Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 215
  1. #41
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH_Erupted View Post
    A link to said interview would be nice.
    Sorry .
    You probably should know by now that I'm not skilled with stuff like that .
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  2. #42
    EVH diehard ...
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,146
    I'd be curious and excited to to hear some instrument swapping , for a track or two , on a new VH cd ...

    Alex on keyboards . Wolf on guitar . Eddie on drums . Etc.
    We know these guys are multi-taskers . Let's hear it !

    Hope there's no tuba or cheese whistle though ... Haha
    "There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone ..."
    "Who Dares , Wins ..."
    "Van Halen was never about the singer ..."

  3. #43
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    I'm really feeling the Van Halen tonight!

    Been listening to the Warner Demos (and lots of the Hammersmith 1978 show), and I have to say it's really making me wistful. **

    It has me thinking about what I want from the next VH record. Hearing how they captured the moment, their enthusiasm and energy, got me thinking that what I really want from them, isn't a facsimile of the old stuff (which is pretty much what they were doing on ADKoT), but something they really feel NOW, as a group of people, because that's the only way to make GREAT music.


    **Michael Anthony was fucking great. His background harmonies on songs like "Feel Your Love Tonight" are magical, and a crucial ingredient to who they were THEN. I don't know if Wolf can supply his own crucial ingredient. I hope so...
    I wonder if Roth brought up Mike as much for social reasons, as musical, or understands that MA brought something to the interpersonal dynamics in the band (even if the 2 didn't like each other) that's missing, and might not be apparent to the fans...I don't know.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 23rd, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I'm really feeling the Van Halen tonight!

    Been listening to the Warner Demos (and lots of the Hammersmith 1978 show), and I have to say it's really making me wistful. **

    It has me thinking about what I want from the next VH record. Hearing how they captured the moment, their enthusiasm and energy, got me thinking that what I really want from them, isn't a facsimile of the old stuff (which is pretty much what they were doing on ADKoT), but something they really feel NOW, as a group of people, because that's the only way to make GREAT music.


    **Michael Anthony was fucking great. His background harmonies on songs like "Feel Your Love Tonight", are magical, and a crucial ingredient to who they were THEN. I don't know if Wolf can supply his own crucial ingredient. I hope so...
    I wonder if Roth brought up Mike as much for social reasons, as musical, or understands that MA brought something to the interpersonal dynamics in the band (even if the 2 didn't like each other) that's missing, and might not be apparent to the fans...I don't know.
    I think Dave knows that Van Halen have an opportunity to enhance their legacy by recording new classic Van Halen material, and without Mike they are missing the mark by a country mile.

    Wolfgang doesn't belong in the group, just like Sammy or Gary don't belong in Van Halen. I don't care how ever many people say without Wolfgang there would be no Van Halen. With Wolfgang in the band there is no Van Halen anyway.

    Mike is a one off, they can't replicate him. Look at all the stick Van Halen got for piping in Mike's vocals on the 2007 -2008 tour. All we hear is how good the vocals sounded on that tour compared to 2012 - 2013. That's because Mikes vocals weren't piped in on the 2012 - 2013 tour. Even in South Park, it's Mike on backing vocals.

    No wonder Dave wants Mike back in.

    I would also like to hear some current new music from them. Their musical tastes must have changed since 1984 and they should reflect that and see where it takes them.

  5. #45
    Yours truly, As Is
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Starwood, WA or is it Gazzariville?
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    I think Dave knows that Van Halen have an opportunity to enhance their legacy by recording new classic Van Halen material, and without Mike they are missing the mark by a country mile.

    Wolfgang doesn't belong in the group, just like Sammy or Gary don't belong in Van Halen. I don't care how ever many people say without Wolfgang there would be no Van Halen. With Wolfgang in the band there is no Van Halen anyway.

    Mike is a one off, they can't replicate him. Look at all the stick Van Halen got for piping in Mike's vocals on the 2007 -2008 tour. All we hear is how good the vocals sounded on that tour compared to 2012 - 2013. That's because Mikes vocals weren't piped in on the 2012 - 2013 tour. Even in South Park, it's Mike on backing vocals.

    No wonder Dave wants Mike back in.

    I would also like to hear some current new music from them. Their musical tastes must have changed since 1984 and they should reflect that and see where it takes them.
    I dont recall too much grumbling about the BACKING vocals on the just wrapped tour. It was all about Dave's vocals on this tour. However, I do remember people not liking Wolf's "vocals" in 2007, among other things, which I always found ironic since some people did believe they piped in Mike's vocals, at least at certain times on certain songs. We know you dont like Wolf and that you're obsessed with Mike. We get it. But dont make things up to prove your point. Obviously, you can go to any youtube comments section and bring up "fans" with axes to grind who will rip on Wolf. Give me somebody who actually saw a show live, that says the vocals "sucked", or were WORSE than 2007. Backing vocals, not lead. I've yet to see anyone say the backing vocals in 2007 were clearly superior to those in 2012-13. Well, except for you, and you didnt see a show "live" from either tour.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

    Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

    Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

  6. #46
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    It wasn't really my intention to reopen the MA issue (though I certainly knew it might happen).

    I mentioned him because the sound and spirit that we hear on the Demos was something that they generated collectively, and I wonder if Roth understands that maybe a bit better than the brothers (who seem to think that "Van Halen" is anything they put their name on, but it's true in NAME only). I understand why MA isn't there (I think someone from their own age group would be better, maybe an old Pasadena/LA music scene acquaintance that all the guys hung with), but it's Wolf.

