Welcome to the ClassicVanHalen.com.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Drummer View Post
    With everybody talking about wanting VH to get back to the stripped down recording basics of WACF, I really hope they do the same with Dave and Wolf on the vocals, like they used to do with Dave and Mike. Wolf is very strong and really consistent.

I dont know, maybe the next record will be better than ADKOT...
    I think the next Van Halen record will be different to ADKOT. Whether people think it is better than ADKOT is down to personal opinion.

Also I think it will be hard to judge ADKOT against it's successor purely on record sales.

This in part will be due to declining record sales in general. The new record also won't have the benefit ADKOT had with being the first record with Dave in 28 years.

If the new record sounds like ADKOT II, then I'm sure it will gain negative reviews for not bringing anything new to the Van Halen catalog.

Van Halen have to do something different, take a left turn, go off on a tangent, and experiment a little.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    I think the next Van Halen record will be different to ADKOT. Whether people think it is better than ADKOT is down to personal opinion.

Also I think it will be hard to judge ADKOT against it's successor purely on record sales.

This in part will be due to declining record sales in general. The new record also won't have the benefit ADKOT had with being the first record with Dave in 28 years.

If the new record sounds like ADKOT II, then I'm sure it will gain negative reviews for not bringing anything new to the Van Halen catalog.

Van Halen have to do something different, take a left turn, go off on a tangent, and experiment a little.
    VH have never repeated themselves, even II had a much different sound than the debut, so I dont expect them to start now. I never base "better" on album sales, it's purely what MY ears like. That's why I will always like WACF better than the debut, regardless of how many more records VHI has sold.

A possible benefit a new album could have, is maybe the band will actually attempt to promote it. I'm still amazed and disappointed that Al didnt do a Modern Drummer cover story for ADKOT.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Duct Tape:A Drummer's best friend!

Band Manager
    VH have never repeated themselves, even II had a much different sound than the debut, so I dont expect them to start now. I never base "better" on album sales, it's purely what MY ears like. That's why I will always like WACF better than the debut, regardless of how many more records VHI has sold.

A possible benefit a new album could have, is maybe the band will actually attempt to promote it. I'm still amazed and disappointed that Al didnt do a Modern Drummer cover story for ADKOT.
    Well, they aren't going to reinvent their own wheel either.

I would expect more of the same from them on the next outing frankly.
    Stuff from the vault re-worked.
    A commercial stab.
    Something bluesy.
    And probably something more cutting edge like HBSD.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I just think that's what we'll get.
    I would expect more boundery pushing if Roth was at the helm, but we know that he's not.
    Perhaps Wolfie can push the brothers to try new things.

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Incomudro View Post
    Well, they aren't going to reinvent their own wheel either.

I would expect more of the same from them on the next outing frankly.
    Stuff from the vault re-worked.
    A commercial stab.
    Something bluesy.
    And probably something more cutting edge like HBSD.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I just think that's what we'll get.
    I would expect more boundery pushing if Roth was at the helm, but we know that he's not.
    Perhaps Wolfie can push the brothers to try new things.
    Well, what exactly do you want, Van Halen Does Country? Rap Rock? Techno? They've always sounded different on every album, and done a variety of styles and song structures. ADKOT had this, and I believe the next record will, as well. As UG, or maybe it was Nick(?) said, WHY does Van Halen have to completely abandon who they are? I want Big Rock: blazing riffs and solos, two hand tapping, jungle drums, crash-as-ride cymbal wash, vocal harmonies, the "Alex" snare, etc.
    "My favorite position for drumming was always a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. And checking out the women!"-Alex Van Halen

Proud to be an ADKOT loving, Drum Thread starting CVH "bad apple" to counterpoint pompous, self centered egotism.

Well, what exactly do you want, Van Halen Does Country? Rap Rock? Techno? They've always sounded different on every album, and done a variety of styles and song structures. ADKOT had this, and I believe the next record will, as well. As UG, or maybe it was Nick(?) said, WHY does Van Halen have to completely abandon who they are? I want Big Rock: blazing riffs and solos, two hand tapping, jungle drums, crash-as-ride cymbal wash, vocal harmonies, the "Alex" snare, etc.
    I want that too, but also a little bit of this...

Yours truly, As Is
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR 1973 View Post
    I want that too, but also a little bit of this...

Yep. A little bit of Dave on his accoustic is always a great ingredient to be added to a VH album.

Title of Van Halen's follow up record to ADKOT including track listing

This is the track listing that is currently being promoted over on the Dave sites.

Title of the follow up to ADKOT:
    "Wolfgang is our Savior"

Track Listing:

1) Michael Who?
    2) Grand Theft Auto 5 (sitting on the couch)
    3) Fat Boy Blues
    4) I can't believe it's not Van Halen (feat fabio)
    5) Listen to the news (From Kody)
    6) 10 albums worth of material
    7) See ya in 18 months ( or 28 years )
    8) Where's the background vocals?
    9) The classic lineup (I'll never give you)

It makes me wonder if the Van Halen's have a sense of humor with regard to well penned satirical predictions?

Git some!
    I don't know if I want them to turn into a blase blue-rock band. There are so many of those already. I'd rather them keep making balls-out music.
    Ready, Eddie!

No cheer******s allowed!
    I was the one that said, "Why do VH have to abandon their style?"

I just hope to God they don't try and be "current" and have Kid Rock guest on one song.
    1234 wants big changes, something fresh, but i don't want them to change their signature
    sound & writing, too much.

Giving Dave A Break
    At this stage of their career, changing things up would be a complete disaster. Imagine if AC/DC didn't play the same song for last 25 years, fans would walk away in droves.