maybe a little electric guitar, just for the purists.

Only a little tardy
    And a theremin.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    And a theremin.

I would love to see Eddie play something like that, or anything out of the ordinary. Whatever instrument he plays, he always manages to make it sound Van Halenized.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    That's exactly what I want. That is what great artists do. They don't retread old shit. Van Halen has a loyal fanbase, and plenty of people that are willing to take the trip with him (as long as he is sharing the wheel with Roth, as opposed to sharing it with Hag's or Cherone).
    He did EXACTLY that back in 1997/98, and it was called VHIII, and it was a massive failure.
    Ed realizes his loyal fanbase only goes so far with him, which is partially why ADKOT was older
    material revised.

Everyone claims they want to hear where Ed is now, or a different side of Ed, and he gave it to
    us, and we rejected it (myself included).

The guy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    He did EXACTLY that back in 1997/98, and it was called VHIII, and it was a massive failure.
    Ed realizes his loyal fanbase only goes so far with him, which is partially why ADKOT was older
    material revised.

Everyone claims they want to hear where Ed is now, or a different side of Ed, and he gave it to
    us, and we rejected it (myself included).

The guy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    That was without Roth!!!

That is a huge difference. Don't even bother trying to compare anything he did with Gary Cherone to what he would come up with collaborating with Roth.

Dance Baby!
    Van Halen III, from concept to execution, was doomed to fail. Only because Eddie and Co. believed the fan base, be it connoisseurs of Roth or Hagar eras, would just play along. I don't think that album has yet to move a million units? This is right after the MTV foot in mouth episode. The most loyal fan can only take so much.

Van Halen lacked leadership and vision post Roth. Hagar, for his part, just rode the gravy train to Cabo, Tequila, HOF and whatever endeavor he could exploit while being a current and former Van Halen lead singer. The wanna be Prima Donna is still menstruating about Van Halen.

The failure of Van Halen III knocked the shit out of Eddie. IMO, he is only recently came out of that. His son has a lot to do with it, but I believe Dave being back with Van Halen has allowed Eddie to take that much needed "Deep Breath." Dave's can carry some of that burden. Eddie can now be focus on the music and the tools of his craft. Wolf knew where the band's real legacy lies. Dave knows what Van Halen is meant to be. It's not just some band, like Sammy thinks. Van Halen is a state of mind as much as it is "Big Rock."

I have no problem with ADKOT being full of recycled bits and pieces of Van Halen's past. It's the new stuff on the album that makes me look forward to a NEW album.

What I would like in a new album...

Somehow capture that warm and organic feel of the 70's. Give me Eddie on the left, Wolf on the right, Alex everywhere and Dave in the middle. I don't need everything compressed and textured. Let it breath for God's sake!

Covers? I don't care. Van Halen would make it their own.

Hagar era covers? Probably not. Wouldn't Sammy get a cut of that pie? I don't know, but I really don't think Eddie and Alex would like to pay anymore money to Sammy then they are legally bond to. However, I would love for them to take one or two songs from that era. Completely rework it and perform it live. Summer Nights? Van Halenize a Hagar tune. If they could pull it off, it would be a middle finger in the eye of Sammy. That's worth it, IMO.

Keyboards? If it's a piano and it's has a blues feel to it. SURE. As for, keyboards for enhancing the sound. NO!

I think Van Halen has to get back to it's basics.

Keep it simple.
    Daniel (1994-2013)

Only a little tardy
    I think the experimental train is long past its due. Especially keys, it's too dated now. Piano might be okay, if they did something like "Could this be Magic?" that would be really cool. Eddie or Alex on piano, Roth on that 12 string he likes. 1234 was talking about the show tune style they used to do, that would harken back to it.

IMO, ADKOT is the modernized feel of 70s Van Halen. However, with 2012 Audio production, which I'm okay with. It still sounded like Van Halen to me. I don't know if they would ever do the old style again with the bass and guitar panned right and left respectively. Eddie could put his foot down on it, but we don't know if he cares for things like that.

I really don't want to hear a Hagar tune live or in the next album. Reworked or not, No.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by punkatomic View Post
    Van Halen III, from concept to execution, was doomed to fail. Only because Eddie and Co. believed the fan base, be it connoisseurs of Roth or Hagar eras, would just play along. I don't think that album has yet to move a million units? This is right after the MTV foot in mouth episode. The most loyal fan can only take so much.

Van Halen lacked leadership and vision post Roth. Hagar, for his part, just rode the gravy train to Cabo, Tequila, HOF and whatever endeavor he could exploit while being a current and former Van Halen lead singer. The wanna be Prima Donna is still menstruating about Van Halen.

The failure of Van Halen III knocked the shit out of Eddie. IMO, he is only recently came out of that. His son has a lot to do with it, but I believe Dave being back with Van Halen has allowed Eddie to take that much needed "Deep Breath." Dave's can carry some of that burden. Eddie can now be focus on the music and the tools of his craft. Wolf knew where the band's real legacy lies. Dave knows what Van Halen is meant to be. It's not just some band, like Sammy thinks. Van Halen is a state of mind as much as it is "Big Rock."

I have no problem with ADKOT being full of recycled bits and pieces of Van Halen's past. It's the new stuff on the album that makes me look forward to a NEW album.

What I would like in a new album...

Somehow capture that warm and organic feel of the 70's. Give me Eddie on the left, Wolf on the right, Alex everywhere and Dave in the middle. I don't need everything compressed and textured. Let it breath for God's sake!

Covers? I don't care. Van Halen would make it their own.

Hagar era covers? Probably not. Wouldn't Sammy get a cut of that pie? I don't know, but I really don't think Eddie and Alex would like to pay anymore money to Sammy then they are legally bond to. However, I would love for them to take one or two songs from that era. Completely rework it and perform it live. Summer Nights? Van Halenize a Hagar tune. If they could pull it off, it would be a middle finger in the eye of Sammy. That's worth it, IMO.

Keyboards? If it's a piano and it's has a blues feel to it. SURE. As for, keyboards for enhancing the sound. NO!

I think Van Halen has to get back to it's basics.

Keep it simple.
    I basically agree with all of this. The only thing that threw me off was the Hagar cover part. Is there anyone here that really thinks it's at all likely that Roth would ever redo some Hagar tunes?

I have no problem with EVH playing keyboards again. I don't think it's fair to assume that just because it blew with the other guys, that it would with Roth. I hope it's more organic, too.

EVH+Keys+Roth has been pretty good so far (I would be ecstatic with something equal to I'll Wait, Jump, Cradle, Sunday, Intruder, even Dancing In the Streets. I like all of those).

It has been discussed plenty here, that I think Roth has a lot more to do with organizing the songs than people seem to think. I always thought Gary Cherone was lame, and that Extreme sucked, so it was no surprise to me that EVH+ Cherone also sucked. The guitar songs sucked, and the keyboard songs sucked. It had nothing to do with the instrumentation.

If there is one thing I thought we all agreed on, it's that it's a whole different movie when Roth is involved.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I think the experimental train is long past its due. Especially keys, it's too dated now. Piano might be okay, if they did something like "Could this be Magic?" that would be really cool. Eddie or Alex on piano, Roth on that 12 string he likes. 1234 was talking about the show tune style they used to do, that would harken back to it.

IMO, ADKOT is the modernized feel of 70s Van Halen. However, with 2012 Audio production, which I'm okay with. It still sounded like Van Halen to me. I don't know if they would ever do the old style again with the bass and guitar panned right and left respectively. Eddie could put his foot down on it, but we don't know if he cares for things like that.

I really don't want to hear a Hagar tune live or in the next album. Reworked or not, No.
    Unfortunately, I think you are right about the experimenting (I had posted about what I think it will take for them to make a GREAT record. I just expect ADKoT-part II though).

A song with Roth on 12-string and EVH on piano could be really cool! That's the kind of thing I want to hear.

I don't expect the old mix style to happen again either (the Hagar thing is not gonna happen). I think ADKoT is the modernized feel of 70's VH too, that's what I hope changes! I can accept that it was their first record back, and they were just getting going again. Using the old tune demos was fine, no problem with that, but now the nostalgia trip is over.