Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Are VH recording a new cd for 2014 ? - Page 17
Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Only a little tardy
    I wouldn't mind a continuation of what they did with ADKOT: mixing blues rockers with the hard hitters and big rock. Just like they were known for back in the day. I doubt they will go modern.
    http://imgur.com/Yij2gqN

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedguitars View Post
    I was the one that said, "Why do VH have to abandon their style?"

I just hope to God they don't try and be "current" and have Kid Rock guest on one song.
    1234 wants big changes, something fresh, but i don't want them to change their signature
    sound & writing, too much.
    I really don't think I got across what I meant by change. I don't want changes (especially "modern" sounds) like the ones that are being discussed. Not Van Halen plays Country, or Rap, or Meringue, or the Charleston...none of that nonsense. Mainly, I don't want them consciously emulating the past.

Band Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    Well, what exactly do you want, Van Halen Does Country? Rap Rock? Techno? They've always sounded different on every album, and done a variety of styles and song structures. ADKOT had this, and I believe the next record will, as well. As UG, or maybe it was Nick(?) said, WHY does Van Halen have to completely abandon who they are? I want Big Rock: blazing riffs and solos, two hand tapping, jungle drums, crash-as-ride cymbal wash, vocal harmonies, the "Alex" snare, etc.
    I didn't say that I want anything different from them than what I'd expect them to deliver.
    I was just responding to the post.

And yes, VH would not - and should not abandon who they are.
    The truth is VH has always delivered an assortment of styles on each and everyone one of their recordings.

Band Manager

Not so sure their musical and artistic approach has changed that much since '78.

They've always grooved to the beat of their own drums. ( w/ DLR ) They didn't concern themselves with what was current then, ( disco ) , and I dont anticipate much change now. Each album IS different and unique unto itself, but retains the same characteristic velocity and pizzazz. Could be a large part of what makes them so awesome and why we love them so much for so long.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; December 6th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

No cheer******s allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Not so sure their musical and artistic approach has changed that much since '78.

They've always grooved to the beat of their own drums. ( w/ DLR ) They didn't concern themselves with what was current then, ( disco ) , and I dont anticipate much change now. Each album IS different and unique unto itself, but retains the same characteristic velocity and pizzazz. Could be a large part of what makes them so awesome and why we love them so much for so long.
    But that was the band back then (78-84).

Around 5150, they sort of chained themselves to a more predictable (less pizzazz) approach.
    Even with DLR back in the fold, i think Ed still has traces of that style in him (ADKOT, parts of it had
    a little F.U.C.K. in it).

But VH in '78 was a different animal.

Band Manager
    I think people are overplaying this "every album was so different" and "VH played all these different styles". They had a basic sound from the debut through Diver Down, changed things up with 1984. After that, they were a different band.

I know they have had different flavors, but those first 5 were pretty similar. I mean, if you are comparing them to heavy bands like AC/DC, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden, then yeah, VH has more variety. But I don't think variation has been their calling card. Especially production-wise, the first 5, then again, the change for "1984".

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1234over View Post
    I think people are overplaying this "every album was so different" and "VH played all these different styles". They had a basic sound from the debut through Diver Down, changed things up with 1984. After that, they were a different band.

I know they have had different flavors, but those first 5 were pretty similar. I mean, if you are comparing them to heavy bands like AC/DC, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden, then yeah, VH has more variety. But I don't think variation has been their calling card. Especially production-wise, the first 5, then again, the change for "1984".
    I would disagree somewhat, depending on where we put the emphasis on the term "change". Yes, they kept the basic VH "Big Rock" formula the same, but Ed's guitar and Al's drums never sounded the same for more than one album. And they did play several different styles or genres, even if it was just for a song or two.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Yours truly, As Is
    I dont imagine that when most people heard "Running With The Devil" or "On Fire" in 1978, that in 4 yrs they thought they would be hearing the same guys playing "Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now".
    Last edited by Jungle Drummer; December 6th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Like Mike
    I don't think that the average listener hears the intricate changes to Eddie or Al's tones on those albums, or the production changes.

But us diehards are a different story...

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by vhfanjack View Post
    I don't think that the average listener hears the intricate changes to Eddie or Al's tones on those albums, or the production changes.

But us diehards are a different story...
    Yeah, maybe, but man it's hard to believe someone wouldnt notice the difference between the sound on WACF and VHII.

Of course, it's impossible for us to listen from an average listener's point of view.

On second thought, you're probably right. People dont seem to care about the shitty quality of the compressed audio on their ipods, so I dont think they care about tones...