Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ? - Page 20
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Only a little tardy
    I think calling Wolf a virtuoso is a bit of a stretch. Great player, but he hasn't completely mastered the instrument. Even if his dad is Eddie.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick AVH fan View Post
    I think calling Wolf a virtuoso is a bit of a stretch. Great player, but he hasn't completely mastered the instrument. Even if his dad is Eddie.
    I didn't mean to imply he was a virtuoso, because i know he is not.

I do think he's a more interesting Bassist than Mike was.
    Mike was not crap at all, Mike was solid, but not a varied or unique player.
    Mike supplied the essential backing vocal, though.
    Wolf is a solid singer, he fills the void.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I didn't mean to imply he was a virtuoso, because i know he is not.

I do think he's a more interesting Bassist than Mike was.
    Mike was not crap at all, Mike was solid, but not a varied or unique player.
    Mike supplied the essential backing vocal, though.
    Wolf is a solid singer, he fills the void.
    Wolfgang is certainly not a more interesting player to watch on the youtube videos.

He might as well be a session player.

The stage presence , charisma, energy, and a certain amount of showmanship left with Mike.

Mike took a little bit of Van Halen with him when he left and when I watch the youtube videos, it shows.

Can we not just accept that Wolfgang has taken on an almost impossible job, replacing someone that he is not. It's not through any fault of his own.

I used to feel that when Sammy and Gary were in Van Halen, they were obviously blocking Dave returning to Van Halen. I'm starting to feel that way about Wolfgang and Mike.

At least Mitch Malloy bailed when he saw what they were doing to Dave at the MTV awards in 1996.

Gary should also have said no.

Band Manager
    It's really odd how a post can be interpreted in so many different ways.

I just want Wolf to have a real impact on the music. If he does, then it's gonna sound significantly different. Mike brought what he had, now it's time for WVH to do the same. Yeah, he did some unison lines with EVH, but big fucking deal. I'm talking about having an identifiable style that adds something to the music, and changes it's character. Nothing he did had any real impact to my ears. And VH just making records/touring is NOT enough any more. I want great music, or just retire.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Nothing he did had any impact?

In Wolf's defense, he's played on ONE record, and he didn't have the good fortune
    to be playing with Van Halen during their creative peak, like Mike did.

He is the bass player, how much of a musical impact do you expect him to make?
    Eddie & Dave remain the creative nucleus they have always been.

I'm just not sure what you want him to do.

His greatest impact is keeping VH going, and suggesting smart tunes for the setlist.
    He is a catalyst for there being a VH in 2013.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    Wolfgang is certainly not a more interesting player to watch on the youtube videos.

He might as well be a session player.

The stage presence , charisma, energy, and a certain amount of showmanship left with Mike.

Mike took a little bit of Van Halen with him when he left and when I watch the youtube videos, it shows.

Can we not just accept that Wolfgang has taken on an almost impossible job, replacing someone that he is not. It's not through any fault of his own.

I used to feel that when Sammy and Gary were in Van Halen, they were obviously blocking Dave returning to Van Halen. I'm starting to feel that way about Wolfgang and Mike.

At least Mitch Malloy bailed when he saw what they were doing to Dave at the MTV awards in 1996.

Gary should also have said no.
    I'm talking about musically (being a more interesting Bass player).

Whether we talk about Dave or Mike, you always focus on the visual aspect,
    while i look at the musical end.

Band Manager
    Wolf me not be a virtuoso in the truest sense, but relative to MA's playing he virtuoso - like.
    My intention is not to debate the definition.

In any event, on his album debut - ADKoT - Wolf did break new stylistic ground, and take VH music to different places than Michael Anthony did.
    And I happen to like Mikes playing, and his voice.

But Wolgang and Eds interplay is indeed a new dimension in VH, and it's something that we will most likely see further explored on the next outing.
    To say his playing is like a session players playing...
    Well, what does that mean?
    In my book, a session bass player would play it simple and just hold the bottom end down.
    Be totally non distinct.
    That's not what Wolfs playing on ADKoT is.
    To argue otherwise is, well...
    Trolling.

A case of Michael Anthony Tourettes Syndrome.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    Nothing he did had any impact?

In Wolf's defense, he's played on ONE record, and he didn't have the good fortune
    to be playing with Van Halen during their creative peak, like Mike did.

He is the bass player, how much of a musical impact do you expect him to make?
    Eddie & Dave remain the creative nucleus they have always been.

I'm just not sure what you want him to do.

His greatest impact is keeping VH going, and suggesting smart tunes for the setlist.
    He is a catalyst for there being a VH in 2013.
    I expect him to have as much impact as Michael Anthony. I realize he only played on one record, so I gave him a pass. Now it's been 2 tours, a record, and 6 years.

Keeping them going isn't enough for me. It's not a human interest story "Wolfgang keeps guitar hero dad out of the rocking chair". Fuck that. This is Van Halen we are talking about, and I want greatness, because that is what I listen to them for (or else why are we here?). "Pretty good" is fine for Journey, Foreigner, or Styx. The nostalgia trip is over for me.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Wolf me not be a virtuoso in the truest sense, but relative to MA's playing he virtuoso - like.
    My intention is not to debate the definition.

In any event, on his album debut - ADKoT - Wolf did break new stylistic ground, and take VH music to different places than Michael Anthony did.
    And I happen to like Mikes playing, and his voice.

But Wolgang and Eds interplay is indeed a new dimension in VH, and it's something that we will most likely see further explored on the next outing.
    To say his playing is like a session players playing...
    Well, what does that mean?
    In my book, a session bass player would play it simple and just hold the bottom end down.
    Be totally non distinct.
    That's not what Wolfs playing on ADKoT is.
    To argue otherwise is, well...
    Trolling.

A case of Michael Anthony Tourettes Syndrome.

His playing is anything but distinct, and I'm no Michael Anthony apologist. I can accept WVH just fine, but he needs to make a difference musically. I can't pick out anything about his playing that is "signature". I'm ready to have them pointed out to me though...

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpyliberalbuster32 View Post
    Um, 2013 Michael Anthony does not have the voice 1984 Michael Anthony had. That was his only strength over Wolfgang and it's gone. I'd accept Mike back with open arms but let's not pretend Wolfgang's musical ability is hindering the band, because that's just not true.
    Thank you Wimpy. Wolf sounded fantastic every single night of the tour. His vocals need to be heard more on the next album.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!