    I think it's easier to get to that "collective" feeling (generating a unique sound and vibe like the early records) with people you already know (Roth KNOWS he is capable of getting something special with MA, because he already has). In the early years, they were doing goofy shit, like singing commercials in 3-part harmony, and elements of that kind of interaction became part of the band's sound.

    I will say that Van Hagar has that collective spirit, even if I didn't like it. ADKoT didn't really, to me.

    I don't expect them to do the same stuff, but I do want them to have a genuine "collective spirit" to what they are doing.
    I also want to hear something from Wolf that is "signature". Something that is identifiable as WVH, be it vocally, or in his playing style.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 23rd, 2013 at 04:45 PM.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    It wasn't really my intention to reopen the MA issue (though I certainly knew it might happen).

    I mentioned him because the sound and spirit that we hear on the Demos was something that they generated collectively, and I wonder if Roth understands that maybe a bit better than the brothers (who seem to think that "Van Halen" is anything they put their name on, but it's true in NAME only). I understand why MA isn't there (I think someone from their own age group would be better, maybe an old Pasadena/LA music scene acquaintance that all the guys hung with), but it's Wolf.

    I think it's easier to get to that "collective" feeling (generating a unique sound and vibe like the early records) with people you already know (Roth KNOWS he is capable of getting something special with MA, because he already has). In the early years, they were doing goofy shit, like singing commercials in 3-part harmony, and elements of that kind of interaction became part of the band's sound.

    I will say that Van Hagar has that collective spirit, even if I didn't like it. ADKoT didn't really, to me.

    I don't expect them to do the same stuff, but I do want them to have a genuine "collective spirit" to what they are doing.
    I also want to hear something from Wolf that is "signature". Something that is identifiable as WVH, be it vocally, or in his playing style.
    Maybe I was a little forthright with my viewpoint. But I do agree, ADKOT didn't have the same collective feel to it. I think thats because they had the Van Halen's in one corner and Dave in the other with tracks sent over to him for Dave to write lyrics to.

    On that note, I must admit, it wouldn't have mattered if Mike was in or out the band.

    They should all be in the same room as they're writing and composing the songs, bouncing ideas off one another.

    All being said though, ADKOT did surprise me with how good it was. Ok it's not perfect, but it is far better than any of the Van Hagar or VH III records, and I'm still playing it today, which is the sign of a good album.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    I dont recall too much grumbling about the BACKING vocals on the just wrapped tour. It was all about Dave's vocals on this tour. However, I do remember people not liking Wolf's "vocals" in 2007, among other things, which I always found ironic since some people did believe they piped in Mike's vocals, at least at certain times on certain songs. We know you dont like Wolf and that you're obsessed with Mike. We get it. But dont make things up to prove your point. Obviously, you can go to any youtube comments section and bring up "fans" with axes to grind who will rip on Wolf. Give me somebody who actually saw a show live, that says the vocals "sucked", or were WORSE than 2007. Backing vocals, not lead. I've yet to see anyone say the backing vocals in 2007 were clearly superior to those in 2012-13. Well, except for you, and you didnt see a show "live" from either tour.
    It's true that I haven't seen a live show on either of the tours since they reunited with Dave. If they visit Europe then I will have my chance.

    But I am entitled to my opinion. Yes it is based on what I have listened to on recordings including youtube videos.

    To be honest, I do like Wolfgang. I think he's a extremely talented musician. But having had Dave out of the band for so many years, when they finally did get him back in, I was so frustrated when they kicked Mike out.

    They are so close to capturing the Classic Van Halen sound, but haven't got all of the ingredients.

    I don't want them to sound the same that they did on Van Halen I, or Van Halen II, etc, I want a modern Van Halen sound, but with all the key components.

    Wolfgang, as nice as he is, hasn't brought anything really special to the mix yet. Therefore, I naturally would rather have Mike on Bass and backing vocals.

  9. #49
    Giving Dave A Break
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    482
    Wolfgang has bought something really special to the mix - a touring & recording Van Halen

  10. #50
    Band Manager
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Maybe I was a little forthright with my viewpoint. But I do agree, ADKOT didn't have the same collective feel to it. I think thats because they had the Van Halen's in one corner and Dave in the other with tracks sent over to him for Dave to write lyrics to.

    On that note, I must admit, it wouldn't have mattered if Mike was in or out the band.

    They should all be in the same room as they're writing and composing the songs, bouncing ideas off one another.

    All being said though, ADKOT did surprise me with how good it was. Ok it's not perfect, but it is far better than any of the Van Hagar or VH III records, and I'm still playing it today, which is the sign of a good album.
    I accept ADKoT, understand the circumstances it was made under, and why they might want to use old material, but the next record should be BETTER, and more unique.

    I want a distinctive new flavor. Not something attempting to recreate the past in any way. I guess I'm saying this in response to fans that want to hear something approximating the early stuff (I was one of them). But now I'm saying I want them to let that go, and not work in the shadow of the old stuff, which is too much what ADKoT sounded like to me. No more "Let's try to capture the spirit of the early stuff", but a true reflection of their lives, and collective music tastes now.
    Last edited by 1234over; November 23rd, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen @ Superbowl 2014 !!!!
    By Heisenberg in forum Main Classic Van Halen Discussion Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: September 15th, 2013, 06:44 PM
  2. 2014 S.Bowl outdoors New Jersey
    By JONEZY in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
  3. Recording help
    By Sinner Swing 32 in forum Non-VH Related Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
  4. *** Home Recording ***
    By BadassMOFO in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
  5. You Really Got Me, a new recording
    By Ralle 500 in forum The Guitar Shop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 9th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •